Latinlotus HT with dr. Cooley 2097 grafts

latinlotus

GQ:

Dr. Cooley recommends Propecia, but never advised that i need to use minox after HT. Thinking about this, I consulted with about 10 HT doctors and none of them recommended minox (they don't discourage it either). I also never seen a case where minox had SOLELY some effect on hair growth. Granted i seen a few cases of hair growth as the result of usage of propecia AND minox.

BTW, i did use minox a few years ago, but it did nothing to me.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

latinlotus,

Try not to be too discouraged by your donor scar shock loss at this point. It's very early and often times things look worse before they look better.

I trust that in a few months, you'll be be very pleased. Sorry it just won't be in time for the holidays.

Best wishes and happy hair regrowth,

Bill

• 4 weeks later...

2 month update: (for more details please check my web log)

At this point, I feel exactly like before HT. The little tightness I felt, was gone weeks ago. The scar is fading and did not stretch, so it is no longer a concern

There might be some signs of regrowth but hard to say as I also had some velus native hair at the temples before the HT. I did have a pimple last week, definitely caused by a regrowth of a transplanted hair. I noticed also a couple transplanted hairs that did not shed, but are growing.

As for the shock loss at the donor, it seems that it stabilized since week 4. As shown from the comparison photo between week 5, week 6 and week 8, it seems that the shock loss did not widen. Hard to see on the photo, but my wife notices a couple of hairs that are now growing in the shock loss region. I take this as a good sign.

Now the (long) waiting game begins.

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Thanks for the update LL!

Looking as you did prior to the HT, which I am sure feels good. The doldrums: As you know, this is the time where you start to wonder if you will ever see any growth. But as you know, a little bit of patience and another month or so and you will begin to see some of the fruits of Dr. Cooley's labor and your patience!!

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

• 1 month later...

Month 3 update: (for more details please check my web log)

Now the doldrum...It is really not easy to wait for the hair to grow. There is always this doubt in my head that the grafts may not grow. But so far, i have seen some small, fine growths, although difficult to see or compare in the photos. A couple of pimples here and there at the recipient as well as at the donor indicate the hair is getting back into life!

As for the scar, shock loss is no longer a concern to me. It is also faded quite a bit since last month. No sign of scar stretch either. I guess the scalp exercise for 1 month before HT was helpful. I have no doubt that it will be very difficult to detect the scar a few months from now.

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

LL- I think that at three months all of our mindsets are the same. Where is the growth already?! We have waited this long and don't see anything, what is going on? The doubt creeps in and we start wondering why we ever jumped into this whole journey to begin with. We must have been out of our minds!!

But once we remind ourselves the stage we are in, THE DOLDRUMS...ok, it doesn't make it much easier does it? Once we begin seeing true signs of growth and exiting this stage, it gets so much easier--but I know that you know this.

Hang on LL. You will be exiting this stage shortly.

My initial HT thread:

Latin,

Thanks for keeping us updating on your progress.

I remember after my first surgery, I had expectations of significant growth at 3 months. Of course, this led me highly disappointed. I know you weren't expecting significant growth by this time however, it's easy to look in the miror and become frustrated that growth isn't coming fast enough.

Try to remain patienht and remember that transplanted hair growth is a slow, gradual process.

I'm glad to hear that your scar is healing optimally for only 3 months.

I'm sure in a few months from now, you'll be celebrating your new youthful looking hair :-)

Best wishes,

Bill

I just noticed some people respond with you deserve great results. I know this is meant w/ the best of intentions, just funny if you think about it. As opposed to you haven't been through enough yet to to deserve these results. Go to Bosley first, then get a repair job, then get a repair job to repair the repair job, now you deserve it! icon_wink.gif

P.S. Latinlotus, didn't mean to steer off-subject, you had a great surgeon, your results will be top-notch!

Originally posted by Leeson:

I just noticed some people respond with you deserve great results. I know this is meant w/ the best of intentions, just funny if you think about it. As opposed to you haven't been through enough yet to to deserve these results. Go to Bosley first, then get a repair job, then get a repair job to repair the repair job, now you deserve it! icon_wink.gif

Thanks Leeson for the best wishes. Just a clarification here, most of us on this site are here to help and we all wish all HT patients to receive the best surgery and results. As such, we all deserve to get great results because the procedure is so damn expensive.

However, on one hand, we get guys like Eman, Thana, Bill and so many other veterans, who did a thorough research before even attempting HT, who went to the best doctors, who followed post-op instructions to the letter, who share with us the details of their procedures, and most of all, spend a great deal of time helping newbies (like me) on this forum.

On the other hand, we have guys who are too lazy doing any research, who relied on ad on TV/shill/or even their own incompetent doctor, and went to those hair mills; who barely saw or did not even remember the name of their HT doctor, who do not plan their HT properly; who went for FUE even though being specifically warned about its many HUGE limitations; who went to the closest or the cheapest doctors because they don't set their priorities straight...

Let me ask you: who deserve to get a better results?

Leeson, i see that you went through quite a bit of hacks in the past, and i sincerely wish you will get the best results from dr. Hasson. Please share with us your results.

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Bill and Eman:

Even though i did the research, even though i know patience is key and even though i know that growth is not likely at the 3 month mark, it is still not easy to deal with the wait. Fortunately, I am able to share this and be reassured by you guys as well as many other here. Thanks.

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

LL- I definitely consider you a vet too!

