Dr. Alan Feller

PHOTOS: Results of 400 FUE with Dr. Feller-Hairline-Dense Pack

This patient had already had some FUE work elsewhere but desired a denser pack and a smaller FUE punch utilized. His first FUE doctor used a standard commercially available 1mm diameter punch.

I used a customized "Feller Punch" designed specifically for FUE. Patent numbers US 7,156, 856 B2 and U.S. 10/320,759

Before:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

During the procedure:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

After:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

In this next AFTER photo I've separated the natural hair from the FUE hair to demonstrate density

4.jpg

Feller Medical, PC

Great Neck, NY

Dr. Alan Feller is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Providing FUT, FUE, and mFUE

This patient had already had some FUE work elsewhere but desired a denser pack and a smaller FUE punch utilized. His first FUE doctor used a standard commercially available 1mm diameter punch.

I used a customized "Feller Punch" designed specifically for FUE. Patent numbers US 7,156, 856 B2 and U.S. 10/320,759

Before:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

During the procedure:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

After:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

In this next AFTER photo I've separated the natural hair from the FUE hair to demonstrate density

4.jpg

Feller Medical, PC

Great Neck, NY

Dr. Alan Feller is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Nice Job Dr. Feller,

How many fues were done in his previous work and in your opinion, did he really need any original work? His hair looked pretty strong even before his first fue session maybe?

Great detailed photos, Thanks.

NoBuzz

Dr. Feller,

Most of us that know you are aware that you are very talented, but I can't honestly comment on the quality of this work.

It looks like great work and is definitely refined but when performing work on a guy with a great hairline that is already 60-70 FU/cm2 how can we truly judge things?? My 80's plug work looked awesome until native hair started to leave.

No offense as I know that you are a very skilled physician but I don't like to see docs submitting their work (which whether intended or not becomes advertising) with patients that could argueably not need a HT. It starts to become very close to the advertising campaign of Dr. Armani.

MY concern is that some young NW 5 kid quickly sees these photos and without educating himself properly, runs to his nearest hairmill thinking he'll look like the photos. I realize that with FUE most jobs are of the smaller type, but still I think you understand my point.

NN

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

NN, I kind of understand what you're saying but, regardless of how the rest of his hair looked, the transplant was into a balding area and therefore still provides an excellent example of a FUE transplant. I have always been of the opinion if you do something without educating yourself with the appropiate knowledge before hand, you deserve whatever the outcome ends up being. Maybe thats 20yrs of hard nose military life showing it's self ; I was a drill Sgt for a few years. icon_biggrin.gif I dunno.

Pushing,

Ya I know I am getting kind of anal because it is good work but look at photo #1. Is that really a "balding area". It looks like his part line?? I feel that there would be better examples to truly showcase Dr. Fellers skill and expertise. With so much native hair present I think that even a lousy physicians work would look good--- Case and point--can you see the larger previous punch grafts they are talking about??

NN

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

NN,

I understand your concerns, but not every HT candidate needs a dramatic amount of hair. While it's the big cases that get most of the "press", I try not to let the smaller ones get left behind. Had this been a strip case I would not bother posting it, but because it is FUE I thought it should get some "air-time"

This patient is in his thirties, but looks like he's in his twenties. He had moderate recession in his left temple that compelled him to get his frist HT in Canada. While there is no doubt that surgery worked well for him, it left him with an "island" of hair that looked far more unnatrual than my photos demonstrate. It was so bothersome to him, in fact, that he bothered to cross the Atlantic one more time to have us finish the work here in New York.

When I saw him again almost 2 years later his results were exactly what we both expected.

Had an early twentysomething kid come into my office with his hairloss pattern I simply wouldn't accept him as an HT candidate so they need not worry about being misled by this particular patient's journey.

Bill: I use .8 and .9 mm Feller punches. The unique feature of these punches is that the punch expands in diameter just past the cutting surface. This means that there is less resistence during twisting and therefore less transection and trauma. I already have 2 patents issued on this technology and have a third one pending.

Feller Medical, PC

Great Neck, NY

Dr. Feller,

I here what you're saying. Obviously if he was willing to travel overseas it must have really bothered him and therefore needed the HT more than the photos indicated. Your work is top notch and you are the only physician that I currently recommend for FUE. I think you understood my point and I appreciate your response and the fact that you didn't take offense to it.

Keep up the sound work. We all appreciate the top docs in this profession and especially appreciate the time that you devote to our forum.

NN

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Dr. Feller,

Thanks for your information about the Feller punch. Do you have any recent work you can demonstrate for us (especially showing pictures of a shaved donor immediately post op and at maturation) using your patented punch.

Of course, Hairroot comes to mind as an example of some of your solid FUE work, and his results were phenominal. Did you use the Feller punch for him, or was this before you developed this tool?

