HT LIMITING HAIR STYLES?

Look at Jo's pics

they looks great. No way anyone could think that was a HT's.

Jobi

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trying to answer the original issue: I am coming up on 9 months in a couple of weeks. I would say I've only been limited in hair styles for a couple reasons so far. 1) its still growing in 2) its growing slower than the native hair on the sides and back. My hair is very fine and straight and lays a very particular way, or pattern if you will. It has always naturally parted on the left side and I cannot change this. I can however make it "go backwards" with a buzz cut and gel, but thats really forcing it. I have had it trimmed a few times now to cut the frizzy ends off and its looking much much better as time goes on. I guess I should post some pics soon.

pushing,

your hair looks great. Very thick and I believe the reason why is that they dense packed it all in the front half of your head right? Did they say how many grafts you have in reserve and if that would be enough to fill in the crown and rest if you ever start thinning in those areas?

Regarding your hair style, I bet if you used putty/wax for styling you could do anything you wanted with it. That stuff is really thick and strong.

When they refer to "the front half of the head" does the second half include the crown if you end up with a NW5 pattern? Ive never been quite clear on that. Is it divided into thirds: the first being the front half of the top, the second being the second on top, and the third being the entire crown?

I hope JOTRONIC sees those other qustions regarding head size I have always wondered about this.

0_jessicaalba3.jpg.d41372f7b793ccdff563cfa82d3f7cd9.jpg

Looking at pushing40's results, it appears to me that he has enough density to style it any way he wants. Even at 6 months, when he has it combed back and wet, the density looks good enough to go with numerous hairstyle. Pushing40, do you have any dermatch or other product in your hair in those pictures?

Ng2gb,

This is a great topic and one that I am very interested in. I think if you have a density of 60-70 grafts dense-packed in the hairline, then you will be able to style your hair anyway you want. For me, I have to ask myself if I mind having a thin crown and a dense hairline later in life should I progress to a NW5 or higher. I have concluded that this is acceptable to me and actually preferable to have moderate to low density over my entire head. I think you can be a NW1.5 with a thinning crown and still look normal. However if you have a NW0 (juvenile hairline), Armani hairline with a thinning crown, that might look a little bizzare.

NW4,

Good point. I think that quite often the patients age is a huge factor. Pushing being 40, didn't need to worry as much about the dense packing of his hairline. I am like you and have more of a preference for the perfect hairline and frontal 1/3 and am willing to sacrifice for thinner mid and crown. If planned and done appropriately it can be pulled off well.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

I agree all of this must be taken into account. NW4, just to clarify you meant that..."I think you can be a NW 1 *TO* 5 with a thinning crown and still look normal"...with a dense packed hairline and moderate coverage every where else. correct?

can some one tell me when they divide the head into "thirds" as is commonly done, does the crown make up an entire third?

Jotronic, ever get a chance to check out the other questions regarding head size?

almost forgot about Alba...gotta love the one in the lower hand left corner.

jessica_alba_02.jpg.4c810161679b44b3be921dd8c7e9050f.jpg

NG2GB,

I am not 100 percent sure on this, but I believe that the crown is considered 1/2 but in some cases is slightly less.

Frontal-1/4

Mid-1/4

Crown-1/2

See Attached:

http://www.shapiromedical.com/smg/SMG_edu_pg_06.pdf

Yes, it stands to reason that an individual with a smaller head can cover things better with the equal number of grafts as someone with a head like Kazoo. However, smaller head might also mean less donor availability.

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

NN,

thanks that was a really cool hyperlink. I have always wondered about this as I often hear these terms thrown out there, but never defined. This makes an enormous difference. Lets face it, if your a NW7 and you have some big-ass crown to fill in, then the terms "one third" "half" or whatever can really make a material difference in the outcome when compared to the same terms applied to say a NW3.

So, by my lights this (your given definitions) is actually a good thing. In other words, when people are saying that "one third" of the scalp was dense packed, they are referring to HALF of the TOP of their scalp.

thats good news to me. thanks.

Man, I just took a closer look at that hyperlink. That is very informative.

my baby needs a spanking...

hotlady1.jpg.1d88ae1da602cdd60f89dd19305cb3e2.jpg

NG2GB,

NO. If they said they had 1/3 dense packed, likely that is the case. For example. Myself, I had approx. 2900 Fu in about 70 cm2, which will yield me a density of just over 40Fu/cm2. Ofcourse I had some previous work and native hair so if all goes according to plan my density will be quite a bit higher.

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Oh, so when they are throwing around these numbers it's completelly case specific? Like when they say "one third dense packed" and the patient had no crown thinning (as in pushing 40s' case) then it is ONLY referring to the TOP ONE THIRD of the scalp in contrast to the hyperlink which I would have interpreted as being HALF of the entire head including crown area? I'm a little confused now...

but not enough to stop me from another Alba...

jessica-alba-at-the-beach.jpg.29a8d2f8ba71f14764a235d7245e3f8f.jpg

tell me about it...you should see my screen saver...

