YOUNG AND ON AVODART/DUTASERIDE..

ahlender

IS THERE ANYONE IS THERE 20'S THAT IS ON AVODART/DUT?" i HAVE BEEN ON IT FOR 5 MONTHS AND THE SHEDDING HAS STOPPED AND I BELEIVE MY HAIR IS STARTING TO RECOUP AND COME BACK. I THINK MY LOSS HAIR HAS SLOWED DOWN OR STOPPED. WHAT IS EVERYONE'S OPINION ON AVODART/DUT?

I can't help you specifically, but you probably know that Avodart is not currently offered as a hair treatment product, even though it theoretically may be superior to Propecia since it apparently is superior at blocking DHT components.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Avodart folks are working on approval for its use in that arena.

mark h

• 1 year later...

ahlender..

I am 25 & on dustateride, my hair loss in the last 4months has been massive tbh, so i was recomended this, i think th shedding has stopped but cant be 100% sure at the mo as ive only been on it for a month (@ 2.5mg daily), i have however noticed regrowth at the front, the hairs are still pale but some are growning back strong ! fingers crossed ! i will keep you updated..

• 2 months later...

Please keep me in touch, I just got a box of Dutas but I think I am chickening out due to reading all this negative stuff about having a hard shedding period and decreased testostorone levels. I want to keep up with this thread. I hate the fact that I just spent a lot of money on this and now I'm considering not using it. ugh.

All-

There are actually two forms of 5-alpha reductase- this is the enzyme that converts testosterone to Di-Hydroxy-testosterone (DHT).

Finasteride blocks only one type, and, at 1mg/day, there is a 62%-70% reduction in DHT levels.

Dutasteride effectively blocks 100% of DHT production as it blocks both types of 5-alpha reductases.

Remember also, that if you experience side effects from finasteride they will reverse within two weeks from stopping the medication, whereas sexual side effects experienced from taking dutasteride may take UP TO ONE YEAR to reverse.

As for increased shedding with dutast- that too would make sense, as you are impacting a larger percentage of follicles (100% DHT blocked as opposed to 62%-70%) and hence would have more of a "response". (And, after all, that is presumably why one would take dutast over finast- looking for a greater "response")

Hope that helps-

Sincerely,

Timothy Carman, MD ABHRS

President, (ABHRS)
ABHRS Board of Directors

Dr.Timothy,

Just want to know whether Dutasteride or Finasteride help in holding the hairline..I am 23 and I am in NW3 stage .. What are my other options?Can you please shed some light on this..I am currently been using a combination of both i.e, alternately along with Minoxidil 5% on my Tricho's prescription.

• 2 months later...
Originally posted by ahlender:

IS THERE ANYONE IS THERE 20'S THAT IS ON AVODART/DUT?" i HAVE BEEN ON IT FOR 5 MONTHS AND THE SHEDDING HAS STOPPED AND I BELEIVE MY HAIR IS STARTING TO RECOUP AND COME BACK. I THINK MY LOSS HAIR HAS SLOWED DOWN OR STOPPED. WHAT IS EVERYONE'S OPINION ON AVODART/DUT?

Were you taking finasteride prior to starting Avodart?

I'm 9 days into Avodart. I've been on Propecia for 3 years. My current regimen is that I take 1.5 - 2 mg Avodart(3 or 4 .5 mg capsules) every 3rd day and 1.5 mg Propecia on the days in which I don't use Avodart.

Just yesterday I began experiencing intermittent pain in my testicles. I have felt discomfort in the past with Propecia; however, not to the intensity that I'm currently feeling.

Despite the pain, I'm going to continue with my routine. This may be only temporary, at least I hope so.

how are you guys getting your dutasteride? just normal script? i'm on propecia but am looking into alternative options.

my reg is:

propecia 1mg EVERYDAY

minox 5% twice daily (f the foam)

nizoral 1%

say la V old buddies .... i'm tryin to keep you

guys i would like to caution everyone who is regularly on avodart, specially if you are young......DHT is 10x more potent than testostrene.....u can't simply block all of DHT.....u will lose all ur manliness....ur voice, muscles(yes muscles too!! check out on bodybuilding.com how DHT helps in muscle building) erection problems, semen sperm count reduction....shit loads of side effects....and many of them are irreversible!! i will find a post from another forum where a dude who used avodart for 2years has sufferred a lot,...and he still can't get back to normal after 1year after stopping it.....

even i was very tempted...i even bought dutas...but i didnt take ot after i did more research....just my 0.02

Indian Balding..... Now that is a very strong statement. How do you substantiate it? After all there are many people out there taking Avodart. Are you saying that hair loss can be stopped or reversed by taking some other drug? Think Again.

5700 Grafts, Dr. Hasson

last week i went to go see one of the local surgeons recommended on this site. he told me that he does not recommend avodart because the side effects are not reversible. please ask your doctor before you start down this path. thanks. i'm staying on propecia for now.

Using Propecia since 1997

Using Rogaine Foam once a day since 2012

Using Niazoral 2% once a week since 2012