Bill

Top notch Dr. Feller

hmmmmm. Maybe I will visit you in a year for some final touch ups to my work of art.. Too soon though.. Let's see what growth brings me for Christmas!!

Damn Hair Greed!!!

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

NN: Thank you

Bill: Yes, I used the Feller punch on Hairroot and all other FUE patients from 2004 to today.I would not even bother to perfrom FUE if I didn't have this sort of punch.

Regular punches can really damage the grafts during twisting, this is the number one problem in FUE. I realized this back in late 2002 and decided to have a punch manufactured to my specifications.

It is available to all doctors at the cost I pay for it. I make no money off the sale of Feller punches and never will. It's my hope that with good instrumentation more and more doctors will add FUE to their strip practices.

mrjb: Come in anytime

Feller Medical, PC

Great Neck, NY

Dr. Feller,

I've read your posts on this forum and another forum that in general you do not like to do large FUE sessions (800+ grafts), but I know that you have done large sessions before (1000-2000 grafts), namely, bukkaroo and hairroot. I hope I'm not misquoting you on this, but is it correct to say that the session size or the potential for a large session depends upon how easy it is for you to extract the graft? Having said that, could I schedule a lunchtime FUE session, and if it were easy for you to extract the graft from my donor and you determined that I'm a good candidate for a larger FUE session, could I then schedule a larger session 6-12 months out? I ask only about FUE because I have always cut my sides and back very short (1 guard) and so a strip scar would most likely be visible, and also I believe you are the most realistic and honest doctor when it comes to FUE.

Feanor,

Thanks for the props, and you are correct that I base session size on the facility with which I can remove the grafts.

I have performed large FUE sessions successfully but have found that quality will almost always decrease as the surgery passes the 500 mark. Exhaustion will practically guarantee this and while the grafts may LOOK intact, they are probably quite injured past the 500 mark.

This is why if you really need more than a few hundred grafts you should opt for strip.

I will, however, ATTEMPT to perform large FUE procedures, but only with the express knowledge that it is a gamble on the patient's part and that it will cost several thousands of dollars even if I am unsuccessful. I don't say this to sound arrogant or detached from the feelings and financial position of the patient, but because it is a necessity on my part for my practice to remain viable.

NO FUE doctor is going to give up a day of income just because the patient's fue grafts refused to cooperate. Instead they (the doctor) will either switch up to a bigger punch or just yank them out regardless of transection and implant them to collect the fee. While this surgery may LOOK like it was done properly, most of the grafts are injured beyond repair and the donor area has been raped.

If these fue doctors would simply use my method of being paid for the time instead of the job, then they would have every insentive to be honest when a patient simply isn't a candidate and leave the donor area alone after finding out that the first few fues were difficult.

I have asked to attend the fue surgery of almost every high profile fue doctor and have been ignored or refused outright. Dr. Jones being the only exception. Why do you think this is? It should be obvious.

If you do go to another FUE doctor make sure he does not use a 1mm punch and get it in writing BEFORE your procedure. Far too many supposed FUE doctors pulling that garbage when the going gets tough. I have an open challenge to all FUE doctors. Any patient that they need a 1mm punch to get the job done I can do with a .9mm Feller Punch. So if I can do it, they can do it, they just need to take the time to get to that level. Simple as that.

Be careful when you explore FUE doctors and make sure to tell all of them that you plan to post every step of the experience on the internet. That will either keep them honest, or give them cause to reject you...which would be a blessing.

Feller Medical, PC

Great Neck, NY

Does FUE give the patient the option to shave their head or would the marks from the fue be very noticeable?

Dr. Feller,

First off, thanks for your candid reply. Having taken the risks of FUE into consideration and the possibility that if you were unsuccessful to complete the procedure via FUE that I would forfeit some money, I am still very interested in doing a large FUE session with you. But I would like to know what is the largest FUE procedure you will do over one visit (whether that be one day or multiple days)? And should I try for a lunchtime FUE first to see if I'm a good FUE candidate before committing to a large FUE session? Finally, are there any generalizations in regards to race on who is a good FUE candidate? The reason I ask is because I'm East Asian and have the typical coarse straight less dense East Asian hair so would that make it easier for you to extract grafts or is it case by case? Thanks.

Yes, most patients can shave their hair down to a number one buzz with no trouble. But when cut down with a razor right to the skin tiny white spots may become noticable, although it is virtually a lock that nobody would know these spots were due to a transplant however.

Blacks and asians DO have a harder time with FUE. In fact, they have a harder time with strip surgery as well because in both races the grafts seem to me more fragile and less forgiving towards translocation. This is not to say that either race are always bad candidates, on the contrary, some of asians and blacks have been excellent FUE patients. In the end, as I always say, it comes down to personal physiology.

Feller Medical, PC

Great Neck, NY