What exactly is the HT growth timeline?

I know people say the 1-3 month is the ugly duckling stage. I also see some people say that 6 months is the 50% stage. What I'm confused by is does that mean only 50% of the new hairs have sprouted or have they all sprouted by 3 months and then they just mature and thicken by 6 months, 9 months, 12 months?

4374 grafts-7/2/2008-Dr Rahal

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

Going in reverse typically all the growth should have occurred between 12 to 18 months, after this the hair will start to mimick more the pre existing hairs and lose it's wiry, curly appearance. Between 9 and 12 months you start seeing what is pretty close to all you're gonna get. At 6 months things are looking up but there is still more growth coming, the first 3 to 4 months are the worst because not much is going on, after the 3rd month you start seeing the beginning stages of what's to come.

rowth should have occurred between 12 to 18 months, after this the hair will start to mimick more the pre existing hairs and lose it's wiry, curly appearance. Between 9 and 12 months you start seeing what is pretty close to all you're gonna get. At 6 months things are looking up but there is still more growth coming, the first 3 to 4 months are the worst because not much is going on, after the 3rd month you start seeing the beginning stages of what's to come.

Ive always known it was a 12-18 month process but I didnt know if all the new hair I have at 3.5 months is all I will have and if that it will just thicken and mature from here.

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

Hi Wantego. At 3.5 months, my understanding is that you still have a lot of growth to come. HK500 states pretty much what my doctor said.

I am now at 4 months and am starting to see new hairs sprouting. But from your pictures it looks like you are progressing more than I am. So I think the next few months are going to be very good for you. Good luck!

Thanks for the replies guys. I was shown a graph today that showed months 4 and 5 are very good growth months. That would be awesome. I'm already seeing some results that make me optimistic. icon_smile.gif

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

wantego,

The percentage of growth such as 50% at 6 months typically refers to both new hair growth and maturation. Many patients have approximately 80-90% of their hair starting to grow by 6 months, but much of it is only about 20-30% mature if that makes sense. The number 50-60% at 6 months therefore, takes both of these into consideration since thickening of the transplanted hair is just as important as them popping through the surface of the scalp.

Best wishes,

Bill

Bill that is the kind of info I was looking for. Thanks. How much of new hair would you guess by the 3rd-4th and 5th months?

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

wantego,

As you know, hair growth timelines vary for everyone. It's even harder to give you an average percentage in the early months since hair growth typically only starts between 3 to 5 months. I would suggest that if you are looking for averages it might look something like this:

3 months - 10%

4 months - 25%

5 months - 40%

6 months - 60%

7 months - 70%

8 months - 75%

9 months - 80%

10 months - 90%

11 months - 95%

12 months - 98%

18 months - 100%

Best wishes,

Bill

Originally posted by Bill - Associate Publisher:

wantego,

In looking at your pictures, I can safely say that you can expect a lot more growth.

I expect with the number of grafts you received that you will look like you never even had any hair loss when all is said and done icon_smile.gif

Best wishes,

Bill

Please be right. Please be right. icon_smile.gif

Thank you Bill.

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

wantego,

you have a loooong way to go. i remember being at month 7 and wondering if that was all the growth i was going to get. then in month eight i had a growth spurt. not to mention the quality of the hair will continue to improve drastically from month 9-18. looking at your 3 month pics i will agree with Bill: you're gonna have an A+ result! p.s, my redness lasted almost 6 months so don't worry, that will fade too.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Bill,Does your growth percentage timeline take into consideration patients who have had previous work [HT's-repair work]? Cause I thought I remembered a post about people with previous procedures maybe lagging behind a little in the growth timeline like maybe a couple of months,Something to do with the vascular system being compromised and that virgin scalps generally are a little quicker on the timeline.

Any posters with more than 1 HT experience the later sessions taking longer,and if so how long?

Dr Hasson 2-08

Originally posted by fixing-it:

Bill,Does your growth percentage timeline take into consideration patients who have had previous work [HT's-repair work]? Cause I thought I remembered a post about people with previous procedures maybe lagging behind a little in the growth timeline like maybe a couple of months,Something to do with the vascular system being compromised and that virgin scalps generally are a little quicker on the timeline.

