Surgeons in MIAMI/FT.LAUDERDALE AREA

Hi everyone!

I would like to know if there are any excellent surgeons in the Miami/Ft.Lauderdale area? I've heard of Dr.Shapiro a lot and that is because of the radio. I'm not sure

he is good and I would like to know if anyone has gone through a surgery with him.

There are some posts that i have read and a lot of people seem to recommend Dr. Jeff

Epstein. If anyone has surgery with either one of them, i would like to hear your comments, feedbacks, and recommendations. Thanks

Hi everyone!

I would like to know if there are any excellent surgeons in the Miami/Ft.Lauderdale area? I've heard of Dr.Shapiro a lot and that is because of the radio. I'm not sure

he is good and I would like to know if anyone has gone through a surgery with him.

There are some posts that i have read and a lot of people seem to recommend Dr. Jeff

Epstein. If anyone has surgery with either one of them, i would like to hear your comments, feedbacks, and recommendations. Thanks

Dr. Shapiro is probably one of the best surgeons in the world for 100% undetectable hairlines. I've had my last procedure with him and the results are incredable (I can not even tell myself that I had a HT). But Shapiro is not in FL-- he is in MN. Dr. Charles and Rose both worked with Shapiro in the past are in FL.

• Administrators

Guys,

I think Miami is referring to Dr. Lawrence Shapiro in the Miamia area who advertises heavily. From what I have heard and seen the only thing these Shapiros have in common is the name.

Dr. Ron Shapiro did have a clinic in the past in the Tampa/Clearwater area. But he now does surgery exclusively in Minnesota.

Florida has has some of the best hair transplant physicians in the world and some of the worst. To learn about those who in my opinion are the very best visit our Florida Recomendation page.

Best wishes, Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

I would never recommend Dr. Larry Shapiro in Miami if it's the same one Pat mentioned. I spent some time in Miami in 2001 and a patient asked me to sit in on his consult with him.

I found him to be arrogant, not a good listener, non-attentive, and VERY aggressive in trying to get a deposit for a procedure. He appeared very frustrated when this patient told him he was going to talk with a few other docs like Dr. Glenn Charles and Dr. Jeff Epstein. He suddenly had no more time to answer any questions. He then asked us if we were with the State Board of Medical Examiners and seemed kind of paranoid. We both had a bad feeling about the appointment and that's my opinion for whatever it's worth.

This is clearly not the Dr. Ron Shapiro in MPLS! icon_smile.gif

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I recommend that you hold consultation with all of these surgeons in your area from the recommended doctors Epstein, Charles, Bauman,Rose (and these all have received excellent recommendation) amd then pick the one YOU feel most comfortable with.........

HT with Dr. Jeffrey Epstein

Dec. 17, 2004

3029 FU--NW5

Hey guys,

Thank you for all your comments and opinions. I have read several different forums and the DR. i am referring is Dr. Larry Shapiro from Ft.Lauderdale area. I went to his office 2 days after i post this, and schedule to do my surgery at the end of this month. But after reading through several feedbacks and other forums, i have changed my mind and find another surgeon. Hehe good thing i left with my credit card and i will cancel it asap! THANK YOU GUYS for the tip, or i'll be regreting for the rest of my life!

I see that a lot of people recommend Dr.Epstein and Dr.Bauman.

Has anyone had HT on either one of them? Are they one of the

best in South Florida? Thank you very much again for the tip.

-Miami305

Miami

Dr. Jeff. Epstein did my surgery 6 months ago, you can look up my threads, my photo gallery under Galleries...

Neil Nelson, another member has done the surgery with Dr. Epstein atthe same day, so you can look up his experience and pictures as well

If I can be of any help, please let me know

Dec. 17, 2004

3029 FU--NW5

Phillyhair,

Thank you for showing me the pics. They are

really undetectable. Although for me, I was wondering if anyone has pictures of scars after

the surgery, and after 7 days. The reason why is

because I have a shaved head and i keep it shaved

so I won't lose much. At times, I use the Lasercomb, which I think it does work, but not

great result. Maybe 10-15%. I was wondering if I perform the surgery, how bad my scar will show? I'm planning to take a week off from work so at least my head won't be too noticeable. Please let me know if the scars are noticeable after 7-10 days. Thank you guys for your time.

-Miami305

Miami305,

The short answer to your question is YES, the scar will show for a period of time......if your hair is shorter than 1" long....So with you sayingthat you cut your hair, pretty short...you run the risk of it showing at least in the first month...

I had my hair about 1-2" long alklk over, and teh scar was not noticable...as my hair covered it. Not later on, a good scar is around 1-2 mm in width, so potentially you can buzz down to a number 2-3 without it showing...BUT YOU KNOW< this is a plastic suregery so results might vary...NEil Nelson had some good pictures of his scar...(But take into consideration that his was a repair surgery, so he already had several scars before his operation with Dr. Epstein....he also had long hair to cover it up...But as you can, scar is undetectable when he cut it shorter after 5.5 moinths from surgery..........

If in the future, you would like to keep cutting you hair very very short...than you probably should go wth a FUE not a stip surgery.....there are positive and limitations with each type of surgery and you have to consult a doctor and weigh in the positives and negatives...in YOUR situation....

As far as tranplanted area and donot scar in my cae...I couldn't have been happier.....it looks very naturalll...totally undetectable....after a week off after the surgery........... (Noit even the people I work with on a daily basis detected I had a HT done....and I was a NW5.......

Dec. 17, 2004

3029 FU--NW5

Hi Phillyhair

Thank you for the information you passed along. My hair is cut to a zero. hehehe...I have a question that need to be cleared up first. What is the difference between FUE and FU? I'm still a little bit confused after reading it. It would be good if you can explained that to me a little bit clearer.

If I were to do my surgery, I probably won't cut my hair and use Toppik to cover the scar area. Is it safe to use Toppik after 7-10 days? I read some other threads and they say some people can use toppik the first week. Also, I can wear hats to my work and its a inside environment, does the follicle gets damaged if i wear the hat the whole day? I'm sorry for all these questions, I am just anxious to know and I will still ask the doctor when i see him.

-Miami305

miami305,

Refer to this page for a detailed description of both follicular unit transplantation (FUT) and follicular-unit extraction (FUE). While you are there, research the rest of the Hair Loss Learning Center. It is filled with information that is "need to know" for anyone considering the procedure.

Some pages of particular interest:

Transplants - How to do it right

Hair restoration surgery - step-by-step

How to choose a clinic

Hair Trasplant FAQ's

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Hey

Thank you for the links to the site. I still have one question in mind. I know its best to have your own donors to produce great result, but is it also possible to have other people as donors? If the DNA doesn't match, the hair won't grow?

Originally posted by miami305:

Hey

Thank you for the links to the site. I still have one question in mind. I know its best to have your own donors to produce great result, but is it also possible to have other people as donors? If the DNA doesn't match, the hair won't grow?

Right. This has been tested before but the complications and implications deemed that it was not a viable solution.

If it were, you would probably hear about "hair thieves" knocking people out and performing rogue FUE sessions in dark alleys. icon_biggrin.gif

-Robert

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

We would have to lock up our hair with chains from hair thieves then. hahaha...But thanks for the great info provided.

Anyone else had experiences with Dr.Jeff Epstein, Dr.Nusbaums, or Dr.Bauman? I live closest to Dr.Epstein and Dr.Bauman's the farthest and these are my options so far. I would love to hear anyone that had surgery with any of these Doctors and recommendations.

miami,

Do a keyword search for past posts regarding these physicians. The search function is located under the Find tab. Be sure you uncheck the box that limits the search to only one forum.

-Robert