No, I think you are explaining well. Maybe it's just that time that I go in for a consult and hear from the doc one on one.

But, according to that Shapiro link you sent (thanks for that, thats cool and never seen anything like it) the top of the scalp constitutes one half of the entire balding area on the average man *who has balding in the crown as well.

I think part of the problem lies in some ambiguity in patient details on ht websites. I think it should clearly say the patients size (in square cm) of the balding area along with the graft count that was placed there. You know they have to measure the size of the balding area in each case. They can not just eye ball it , they must do this to ensure an equal amount of graph placing to each area...I would really like to get to the bottom of this so I can find which hair blogs to compare to my own head. Some times I think the docs webpages are somewhat intentionally vague so they don't get guys who obsess over the Shuffles' of the ht world (wonder who that could be?) and complain if they don't get compereble results...

jessica_alba018b-1.jpg.a8f09ed5738cb23abcc606dc3f443646.jpg

Guest wanthairs

in any case....at least....at least now....7 months post op...i am glad to announce that i can actually have a hair style at last.....

I know. Look how sweet 'n innocent my girl looks here...

I just wanna make her do bad things. VERY bad things, then bend her over my knee, SPANK her sweet little ass and tell her how naughty she is and that she had better NEVER, EVER do what she just did again to ANYONE other than me...

1919_1616_Alba-Jessica-120703-03-400-lo.jpg.a0ac1f29d33750623126339f38e4a4bf.jpg

NGTGB,

Sorry, been at work all day without much time for posting.

1. What is the average balding area (in square cm) for a NW5a, which is what you said my pattern appears to be although diffused?

It's hard to say what the average is. I don't really think about it (maybe 200ish?) but I think the average is you are about there.

2. Do you guys measure the balding area of all your patients?

No. We find that hard numbers don't always work well but occasionally we will if we're discussing various issues with the patient and a measurement is warranted to answer a question but it is not standard procedure to do this. At the risk of being cliche' it really is more of an experience thing and understanding how to approach each case artistically. Same with determining donor density. You asked earlier if we measure it. No, we do not. Besides, donor density changes from one part of the donor scalp to the next and it doesn't affect the final number that is harvested so we estimate based on "eyeballing it" and make our move. We can tell from photos and of course even more so in person during a consult if density is low, average or above average as most any good clinic can.

3. Do you feel that if someone has a smaller than average head (in the balding area) that this can make a significant difference in results and hence one of the contributing factors in patients having equal grafts moved, equal NW scale yet unequal cosmetic outcomes?

Well, not really, because as Nervous Nelly suggested, and rightfully so, a small head is just that, a small head, so it stands to reason that if one's head is smaller then there is a proportionate difference for the donor area as well. I think that for Shuffle though his head was a bit narrow and not just small all around. This is not uncommon and I think it makes for being a better characteristic. If you have a narrow head then the length (forehead to crown) will be proportionally a bit longer thus have a longer donor area compared to someone with more of a round head. Make sense? We have a patient coming in next Monday that has this as well as good density and laxity (and narrow NW6 pattern) and I'm predicting he'll get in the high 5K range, maybe 6K if he has been diligent with his exercises.

Regarding your Armani questions, I'll say this. I think they include with every hair transplant a circa 1998 640x480 digital camera and the following directions:

1.) Pull camera out of case.

2.) Smear vaseline jelly on the lens.

3.) Turn down the lights.

4.) Close the blinds.

5.) Move side to side, "bob and weave".

6.) "click"

7.) Downsize to thumbnail.

8.) Upload to forum.

9.) Read questions about image size and clarity.

10.)Ask why you are being attacked for "sharing".

icon_wink.gif

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

regarding the "Armani" answer: LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks Joe, you certainly are earning every penny H&W pays you. This is a big help. I guess it is rather difficult then to compare yourself to other patients who have "similar" characteristics and expect a "similar" outcome...this makes the decision rather difficult. But I will say this, speaking for myself only: if it comes down to having either a totally bald head or a transplant with limited styling options, Im almost certain I prefer the latter. It just becomes difficult when your a diffused thinner and at this point still are worried about the slight possibility of looking worse due to shock loss. Should I wait? Not sure. That "v" shape recession is getting more and more narrow and will eventually become more of an "I" shape...

I would REALLY like to see some more guys post different hair styles (the post-plant guys) to see what options are available in different circumstances. Like Bushys' post. I think there is a good chance that a lot of those "anchor man" hair guys, could have a style that I would prefer (if I had their results) with the proper cut and product applied. I also think I (and probably a lot of other guys in my situation) assume those guys have no other styling options and are done out of a lack of density or some other defect. This is a poor assumption, because every ones' style is different. But for some of the younger guys, I think this is probably a common assumption, as it appears this would be a hair style which would lend itself to making the hair appear more dense as the hairs stack on top of one another.

