From a Technicians Point of View-- Hairtech

hairtech_

I have been very fortunate to have surgical experience in: Follicular Unit Extraction(FUE), Follicular Isolation Technique(FIT), Body Hair Transplant (BHT), and repair case, i.e. plug redistribution as a technician. My experience spans to these highly respected physicians, Dr. Mwamba, Dr. Rose, Dr. Devroye, Dr. Cooley, Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Reyes, Dr. Baumann, Dr. Epstein, Dr. Cole, Dr. Harris,to name a few. Even more importantly, and somewhat controversial for my own personal reasons, I chose to get experience with large corporate entities such as Bosley, Medical Hair Restoration (MHR), PAI Medical Group, and Nuhart Hair transplant. These experiences put hair restoration in total prospective.

I was surprised a few times as well as having to adjust my personal biases primarily from the many great results from many of the physicians. I can answer simple questions such as, "Do they use microscpoes? Y/N. DO they use specific storage holders? HEPES, BSS, SALINE, DMEM, etc. What types of closures? tricophytic, ledge closure,, modified ledge closure, standard, inner layer/outer layer, What Post-OP solutions do they Use? SALINE, HAIRCYCLE, COPPER DIPEPTIDES, etc. I will not be biased on this thread to any physician or entity.

Thomas Ortiz

Thomas Ortiz, BS

Hair Technologist

James Harris, MD

Previous experience with Rose, MD Mwamba,MD, Devroye, MD, Bridges, MD, Cooley, MD, Bisanga, MD, (Bosley/MHR/PAI/Nuhart brief work to understand corporate hair restoration concepts), Cole, MD.

Experience in Procedure: FUT/FUE/Fi_T/Repair Cases/MUT.

I offer unbiased information. I am not compensated to post.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your willingness to answer questions in an unbiased manner-who do you work for now? What prompted you to become involved in the network? Have you yourself had any transplantation work done?

I also am a medical professional and would caution you to not become involved in anything but generic answers (especially in those pts having potential complications or bad outcomes) or your current employer will share your liability (if any) in your response to questions :-) General information may be helpful but beware getting too specific in pts requests.... icon_wink.gif

DOnna B,

Don't you worry too much about me. I am an independent contractor. Indepedent contractors in this industry by definition means physician schedule me to come work for them at their request. I fly all over the US. However, the independent contracting has been a recent thing. I spent more than 4 years with a private physician. And lastly, I post as "hairtech" on other popular forums. I have done this since 2003. Ask good old Jotronic.

How is it going Jotransectronic. Just kidding. I hear you are busy.

Thomas Ortiz

Thomas Ortiz, BS

Hair Technologist

James Harris, MD

Previous experience with Rose, MD Mwamba,MD, Devroye, MD, Bridges, MD, Cooley, MD, Bisanga, MD, (Bosley/MHR/PAI/Nuhart brief work to understand corporate hair restoration concepts), Cole, MD.

I worked for Bosley offices in Atlanta, Georgia and Boca Raton, Florida.

Thomas Ortiz

Thomas Ortiz, BS

Hair Technologist

James Harris, MD

Mr. Ortiz,

This is an interesting thread. So the "top techs" can contract themselves out to work under multiple providers, both independents and conglomerates? While I'm aware this is the norm in many industries today, doesn't it decrease the practices' accountability somewhat to "outsource" such a critical service?

Also I've often wondered in an era when it is nearly impossible to get any kind of position without somekind of formal education, training, licensure, or certification, what if any credentials are required of hairtransplant techs? I would imagine most experience is gained on the job, but is there any kind of certification process or training program? I know they don't necessarily have to be nurses but is it similiar to what is required for medical assistant or pharmacy tech? Although they operate under the supervision and license of the doctor, one could argue that the act of placing the grafts constitutes an invasive proceedure.

Phil

What are your reasons for posting? Are you being paid by the doctors that you work for if you send them a consumer from this site? Describe the quality of work that was being done while you worked at Bosley? Size of cases? Types of sites? # of staff/patient?

PCC

I looked up some Florida statutes and the language is fairly vague. In a hairtransplant procedure if the doctor orders the assistant to insert the follicles it appears to be fine. Where in Florida are you?

To answer a few of these great questions,

Jotronic is just jabbing at me. I will not give answers to questions that will pinpoint any physician in a way as of personalities and such.

As for physicians contracting out to just anyone? That is not possible. For me to work with any of the aforementioned doctors, I had to pass their own personal way of doing things. Everyone (all clinics) are different when it comes to placing delicate grafts into sites. And most all doctors tell me that they know if they know what I am doing about 2 minutes after I pick up a graft. Furthermore, the doctors clinics have their own resident staff that also will watch over me like a hawk. Then after passing their individual tests , I am one of them.

