verify the number of grafts transplanted

i had a hair transplant done last week (2400 grafts, follicullar .units) in one session and i want to know if there's a way to check that all the grafts that were charged were transplanted or just trust in what the surgeon and her assistants say they did?

Angello - Unless you are going to count them, you will probably have to trust your doctor on this one. If you are really curious and you have a lot of free time, I guess you could count the number in a small area, perhaps 1 square centimeter, and then multiply by the total area covered. This would at least give you an approximation. If you went to one of the doctors recommended on this site you probably don't need to worry about it.

• 4 weeks later...

You can't trust the overwhelming majority of hair transplant doctors to give you a resonable cosmetic result. That's why there are websites like this and "accepted lists" of certain doctors. The standard HT doc can is only concerned with counting dollars, not grafts.

Timetested

Timetested

You can't trust the overwhelming majority of hair transplant doctors to give you a resonable cosmetic result. That's why there are websites like this and "accepted lists" of certain doctors. The standard HT doc can is only concerned with counting dollars, not grafts.

Timetested

Timetested

If you do your homework and choose a doctor with an excellent reputation you don't have to worry about counting your grafts.

Hi Gary

I chose a doctor with an excellent reputation, like you suggested. His name is Carlos Puig. Here's some info about his credentials, from his website:

"President of the American Hair Loss Council, Treasurer of the American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery, and a fellow in good standing in no less than ten other organizations. He has been published in medical journals many times. Some of his older papers are considered groundbreaking cornerstones of modern hair restoration industry. Some are just fine-tuning techniques in his never ending quest for perfection. His study published in the early 1980's was considered cutting edge for the time period."

Sounds like an excellent reputation, doesn't it?

I promise you, I don't have to worry about counting MY grafts. That's because Dr. Puig gave me big pluggy grafts that are far apart, making them quite easy to count. The hair sticks straight up like doll's hair, so I am sure not to miss any when I count. In the morning, when I have to face myself in the mirror, it is comforting to remember that Dr. Puig has an excellent reputation, and is well respected by his peers. I suppose I am to blame, for "not doing enough homework", though...?

Hi Gary

One more thing. I don't want to seem like I am picking on your statement. But you said "If you do your homework and choose a doctor with an excellent reputation you don't have to worry..."

Ordinarily that statement would make sense, except that the hair transplantation field is completely unregulated. It's a free-for-all out here. In fact, there are more rules and regulations about selling used cars, than there are about hair transplantation. Think about that!

The whole concept of a "excellent reputation" is meaningless in this context. Hair transplant doctors have CREATED all of their own "organizations", in order to give themselves credentials and instant credibility. I'm talking about organizations like the ISHRS and the AHLC and the ASHRS. These are "instant reputation-makers" that anyone can join, no matter how lousy their transplants are.

I already gave the example of Carlos Puig as the President of the American Hair Loss Council. The Medical Director of the AHLC is Dr. Gary Hitzig. Have you heard of him? He is being sued by over 100 patients in a class-action lawsuit:

http://www.injuryassist.com/body_LIMA_litigation_IA.htm

He hired and trained a sanitation worker to be a medical technician, and Hitzig even had this guy perform his surgical procedures for him:

http://www.nydailynews.com/2000-06-18/News_and_Views/Scandal_Sheet/a-70345.asp

Hitzig says that follicular units give "inconsistent" results, and that large FU sessions can be dangerous and put the patient at risk:

http://www.nyhairloss.com/gsh-philosophy.htm

He invented slot grafting equipment and sells it to other doctors, even though slot grafts are crappy.

But let's look at Hitzig's credentials, to see what kind of reputation he has:

"Dr. Hitzig has personally performed well over 30,000 hair restoration procedures."

American Hair Loss Council:

-National Medical Director 1998-2001

-Ethics and Professional Standards -Committee- 1996-1997 -

Regional Ambassador Committee - 1996-1997

Board of Directors Elected 3 Year Term 1998 - 2001

*American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery

-Board certified

*American Society Of Hair Restoration Surgery

-Charter Member

* International Society Of Hair Restoration Surgery

-Full Active Membership

* American Society For Dermatologic Surgery -Full Active Membership

* N.Y.S. Society Of Cosmetic Surgery -Full Active Member

* Inter-American Society Of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeons -Full Active Membership

Sounds like an "excellent reputation" doesn't it? Except that these are all "straw" organizations, set up to provide an air of legitimacy for unscrupulous doctors.

How legitimate is an organization like the American Hair Loss Council, if Dr. Puig is President and Dr. Hitzig is Medical Director? If you just looked at their credentials, you'd say they both had "excellent reputations" though!

[This message was edited by arfy on November 07, 2001 at 12:58 AM.]

I don't even need to say anymore. It appears doing your homework here on the net is much more vital and truthful than reading the doctors "credentials". You are right, these surgeons are the sleazyist in the industry, so making themselves look good with "credentials" is part of the fraud and game. Very few HT doctors are going to get away with their butchery as long as people come to the internet first, and ask a lot of questions. The inferior doctors with inferior methods can't hide from some of the old veterens posting on these forums.

Arfy - When I say "do your homework" I don't mean looking at credentials on the doctors web site, checking their memberships in the various organizations, or reading articles written by them. All of those are pretty meaningless IMO. An excellent reputation with patients, and a proven track record of excellent results is all that matters to me. I would suggest talking to as many of their patients as possible, and personally seeing the results, if possible, is the only way to go. That's what I did before I selected one of the doctors listed on this site. Incidently, I don't think my doctor even belongs to any of the organizations.

Arfy -

One more thing. I'll clarify my previous statement. If you do your homework and choose a doctor with an excellent reputation with patients and a proven track record of excellent results, you don't have to worry about counting your grafts. If you didn't do your homework, you have a lot more to worry about than that.

I am sorry you got bad results the first time. So did I. Fortunately I found a great HT surgeon the second time. Yes, the industry as a whole is a free-for-all and it's definately "buyer beware", but there are some really good surgeons that are not hard to find.