I hope some more guys post pics of what options they can do as Bill said he will...

until then? more Alba...

Jessica_Alba-1.jpg.79c60b2af63ba0b5f4683a14ce6aec50.jpg

NGTGB,

I think you got it now. No, you cannot count on finding someone that appears to have the same pre-op characteristics as you and expect to have the same result. I know it's a bummer but I feel this has to be stressed. What I try to hammer home to people is that you need to find a clinic that has a wide variety of patients and then contemplate on the ensuing wide variety of results. Each case should stand on it's own and the starting point should always be considered when evaluating the results. Where did the patient start? Was he a repair patient? Did he have one or multiple donor scars starting out? Were they wide or thin. Was he a virgin scalp? Was he told he had good or not so good laxity. Look at the color of his hair. Is he a pasty while due with black coarse hair or is he have a mellow Rico Suave skin tone and dark brown hair or blonde hair? Salt & Pepper hair is another one to consider. Each patient has any number of characteristics that always make for a different outcome. Another think to consider is how many sessions it took for "that" patient to get where he is. Look at me, three sessions and I have guys all the time say they want to have my result. Sorry, not going to happen. Then look at Pushing40 in his latest nine month result. My GOD! One session. Done! The thing he and I do have in common though is that we chose a great clinic. That is the one common denominator that gives a patient the best chance for success. Just find that clinic.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

the real bummer is that after all of this Alba oggling the pics of my girl friend don't look half as good...

No, seriously I hear what your saying. I think bottom line all I really care about is an improvement over my current situation. One reason I posted the anchor man comb over dos' was because given my current situation, I would NOT be happy with having a lower hair line ONLY to be forced to do a comb over with no other styling options...that is my big question. I know you guys can lower my hair line and probably increase density over all. But will I be stuck with having to comb it over? Cuz I can't go too short if I have a scar that is visible with a #3 or #4 guard in the back and sides. You seemed rather certain that I would not experience any permanent shock loss given that my hair appears to be terminal and not vellous. If I knew this for a matter of fact, then I would be on a plane tonight. Maybe I should just fly up for a consult and do this in person and settle this once and for all...

*BUT*.........I WILL SAY THIS: any of you post-plant guys got pics your willing to share of different styling options I know many guys on here would really appreciate it. Especially the guys with a more conservative (i.e. anchor man) hair do. Would you mind throwing some putty/wax in that mop, snapping a shot, and giving us pre-plant virgin scalps an idea of some styling options?

Now then, more Alba oggling...

jessica-alba-on-beach-5.jpg.37c7d551a60ba7982a70f745715263d6.jpg

For some reason I just can't stay away from this post, even though all I do is look at Ntg2gbld's attachments. icon_biggrin.gif

Seriously though, I think Joe brought up some great points about individual characteristics and expectations, but why does everyone seem to style there hair the same way?

I hope I did not mislead any one into thinking that "everyone styles their hair the same way"...in light of my initial post on this thread. There are A LOT of other guys with A LOT of different styles who have had a ht...problem is: where do "I" fit in?

I believe it is true: many guys who have had hts' do have that hair style AND I admit, it bothers me. And still does even after Jotronics very good explanations of what one could expect. I want to be clear here, I think he was totally straight up, honest, and sincere. What more can a clinic say? I would like them to say.."ng2gb, you will look EXACTLY like this patient". But, they can not simply because they really don't know...

On the same token, I wish I could get a response from every single one of those guys in the anchor man pics and see pics of their hair in other styles. But, I can't reasonably expect that. But, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask other guys who have had ht, to post pics of their hair in varying styles. Just like that one guy did a while back on this post, Bushy did, and Bill says he will. I hope others do too.

But as far as clinics go: I guess we can never expect them to tell us how we will look exactly, even they don't know. Which is the hardest part of all of this...

I think one reason why this thread has gained so much attention is because this is what we care about, how will we look after the ht? With all of my research of docs sites, I have to admit that every single time I see a guy with the sweep over look, its almost as though I don't count it as a result because for me this is not on option. That look just isn't "me" and if it were my only option, then I wouldn't be happy with it....

I just hope I can see some more guys send in pics with varying style options...

I think I will take the flight up to see H&W and have a sit down. Face to face, as all serious biz should be done. Have to say they are the most stand up clinic with the best results as well. Kudos to all at H&W, especially Jotronic...

til then, there's always Alba... notice the lips anyone?

jessica_alba.jpg.6b9edc6f39dfe680d10a294184c17938.jpg