I always hear someone saying, "Shoildn't techs have a license? This work is for skilled professionals! And you are correct. However, our licese, if you will, comes from the doctors we work for. Believe me, when I say this, Their reputations are on the line. Do you think any one doctor would chance someone off the streets to train or someone who is seasoned by the top doctors? Do you know how long it takes to trin a technician? A dedication of sometimes years in the private sector. I have seen PA's, Rn's, LPN's, and MD's thrown out of a practice because they could not pick up the skill. I know techs that started in hair at 18, and now in their late thirties, that I would trust placing my own grafts because they are time seasoned.

Thomas Ortiz

Thomas Ortiz, BS

Hair Technologist

James Harris, MD

Erdlette,

First thing, I have never been paid to post. I just like to post. Look me up on other sites to what I mean. I want to post to give insite to hair nerds like me.

If I were able to have my clinic go worldwide and were able to have it run like well oiled machine, then I would say Bosley has found that niche.

Quality of work at Bosley varies. Case sizes are average in that they are small to large cases. Sites are individualized to the types of grafts they are getting from the feedback from techs. # staff/patient Bosley is able to hire as much staff as they need to run two to three cases per day at least what I know personally.

Most private doctors wish they had the resources Bosley has for their employees. One can develope a nice career life on any level and be promoted within. The thing i

Thomas Ortiz

Thomas Ortiz, BS

Hair Technologist

James Harris, MD

A summary of my conversation with hairtech regarding his consultations so far...

From Bill...

hairtech,

I do have to ask...what is an Independent Clinical Consultant? The word independent leads me to believe you do not work for a specific clinic...but then what do you offer in your consultations? Just wondering...

Bill

From hairtech_...

con?·sul?·ta?·tion (k?…??n's?‰?„?l-t?„??'sh?‰?„?n)-n.The act or process of consulting. A conference at which advice is given or views are exchanged.

From Bill...

hairtech,

I know what consultation means. Don't insult my intelligence. I suppose I could put "Independent Clinical Consultant" under my name too since surely I have spend a lot of time on this and other forums offering much advice over the years. But typically those who have titles get paid for what they do.

So I'll ask it this way:

Are you just giving yourself a fancy title or do you get paid for your consultation services? If you get paid for your services, what exactly are you charging for...advice? And if you are charging, why go to see you when you can get a multitude of free advice on the forums? Cheers my friend.

Bill

It looks like this thread has given more clarity as to what he does professionally.

I also look forward to hairtechs response to mine regarding FUE vs FIT. Conversation can be found here:

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums/a/albumcomm...571090513#6571090513

Bill

If I were able to have my clinic go worldwide and were able to have it run like well oiled machine, then I would say Bosley has found that niche.

Quality of work at Bosley varies. Case sizes are average in that they are small to large cases. Sites are individualized to the types of grafts they are getting from the feedback from techs. # staff/patient Bosley is able to hire as much staff as they need to run two to three cases per day at least what I know personally.

It is always interesting when someone shows up as a self-proclaimed hair expert.

While I have nothing against anyone and we certainly welcome opinions, extolling the virtues of Bosley, after working for some very good docs is pompous and ignorant.

Just about anyone can work for Bosley, and while there are some of us here that would make fine consultants and even some who would make fine technicians, I think the general consensus amongst those who do not whore themselves out to every check-waving clinic is that you usually have to spend a few years learning how to be part of a team before you really perfect anything.

Now, for someone who is so obviously intelligent to respond to a member like Bill with your really demeaning response, means little Tommy never learned to play well with others.

So, for the sake of that giant swollen head of yours, take it easy on us ignorant members, while your dispensing your knowledge with god-like authority.

It is up to you to play nice tommy....... and I suggest you do. Otherwise, you might not have as nice a time here as you normally would have.

Best Wishes,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

You obviously did not get my point here. My point is this. If I had to run a corporation in the best manner possible, then I would run it like Bosley. If "I" were to get a transplant, then that is a different question.

I am not claiming to be an "expert", but hey, I know quite a bit about the things I talk about, and I challege anyone otherwise because of the following:

I spent 4+ years in one clinic.

I have spent many months going to different clinics.

No one offers this type of unbiased information based on that person having opportunities to go to other clinics.

You guys/gals are paid or happy to have gotten a transplant from Dr. X. That makes you more biased than others. Hey that is great.

I am not paid by anyone and never asked for a penny.

So there you have it. Unbiased information for those like you to become angered at. You will never see me say go to Dr. X or Corporation X. Why? Because that is not unbiased.

Now here is a clue to my own biases... Who do I work for now? Sometimes you have to cross the tracks to see what is going on, on the other side, then you find out what is going on, make your own conclusions and then... life goes on. Don't speculate about my work ethics.

Thomas Ortiz

Thomas Ortiz, BS

Hair Technologist

James Harris, MD

I thought you guys called yourselves patient education directors now as used car dealers ar e now transptation consultants. Direction? Into the chair via the yellow brick road ? Or are you an experienced tech ? I'm confused.

Job / now career history.

Either your so great everyone wants you or you're so bad noone does.

That's probably why the independents you touted cut you.

And since when has quality of work provided or lack there of,with the CLINICS you've been through, resulted in dismissing anyone?

The guys here are just being diplomatic .I smell decay.

I think your marketing youself.

A hair on the head is worth two on the brush.

I don't work for commision.. I bust e'm for free. Thank me later.

No one has cut me... And proud of that. No one has dismissed me.

I cut myself from one clinic.

If these guys were being diplomatic then they would ask me information of my experiences.

None of these guys really know what I know.

And speculations is what is expected.

Nevertheless, I stand by my name. I enjoy my work, got good at my work, and now want to share my work... unbiasedly.

Thomas Ortiz

Thomas Ortiz, BS

Hair Technologist

James Harris, MD

Wait until tommorrow mi amigo.

You know what 5+ years makes you? Dangerous.

To foolish to know what you don't and to arrogant to know the difference.

Unfortunately you could care less.

I do.

I would also strongly suggest you put a disclaimer under your name (doctor). Although I'have copied your posts prior.I guess I could still shoot you under the wastebelt in your country though.So maybe ignorance is an excuse, not.

Anyone can go to Med. Asst. school and in few months play Dr. not.

The dispensing of medical advise is illegal in the U.S.A..

You are Biased. You are building a career (aka making money).

Also, why are heck are you holding a sailene drip,(In the ITHI site)? did your victims loose that much blood?

Was'nt there a stethescope on hand to hang around your neck.While you were playing doctor.

Wise up Ex -Spurt because I'm on your swarthy ass.

So far I've got some good stuff. You passed the test ( Ha). Your a good BuShiEr that's the only test I you think you've passed. Like I said. They are being dimplomats. I'm not.

I'm on you, especially after disrespecting these dudes.

A hair on the head is worth two on the brush.

I don't work for commision.. I bust e'm for free. Thank me later.

hairtech,

I think for the most part you do know what you are talking about. And some converstations (though limited) I've had with you have been edifying...however, nobody likes a self-proclaimed expert, especially one who is new to a community. Now I know you said you have been around other communities for awhile...and that's great...

But to come on here and state you are unbiased and everyone else is biased is a bit insulting. I can buy into the fact that you are semi-unbiased. Let's be honest...don't we all have our biases? BUT, even as I've been a patient of 3 doctors, I still don't hesitate to direct patients to other physicians that I know and have seen work from over and over in the various communities. I do this because I believe in their work even though I have no bias or favor toward them, other than that I believe they do quality work. I think you'll find many people here are like this...though yes, the people do exist that say "go to MY doctor because I had the best experience" and leave it at that. Is that advice wrong? Not necessarily...but it's not my style. I believe in a much more multi-faceted approach to advice, which involved directing them to do their own homework. I hope and trust you do this as well.

Anyway...I have nothing against you....though I do feel your approach occasionally is a bit "brisk"...maybe a bit demeaning. Perhaps you don't mean it. But on a positive note...we value people here with knowledge and experience...just remember that others will have different perspectives than you...and that doesn't mean you are more right than they are. Some things are black and white...others aren't. The way of life...

Bill

What ever makes you happy.

Apparently I'm not one of them.

Thomas Ortiz

Thomas Ortiz, BS

Hair Technologist

James Harris, MD

Billaros,

It is very hard to be unbiased. And I do have my own. But I don't point patients to doctors. I only answer questions on things I know. I did not know it was brisk though. I just try to be blount (sp) about things and like Aquarious above, they don't like it. But thanks for the encouragement.

Thomas Ortiz

Thomas Ortiz, BS

Hair Technologist

James Harris, MD

The previous comment was for aquarius

Thomas Ortiz

Thomas Ortiz, BS

Hair Technologist

James Harris, MD

hairtech,

Only a few things came out brisk and/or condescending from what I've seen of your posts...seems like you may have taken a few things personally here and there too, which wasn't intended. Anyway, again, no harm no foul...

Regarding being unbiased...I believe one can still be unbiased and direct patients to certain doctors. I don't ever direct a patient to a particular specific doctor, however, I do direct patients to a network of physicians that I've grown to become comfortable with over time who I believe have produced and yielded consistent quality results over time. This is why I firmly believe in what this specific community is all about...education and community. I believe in the benefits of having such a network as the coalition doctors to choose from who have passed many "tests" in order to qualify. I, however, personally don't always just recommend the coalition docs for the sake of recommending them all. I am more comfortable with some than others because I have SEEN their work. I also know that even doctors I consider to be qualified and yield great results, can be more "conservative" than others in terms of single session sizes, etc. So educating the perspective patient ahead of time is one of our missions here in our community. It seems you have the same goal...so I hope you'll fit right in.

My only challenge to you is (and I don't mean this offensively...only to help you fit in) drop any superiority complex you might have. Don't be insulted...just soak it in and evaluate if there is any truth here.

Your experience and knowledge can make you a valuable asset to this community or it can destroy you. It's all about how you choose to use it and present it that will make all the difference icon_wink.gif.

If it's any consolation...I like you. I think you have the right intentions...so I hope you'll stick around and use them for good.

Cheers bro.

Bill