Any Doctors...is it true...

That DHT is higher at night so it's better to take Propecia at night rather than the morning???

and what about the claim that weight-lifting increases hair loss because of the raise in testosterone that, in turn, changes into DHT?

any info will help...

That DHT is higher at night so it's better to take Propecia at night rather than the morning???

and what about the claim that weight-lifting increases hair loss because of the raise in testosterone that, in turn, changes into DHT?

any info will help...

This isn't a very scientific answer to your question but this is something I have noticed. Every time I have decided to go on a health kick and lift weights I notice more hair loss. Every time I get serious about lifting, after about 2 weeks, I start seeing hairs everywhere. It has really stopped me from working out on a regular basis. I feel that I look better with a head of hair rather than semi-bald and ripped. So now I just lift occasionally.

I just had a physical and had a long chat with my doctor about propecia and proscar. Apparently, I am allergic to finasteride. I have tried using it twice now. The first time I got itchy whelps all over, especially around my lips - real nice. I just recently decided to try once more but have been getting itchy again - the whelps are on their way. My doc said to stop taking it. I'm just going to keep getting HT work until I have no more doner hair left. I've had 8 procedures to date but some of the first ones were only 50 grafts.

It is interesting to read some of the good questions- such as about DHT levels fluctuating during 24 hour day. First of all, I don't know the answer for sure- perhaps some of the researchers do. Logic would tell you that DHT doesn't last long in the serum. After a single dose of Propecia, the serum DHT levels will drop 65% in 24 hours. Since finasteride only shuts off production (affects alpha reductase II, not I)and has no effect on existing DHT, one would have to assume that DHT is extremely transient in the serum and is dependent on continuous new production. It takes 7 days after a single dose of Propecia for the body to restore the pre-dose serum DHT levels, so it isn't that quick and is dependent on new AR II enzyme production.

Propecia has a half life in the serum of 4-6 hours, but disables nearly all of the AR II enzyme during that time. The tissue levels remain for a month. It is very unlikely that your DHT levels will fluctuate significantly at night while on Propecia. When not on Propecia, the enzyme has nothing to inactivate it and I doubt that the DHT level would vary much in the evening when not on treatment either. If I can find any definite information I will relay it to you.

Dr. Parsley is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

what about the weight-lifting claim that it increases DHT and, in turn, increases hair loss?

one more thing..

how does one know if they're allergic to Propecia?

I have only heard of a few cases of allergy to Finesteride. Anything in medicine is possible. If a person develops a rash/hives after taking a new medication on two seperate occations then there is a good chance that they may actually be allergic. In order to be more sure they should not be taking any other medications and not using any new hygiene products (soaps/detergents). I have never seen any studies that suggest that weightlifting causes increased DHT levels or hairloss. I agree with Dr. Parsley that most likely DHT levels remain somewhat constant in person s not taking any DHT blockers.

It is a common believe among professional athletes, sports medicine docs, and pro bodybuilders that a males testosterone levels (peak) during sleeping hours at night then again between noon and 2:00 pm but not as high as during resting hours at night. The body muscles recupperate/repair themselfes during sleeping hours which your body releases many chemecials, hormorones during resting hours (wonder why a male has good "blood flow" in the morning that most women hate?). If this is the case then one should take propecia at bedtime to get the max effect. I've been taking propecia for 6 yrs--last 4 yrs at bedtime and noticed a slight improvement (less shedding).

I do know that the highest testosterone peak is in the early morning hours. I remember reading something recently that it also elevates right after sex but not necessarily with the thoughts of sex (thank goodness, or we would all be bald).

I don't think these peaks would be that significant with Propecia but I am not aware of any studies. The tissues levels of Propecia last longer and should dampen these peaks. I guess to be safe, however, one should take the drug at bedtime so I believe you are doing the right thing. Good questions.

Coincidentally, I just saw my first definite case of Propecia allergy a few days ago. A fellow had hives, stopped, restarted, and had hives again. It is very rare.

Dr. Parsley is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

The literature that comes with Propecia now states that "some" users may experience swelling of the lips and other areas. It doesn't tell you what to do if you have this swelling. That's why I talked to my general practitioner about it. He said to avoid it because swelling of tissues could be dangerous.