Any posters with more than 1 HT experience the later sessions taking longer,and if so how long?

fixing-it;

I had a previous procedure, 300 mini-grafts, over my whole top of head and I haven't grown as fast as some pictures I've seen. At seven months, I definitely look better and most people wouldn't immediately think "bald" or "thinning", but I've seen some incredible transformations at seven months.

So, I think I'll see a lot more thickening in the next three months as well. At five months, I really couldn't tell I'd had any growth. I don't know if the previous transplant had anything to do with it or not, just that some guys look like 90% at five months and some of us start seeing a difference at the six or seven month time.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Dewayne,Yeah I am at 8 months and although I am seeing some growth now,It appears to be a little slow.[cant wait for more thickening]

I too saw nothing at 5 months,but this was with Dr Hasson So I will just have to trust the process.

Just getting antsy at 8 months wanting this to speed up some.

Dr Hasson 2-08

• 3 months later...

Hi Buddies,

I need opinion on my growth progress... Please comment.

I just have crossed my 5th month mark and have posted the updated snaps at http://www.hairtransplantnetwo...e-page.asp?WebID=943

My hairs are of very rough texture at this stage which i believe will settle down later. Currently I am suspicious about small and thin hairs along with these thick textured hairs. Are those my native hairs or newly growing transplanted ones???

A transplanted hair grows as thick hair with rough texture OR it grows as fine and then thickens later... And how do you think about my progress so far...

Thanks and Regards,

Khan ARK.

Originally posted by araufk:

Hi Buddies,

I need opinion on my growth progress... Please comment.

I just have crossed my 5th month mark and have posted the updated snaps at http://www.hairtransplantnetwo...e-page.asp?WebID=943

My hairs are of very rough texture at this stage which i believe will settle down later. Currently I am suspicious about small and thin hairs along with these thick textured hairs. Are those my native hairs or newly growing transplanted ones???

A transplanted hair grows as thick hair with rough texture OR it grows as fine and then thickens later... And how do you think about my progress so far...

Thanks and Regards,

Khan ARK.

I went back and looked at my growth pics to see where I was a 5 months. Your growth apears to be equivalent to mine. My result did not really become significant until month 10 or 11.

Your growth looks like it is progressing at a moderate/slow pace. Unfortunately, you have about half as many grafts as me planted in a slightly larger area. I would say that you will need another equal sized procedure in the same area to have a cosmetically significant result.

I am asked that question about 10 times per day in my office during consultations and have found the following photo series to be the most informative and useful answer:

3.jpg

The first 4 months looks like virtually nothing is happening and many people begin to lose hope. But then the "magic" kicks in between the 4 and 8 month marks.

Also take note of the concurent hair loss BEHIND the transplants. Remember, hairloss is progressive, and just because you may reclaim one area of the scalp, doesn't mean the others won't continue receeding as well. But even with continued hairloss and even at only eight months his improvement is cosmetically signficant.

Hope this helps.

Feller Medical, PC

Great Neck, NY

516-487-3797

www.fellermedical.com

Originally posted by Dr. Alan Feller:

Wantego,

Yes. More than a couple.

Thanks for the reply!!!! That is good news. icon_smile.gif

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

I have also been experiencing new hairs popping up 6 months post op. In fact, I managed to get a pretty big pimple a couple weeks ago in the recipient region. I didn't get one for about 6-8 weeks before that and then BAM! It indeed is encouraging to know that not all of my hairs have popped up yet.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

• 1 year later...

Me too, I'm at 22 weeks, have a hairline outline but density is awful, hoping I'm only looking at 60 percent of the grafts popping up right now, i do see a handful sprinkled throughout the scalp emerging, hopefully that means in another five months i'll have good density.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

• 2 years later...
I too have the new hair line out line but lack density. My crown isnt too good yet either leading me to think the single shaft grafts (as the ones in front) might pop up first and the multi follicle grafts come in slower for the density. I have no science to back this up but Im hanging onto hope!

Hi mate, how long after the op did you post this. I was hoping you could tell me how your crown area turned out, as I'm at nearly 9 months and the crown area is a big disappointment so far. Thanks