Bushy is having trouble...finding his scar. Can you help him?

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al5VRzUM0Bo"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al5VRzUM0Bo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object> </pre>

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Hi Jotronic,

While I agree with videos for showcasing results is probably as good of an inspection one can hope for without actually seeing the results in person. I dont think its the best medium to show a donor scar as we can quite clearly see it is impossible to detect the scar especially with that length of hair. You guys have an even better and higher quality movie on your website where you run a fine tooth comb through the donor area where you can actually see the scalp clearly but still cannot see the scar.

I know you are only posting this in good fun, but what would be more helpful would be an actual high quality picture of the scar, i.e. hair parted so we can see the scalp and the scar together to see how it has healed and blended in over time.

I think hairloss sufferers are still concerned with the donor scar. They would want to know how short they can buzz their hair without the scar being detectable, whether the scar will remain pink or blend back into their normal scalp colour and whether or not it will be remain raised over time, i.e. detectable by touch.

So high quality pictures that show the donor scar after a year would really help towards alleviating some of the nerves of potential HT patients. Also if you have any of your previous patients that buzz their hair that would be good too. There are still lingering questions about how low you can buzz down to while the scar remaining undetectable.

From my experience I had a haircut 2 months post op and the barber could notice the scar I had from an accident when I was a kid and asked me about it, but he didnt mention my donor scar at all. This is probably as close as someone will get to your donor scar. This is a pretty good testimant to how undetectable the donor scar can be with the tricho closure and an excellent surgeon.

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

Joe, you beat me to it!!!

Jake, the funny thing is that I actually had set out to take pictures of the scar but quite literally couldn't find it! So I then decided to scan the side of my head with a camera and video it. After my first HT with Dr. Hasson, I was readily able to detect the scar. Now I can't find it no matter how long I look for it.

That's why I decided to post the video. I called Jotronic to find out if I could "borrow" some server space to upload the video, and he suggested youtube (and then beat me to posting the clip).

Jake, where do you live? If you're in NY I'd love to meet up with you in person. First, you'll see the same thing I see. Second, maybe you can take some pics.

My blog.

HT1: 4063 grafts by Dr. Hasson, 12/9/03

HT2: 3537 grafts by Dr. Hasson, 5/15/06

Total grafts: 7,600

Hi Bushy,

It must be a really nice feeling setting out to document the scar and then not being able to find it :-). If you had a visible scar after the first HT and you cannot find either after your second you must be ecstatic as you actually managed to get less scarring with more HT's :-) - if only everyone could be that lucky!

I've been following your progress for a while and I think Dr Hasson has given you a fantastic result. Although I cant seem to find any HT #2 photos on your blog though as they seem to be missing. If it turns out as good as your first HT I think you can look forward to a full non MPB head of hair again!

On a side note can you let us know what your donor density is because with 7600 grafts I believe you are another person with an above average graft count. I cant imagine that you would have, but do you know if you have any donor left in the bank? I guess if you really need to do a touch up in the future you should be able to get at least 1000 grafts from FUE.

Unfortunately I live in the UK so I dont think I will be able to drop by anytime soon icon_smile.gif. Its a shame cause I would've really liked to have seen the results of some of Hasson or Wongs patients in person!

Guest Landen

The video is of poor quality. The hair is too long. And I can still see the scar. Tone down the hype!

Well I believe that the video is of poor quality but I cant see the scar even after looking closely at it for a number of times. How many cm's above the ear is it?

Originally posted by Landen:

The video is of poor quality. The hair is too long. And I can still see the scar. Tone down the hype!

And I smell, too, right? Sheesh . . .

My blog.

Originally posted by JakeVig:

Although I cant seem to find any HT #2 photos on your blog though as they seem to be missing.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I have no clue what happened to all the pics! Well, they're all back now. icon_smile.gif

On a side note can you let us know what your donor density is because with 7600 grafts I believe you are another person with an above average graft count. I cant imagine that you would have, but do you know if you have any donor left in the bank? I guess if you really need to do a touch up in the future you should be able to get at least 1000 grafts from FUE.

I may have as much laxity now as before the second surgery! No clue why, could just be my skin . . .

Unfortunately I live in the UK so I dont think I will be able to drop by anytime soon icon_smile.gif. Its a shame cause I would've really liked to have seen the results of some of Hasson or Wongs patients in person!
Well, I'm overdue a European visit . . . icon_smile.gif Seriously, though, there should be plenty of H&W patients there.

My blog.

Hi bushy,

I noticed that you took a big shockhit with your second HT. Did H&W say that your amount shockloss is common? and are you expecting for most of the shockloss hair to return?

Originally posted by JakeVig:

I noticed that you took a big shockhit with your second HT. Did H&W say that your amount shockloss is common? and are you expecting for most of the shockloss hair to return?

Jake, I was slammed big time with shockloss. About 80% of it is back already. Dr. Hasson reassured me that there was no chance at all of transsection, so whatever fell out will come back, and then some!

My blog.

I would actually love to see pictures/videos of donor scars at a one or two clip. Though maybe most people who get HTs don't wear their hair that short, it's the common question "Can I buzz my hair after getting an HT?" The overwhelming answer has been "no", but my answer has always been "it depends on how concerned you are to show your scar to the world". As of right now, I can easily get away with shaving my hair in the sides and back down to a 2 clip, but a few people have commented when I went down as low as a one clip. With the new Tricho scar, it's probably even better still, but of course, a scar is still a scar. I think showing breakthrough work with a guard 1 or 2 would be much more convincing than a man with long hair in the sides and back running a comb through it. It's easy to conceal a scar that way, especially since a comb shows the feathered effect of hair and no given straight line of the scalp at any given point. So Joe, any chances of you showing the wonders of the tricho scar with a buzz 1 or 2? Heck....I'll even do it after my surgery in October. Because here is my gameplan:

1. Grow the sides and back to about a 3 or 4 guard before the surgery.

2. When the staples are removed, I'm shaving my entire head so it matches to a 1 clip.

3. Let the hair grow out.

I will most likely, depending on the visibility of the scar, keep the sides and back as short as possible, so if all goes well, I'll keep the sides and back at a 2 clip after my initial shaving entirely.

Anyway....I hope this will help others. In the meantime...if anyone else shaves their sides and back this short with a tricho, would love to see it.

Bill

Bushy...you're webblog is a great testimony of what Dr. Hasson can do. Your first HT has turned out great. I know what it's like going from the first HT to the second HT....watching all that shockloss and feeling a bit depressed because it was like the first HT was money wasted. But it will all come back. I'm going to be in the same boat as you soon...though by that time, you'll be out of that boat. Going for my 3rd HT with Dr. Hasson for as many grafts as possible...so I'm sure I'll go through it yet again but with the knowledge that the onset of new and thicker hair is over the horizon.

Keep posting man....I look forward to seeing your progress.

Bill

John, at this stage I hope to never need another HT. But one never knows, and Dr. Hasson says I have at least another 2-3k left.

Bill, it is, indeed, so frustrating to see all the old hair so devastated, but it is slowly growing back. I say another month and I'll be quite happy. And good luck with your Hasson HT!

My blog.

Bushy,

I hear ya man. I'll be following along with your progress, so please keep us updated with pics month by month. I have faith that your hair will grow in very nicely after this HT. I wouldn't think you'll need another one by looking at the photos. I have my Hasson HT Mid Oct.

Bill