non-baldness hair loss

My brother was burned in an accident when he was 2. He is now 16 and since then has had a bald patch where the hair simply won't grow. It must be because of scarring or something, but I want to know if hair transplants are also a possibility in a case like this where hormones or genetics or whatever are not the cause?

My brother was burned in an accident when he was 2. He is now 16 and since then has had a bald patch where the hair simply won't grow. It must be because of scarring or something, but I want to know if hair transplants are also a possibility in a case like this where hormones or genetics or whatever are not the cause?

Dear Gail:

I think that it is very likely that your brother is a candidate for any of a number of possible hair replacement methods. The method selected will probably depend on the actual size of the area.

If the area is small it may be efficient to simply excise the area leaving a small scar.Similarly it may be possible to place hair transplants in the area.The scar tissue should support growth of the grafts.Placing grafts in the area is often a very effective way of dealing with the problem while causing minimal trauma.

If the area is large the above mentioned procedures may still be possible. When the area is very large it may be necessary to perform a scalp reduction(excise bald scalp), employ a scalp extender( a device placed under the scalp that causes the bald area to diminish in size) and follow this with hair transplants. In some cases balloon expanders are utilized to provide the required tissue to cover the area.

Again I think that the problem can usually be solved quite easily.

I hope that this helps .

Paul T. Rose,MD

• 4 weeks later...