Nanogen or Toppik

Anybody using these and would like to recommend one over the other. I am using Dermatch currently. Even though it works on my balding crown, i feel there is no difference between Dermatch and shoe polish. Nanogon or Toppik atleast have keratin fibres that bind the hair...

Nanogen >>>>>>>>>>>> Toppik, imo.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

I've used both products; I used toppik initially, and used for many months religiously (in tandem with dermmatch much of the time). However, I read some comparisons between toppik and nanogen that said nanogen was slightly favorable; that was enough to convince me to try it out. Having said that, my results with nanogen are simply superior; it seems to cling to my hairs much better, and produces a thicker look while also not appearing "sawdusty".

Dermmatch + Nanogen = mindblowing results for me. Individually, also, the nanogen works better than the toppik.

-----------

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

With a toppek-like concealer, be it not enough native hair or improper application, the result can look..."sawdusty". That is, it isn't clinging and latching onto your hairs well enough, and/or the color isn't matching up well. I think toppek is a good product, but I have yet to experience this effect with nanogen.

I've recently been even forgoing dermmatch and just using the nano as it is working so well; and even as a stand alone product, it is working extremely well. It takes like <1minute to apply, maybe another 1minute to fine-tune the hairline, which is BY FAR the hardest area for a concealer to do its job. Dermmatch application takes a bit longer, and is more...labor intensive....works great though, no doubt.

-----------

• 2 months later...

I have yet to use Toppik but I ordered some nanogen before the weekend and I am genuinely delighted with them. They're **cking amazing.

I prefer nanogen to dermmatch which was my previous choice of concealer but I quite like the idea of using them both. Does it really work?

also thanatopsis what is "Nanogen Hair Expander?"

Good discussion. I've tried Dermatch and Toppik and definitely find Toppik much easier to apply as I strictly use it for the hairline area. I also got the 'pump sprayer' for Toppik and, well, let's just say quality control isn't very evident in their sprayers. The first 2 were okay, but eventually just clogged up and were hit & miss. Then, I took a chance and ordered one more and it is now great. About 3-4 sprays, then spray the hairspray that they sell and I'm all set to face my day.

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog

Originally posted by Relaxo:

you guys know of any website where you can order nanogen cheaply? I'm gonna try and add it to my dermmmatch

Well I live in the UK so I got my nanogen from the manufacturer website.

I have always thought that it's impossible to get in the US which, I assume, is why so many people use toppik instead.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Originally posted by Imissme:

I haven't used it, but it seems to me that Nanogen would be pretty fussy.

Would this stuff just come out if someone played with your hair a little? Sweat? Stuff like that?

that has been my fear. i will say that i came to this forum tonight specifically to sing nanogen's praises though.

previously, i've tried sprinkling nanogen on sparsely and i haven't been sold on nanogen. i think it works best with shorter hair styles rather than longer, at least it seems as it has with me.

i also found that being sparse with it just doesn't work. you have to be pretty liberal with it. i did that tonight and man...i was really amazed. it was by far the best my hair has ever looked with nanogen, and again, it was simply because this time i didn't try to cut corners with the amount i was using.

however, "imissme", that is the problem with nanogen. i simply can't trust it. it comes off VERY easily when you scratch your head. sweat not so much, at least for me, but it comes off very easily even when you are scratching your head really lightly. for that reason, dermmatch might be another option for me. it seems like a pain to put on though, and even with this, i'm assuming, if you scratch your head, it would come off on your fingers?

but, for an interview or in any setting where someone wouldn't be touching your hair, nanogen works really, really well.

• 2 months later...

I use a dermmatch/toppik mix. Personally, I tried nanogen, but I did not like it and I don't like the fact that you can't open their bottles to find out how much is left.

Also, with toppik, I put down some newspaper on my sink and it catches the left over, which is easily poured (via newspaper crease) back into my toppik canister. This saves me a bunch of toppik during each use and keeps my bathroom very clean.

As for sweating, etc. I do use hairspray to hold it in place, but I still don't let people touch my head. It's instinct now to block someone from touching my hair even if I touch it and nothing comes out.

• 4 weeks later...