I agree with you, even after much research (on both of our parts), it is much easier to say to have patience than to actually experience what you are currently going through. I have always been upbeat about this journey, but there were moments where I asked myself "Did I really do this?", "Is the hair really going to grow or am I going to be the anomoly?" or the many other nagging questions that come along with the doldrums.

You are as much read and researched as the rest of us, so you know the stages well. And all I can really say is you will begin to notice the changes soon...

My initial HT thread:

LL, you look like you are on a great course to get the right result. The waiting game is difficult, no doubt; but, IMO, the "impatience" or "anxiousness" we feel is often directly corresponding to how sweet of a result we know we will most likely get b/c of the research and thought that we put into it!

Personally, my life went through major changes right around the HT, so it never really bugged me waiting it out -- I was bombarded by other (good) stuff that I began doing. Anyways, I recommend to *anyone* getting a HT to figure something cool and engaging to take up following the procedure -- hobby, pursuit, w/e. It's good to branch out and try new things or make self-improvements, generally speaking, but it can def help ease the pain of waiting!

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Bill and Eman:

Even though i did the research, even though i know patience is key and even though i know that growth is not likely at the 3 month mark, it is still not easy to deal with the wait. Fortunately, I am able to share this and be reassured by you guys as well as many other here. Thanks.

My friend, I know what you mean. Head knowledge is one thing, but experiencing it is another.

I'll be going under the knife again in less than a month. I'm really not looking forward to the waiting process myself. But you'll get through it as will I.

Best wishes,

Bill

I couldn't agree more, that is why I never really care to take pictures, it's like watching paint dry. I like to take the long view that it will be there when it is good and ready!

Originally posted by thanatopsis_awry:

LL, you look like you are on a great course to get the right result. The waiting game is difficult, no doubt; but, IMO, the "impatience" or "anxiousness" we feel is often directly corresponding to how sweet of a result we know we will most likely get b/c of the research and thought that we put into it!

Personally, my life went through major changes right around the HT, so it never really bugged me waiting it out -- I was bombarded by other (good) stuff that I began doing. Anyways, I recommend to *anyone* getting a HT to figure something cool and engaging to take up following the procedure -- hobby, pursuit, w/e. It's good to branch out and try new things or make self-improvements, generally speaking, but it can def help ease the pain of waiting!

Dec. 2004 - 1938 Grafts via Strip

Feb. 2009 - 1002 Grafts via FUE

Thana and Mrkneed: thanks.

HairHope:

Taking pictures serve two purposes: to see whether i get my money worth out of the HT, and to help others who may find my weblog helpful. However, i do agree with you that the waiting is like watching paint dry (actually i think paint dries faster than hair growth!)

I think i will just follow a member's advice and smash all the mirrors icon_smile.gif

Bill: Good luck with upcoming HT. Hopefully it is the final one for you!

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Hi Latin Lotus!

Yeah, to be honest - first time thru I obsessed pretty bad day-by-day. I thought the timeline was going to be short for seeing results (3-4 months). Personally what I found was my hair was so very different after year 2 from year 1. Lots of thickening and cycling of hair that was shocked out from the HT. Thus, I just don't have the energy to watch it this time for that long - it is too draining for me.

I guess I am living on Hope! icon_smile.gif Best of luck.

Originally posted by latinlotus:

Thana and Mrkneed: thanks.

HairHope:

Taking pictures serve two purposes: to see whether i get my money worth out of the HT, and to help others who may find my weblog helpful. However, i do agree with you that the waiting is like watching paint dry (actually i think paint dries faster than hair growth!)

I think i will just follow a member's advice and smash all the mirrors icon_smile.gif

Bill: Good luck with upcoming HT. Hopefully it is the final one for you!

Dec. 2004 - 1938 Grafts via Strip

Feb. 2009 - 1002 Grafts via FUE

Lat,

You're going to get a great result - you've got great characteristics for it. On the plus side, at least you didn't have to shave down your head and you barely have any redness which I'm sure you can cover with your existing hair.

If it makes you feel better, check out how red I am still. The toughest part is wearing a hat everywhere. Thanks for keeping us updated. I'll do the same.

Abe

Had 3k With Umar on Feb 16, 2009

My Hair Loss Website

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys:

My month 4 result pics were uploaded in my web log. Please check it out. I also uploaded a video of the hairline as well as the scar:

Video of my month 4 hairline:

Video of my month 4 scar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glaBIoE-GS4

More growth since month 3. The right temple grew quite well and i can see the hairline slowly being defined. I think there are about 2 to 3 times more growths when compared to the left temple. Don't know why, maybe some vascular issues. However, i am optimistic as there are a lots of fine hairs starting to grow in the left temples.

Although a bit premature, i added two pics with comparison with pre-hair transplant condition. The cosmetic difference is not yet significant, hopefully it will in the next few months.

Finally, the scar fades some more. Even my wife is having difficulty finding the scar in order to take these pictures. The area of shock loss on the right side of the scar is also decreasing in size.

I notice that taking pictures with no flash shows a much more accurate description, although i need to take a few since the photos usually turn out to be blurry.

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

First, your documentation is first-rate -- so kudos to that! I agree w/ you that this past month is very encouraging; things are def starting to brew, and you can see things taking form. Going to look super sharp in but a short while!

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

thana: thanks for kudos, i am just show what people would want to see in the result. Hopefully, it can help them to make a decision. I certainly sometimes wish that more pictures from patients are available. Even better, a video.

hairhope: thanks, i certainly hope so.

Eman: you are right. The corner is not turn yet for me, contrary to you my friend. Actually, i don't think you can see the corner in your rear view anymore icon_smile.gif

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs