HAIR CLUB FOR MEN

Pavlo123:

I wore a "system" for 18 years..recently liberated this summer-8/06. I went to HCM for awhile until I found a cheaper alternative (an employee that left and started her own business) that produced the same results.

I like using the analogy of buying a new car vs. the hair piece. They look shiny, sparkly and new in the showroom. After you take it home, drive it through a few puddles, get mud on it, insure it and start making the payments"??? it doesn't look/feel the same way as in the showroom. The salesman looks great because he a hair studio at his disposal-everyday.

There were many days when the system looked great and virtually undetectable (sight wise-no one can run their fingers through your hair without the possibility of getting stuck). There were a lot of days when you could spot it from the space shuttle. The system does NOT act or look like real hair after a few weeks. After a few weeks, it will become matted and harder to maintain from hair products. I was unable to enjoy certain activities w/ my family over the years. IE: swimming, boating, etc...

Basically, there is a tremendous amount of upkeep and it is comparable $$$$ amount to a hair transplant. You will need two systems, the second for when hair needs to be added to the original (they shed). They will try and sell "their" hair care products (more $$$) and the monthly reattachments (services) will cost you approx 100.00/month.

With that said, I had one for 18 years. If I was not a candidate for a HT, I probably would still be in one today. Not knowing your level of baldness, I would recommend you strongly consider ALL options, HT vs. System. There is NOTHING like the freedom and confidence of having one's own hair. I will let you know in about 6 months (hopefully) about "your own hair" comment. icon_smile.gif

Sorry for rambling"???but this is my sweet spot.

My Hair Loss Weblog

Dr. True 9/22/06

4326 grafts

2129 1's

2168 2's

6545 Total Hairs

I totaly agree with glock 08. You willhave so many problems with a piece. If you think its detectable just once, imagine going out every day and when people look your way, your always thinking that they can spot it. Not a comfortable way to live.

• 9 months later...

I think there is a lot of wisdom in Glocks' words.

I too wore a HCM hair piece for 14 years. There was not a single day in those years that I knew I looked perfectly natural for the hours I was awake!! ( not to mention the bedroom activities for a single guy...it would usually get interesting if the girl made an attempt to run her fingers through my hair). That is quite stressful. Having said that, I was VERY anal in keeping my system clean, properly styled and maintained. This required many more visits to my HCM office than most people are willing to pay. ( Remember more visits and more system replacements equals 'mo money!) Most of the time ( maybe even 90% of the time) I think you would not know I had a rug on my head, but that remaining 10% of time I knew I looked like crap and I was powerless to correct the hair for that day.

I would strongly recommend that if you are a candidate for a HT, please do your research in that area not Hair Club or any other "system". Had I saved my money for the past 14 years I would be about $50,000 richer. Honest.

If you go the route of a system, don't believe the hype of only having to visit the clinic every 4-6 weeks, you will look horrible if you don't go every 3 weeks ( my normal time for a haircut is about 2 1/2 weeks) . Also, if you are not replacing your system every 2 months or so, it will lose its bounce, shine and you can easily develop balding spots.

Sorry to rain on your post but this is my experience regrettably. Good luck. S-n-P

HT#1 4944FU 23May06-Hasson

HT#2 1960FU 16Jan07- Hasson

6904 Total FU, 13160 Hairs

2184-1's, 3184-2's, 1536-3's

Pavlo,

Glock gave you an excellent answer.

Just keep in mind that Hair Club for men IS a wig, hairpiece, rug...whatever term you want to call it...it's using a wig to make it look like you have real hair. Depending on where you go, you can get less expensive wigs, however, no matter what, maintenance and replacment will be necessary....not to mention going out in public and worrying about the wind, going swimming, etc.

Whereas a hair transplant isn't the answer for everyone...weigh all options before you take the plunge into anything.

Bill

Hey, guys I agree with all of you. I started loosing my hair when i was about 24 years old. That is when i decided to take some measures toward treating my hair loss problem. I did some research but me being as young as I was that didn't amount to much. I decided to get hair transplants. I went in for 3 sessions totalling about 280 rather large clusters of hair at my temples. After all was said and done I was having a great amount of difficulty making those areas of my forhead look natural so once again I made another relatively fast decision. I went out and got a hair piece figuring i could just cover things up until I decided what to do. Well 13 years later I am still wearing a hairpiece. I couldn't take it off because I had these large bumpy clusters of hair protruding from my scalp which really made me look weird. I finally decided to do something about it and correct the hair transplant mistake I had made some 13 years ago. I am going through my fourth and final procedure in a few weeks to clean up the mess that the doctor had made of my head all those years ago. Once im done with that I will look to have a mega session of hair transplants and finally rid myself of the hair piece. For me the hairpiece kind of helped me out considering my situation but I can honestly say I absolutely hated wearing it and still do. It is very difficult to maintain well and very expensive as well. My advice to you is get hair transpants or if you have a decent shaped head just cut it really short or shave your head after all it's actually fashionable. Don't get sucked into the hairpiece thing. You will be miserable. I can almost guarantee it.

I would like to add that I went to hair Club 3 years ago because I thought they were my best option.

I went in for a consultation for my recieding hairline and the sales person there a "hairloss expert" according to the company recommended there "EXT Program."

The program consisted of a 5 -6 step process consisting of different shampoo's,cleanser's,boosting agents and vitamins to enhance hair growth. They also offered me a free microscope hair scalp analyisis.

I was told by the "hair expert", that this program works. She also mentioned the microscope analysis for my recieding hairline will grow back if I use the system. She said, "under the microscope my hair follicles are still alive and they just need this system and they will grow full and thick."

I was excited thinking all I have to do is buy this expensive 6 month treatment and I will be on my way to my old self again.

What a expensive mistake.... After spending 1900 U.s and at that time the exchange rate was not what it is today, I was out big time. The system did not do anything positve for my hair and I was still recieding.

I asked the, "Hair Club Expert" how come it seems like it is not working and she replied, "it takes time."

We'll the 6 month shipment of the system came and I used it religiously with no results execpt lost money in my bank account.

The guarantee they offered me was if the shampoo system doesn't work than I can use that money towards any other service they provide.

After the nightmare of the shampoo and the commute back and forth to Michigan I was pretty much fusterated with Hair Club.

I could go on and on about this terrible experience but I think you get the point......

HAIR CLUB SUCKS!

Good info MP

The fact of the matter can be summed up in one sentence.. Unless you get a HT, there are only 2 items that regrow hair Minoxidil & propecia ( and the Nizoral helps marginally)

That's a wrap!

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

• 1 year later...

I did HCM in college at 22 yrs old. It literally changed my world as I was in grad school and went from looking 35 to looking 19. In fact my girlfriend the year before was 38, the year I did it, besides numerous 18-21 year olds, my girlfriend for the next 2 years was 19.

The systems back then were relatively pathetic as well - looked great but almost too full and touch wise were easy to detect. Nevertheless it really boosted my self esteem at the time and many years after. I looked like I was a college student, not a professor.

My frat brothers some ribbed me, but unless someone sabotaged me with disclosing my 'scret' I did really well with the girls.

In 17 years I have had one really bad experience in bed with a girl at around 25 yrs of age (she was 19). That's about it. It was embarassing but again, back then it was also REALLy obvious to the touch as they wove it in.

I think the key is that you have to be with their top systems of the last decade and that is VERY expensive. Also as I am much older it probably is more obvious at times, specifically as I am married now and don't nearly upkeep my hair like I use too.

I am somewhat disappointed with the $$$ I pay now vs what I get now. I have considered dropping it all but I have such a young face still now that it would really be a shocker to all that know me, even ones that suspect I have a piece probably still think its at least a good piece. I feel I'm still judged very attractive but at a Price I probably can no longer justify. I basically wear a leased Mercedes on my head....

I wore one for about 13 days. Awful feeling, to me. I was so happy when they took it off and shaved my head.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Thirteen days isn't nearly long enough to get used to wearing a hair system. It's a gradual process that starts out feeling like you always have a hat on, but after a few months, you will not even be aware of it 95% of the time.

And you can pay Hair Club ridiculous prices for their hair systems and their maintenance if you want, but you can save yourself a couple of thousand dollars (not exaggerating) a year by ordering your hair systems on line and learning to attach, remove and clean them yourself. It's really not that hard to do.

Originally posted by Beemark:

Thirteen days isn't nearly long enough to get used to wearing a hair system. It's a gradual process that starts out feeling like you always have a hat on, but after a few months, you will not even be aware of it 95% of the time.

And you can pay Hair Club ridiculous prices for their hair systems and their maintenance if you want, but you can save yourself a couple of thousand dollars (not exaggerating) a year by ordering your hair systems on line and learning to attach, remove and clean them yourself. It's really not that hard to do.

I tell you what though, you could hear me brushing that damn thing a hundred feet away. It sounded like taking a broom and sweeping carpet.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

I would never wear one and as an expert on hairloss I think it is just an expensive "band aid". they never look real and just hide your problem . Personally I always sought a long term solution. After 3 HT's I don't have to worry about hairloss anymore. No more payment, hiding, or sad feelings.. Of course i was not a N7 either so I had options but I think masking the problem in a VERY costly manner is just prolinging the problem

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

• 5 months later...

A lot of people are perfectly okay with HCM. The quality of their pieces has improved in the last couple of years. And if they like the results and don't mind paying the high price, that's all that matters.

On the other hand, if the money is a factor and you want more control over the design, quality, cut, attachment, etc., there are better options on line.

• 7 months later...

Belle Hair Extensions!

Whether this is your first time having hair extensions, or you've had them before, we offer a free no obligation consultation. We will explain everything that is involved in the extension process as well as examine your hair color, texture and length and then match your hair for perfectly blended, natural looking professional extensions.

• 6 months later...

I was a hair club member for two nearly three years in Toronto Canada. My first Hair system cost me $1800.00 and then they told me about their Hair Program where I could get 5 my hair systems (glued on wigs) a year for a small price of $340 a month. This does not include all your many products required to maintain this dead raccoon on top of your head. The system does look good when it is first put on but in a week or so your natural hair starts to grow underneath and the hair piece starts to lift. The glue and double sided tapes they use to stick the hair piece down caused bad acne under the hair piece. My hair system was itchy and the hair always puffed up and become knotted and extremely hard to maintain. I went in many times to HCM to have my hair treated or restored but within a day or two it was back to its hard to manage condition. HCM only suggestion was to buy the upgrade hair piece that had softer hair for an addition expense each month. Another $100 a month.. I choose not to do this. I stuck with the hair system for about 30 months. I looked into hair transplants through HMC and was quoted outrageous prices. I wasn't getting the service I wanted so I decided to shave my head and stop paying ridiculous amounts of money for a product I was not happy with. HMC continued to bill my credit card for 6 months after I left the program saying I could not back out of my contract. What contract! I was never told I was in a contract. I guess I didn't read the fine print on one of my consent forms. The only time you can back out of your plan is at your yearly renewal date. For the record I was never told this until I noticed my credit card was still getting charged. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU DO NOT USE HCM. Their are many companies that want to help their clients instead of getting rich off of them.

The hair system is a quick fix but not a hair solution. The hair transplant is the only way to go to get "YOUR" own hair back.

I am in the process of finding a good doctor to preform the hair transplant surgery at a fair price.

Just to chip in on my personal experience with hair systems. I only used it for less than a month but still i thought i was better without it than with it. Some of the bad stuff included numerous trips to the hair dresser as well as the constant worry that others could spot it from Planet Mars. Do u guys feel that it really looks natural, especially after 1 week? From day 1, it feels like u r wearing a cap...just something on your scalp which consistently makes u remember that you have that little hair. After 1 week, even if u remove to wash all the time, it somehow does not feel that clean and did i mention all the glue etc? Maybe its just me, but i think it takes a lot for a guy to really commit to a hair system

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I currently am a FARRELL hair system client. They create a great system although their customer service and cost leave mush to be desired.

I recently moved to Boston from New york City. Farrell had a salon in New York so it was easy to get my system clean and a "cut-in". Now that I am in Boston, I have been traveling to NYC for regular maintenance.

Does anyone know of a good stylist in Boston that has experience with hair systems, preferably with Farrell systems??

Based on the disgustingly slick sales pitch videos I've seen of FARRELL, I wouldn't be surprised if the above first time poster naming FARRELL is the man himself.

Nice wigs in his videos, though.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon