Had HT with Dr. Rose, Now What?

OK, looking for wisdom from all. Had a great experience with Dr. Rose on Thursday Jan 4, 2007. 4 days post op and my head looks like its healing nicely. Now I want to do all I can to keep the momentum. I need some sort of regimen. Would love to build up the crown. What shampoo's should I use? What vitamins should I use, Will finisteride do ANYTHING for my crown? I was using minoxidil 2% once per day in the evening because the day dose was just too greasy. Is that a waste of time? Any input, as always is greatly appreciated. Thx, ASDS

OK, looking for wisdom from all. Had a great experience with Dr. Rose on Thursday Jan 4, 2007. 4 days post op and my head looks like its healing nicely. Now I want to do all I can to keep the momentum. I need some sort of regimen. Would love to build up the crown. What shampoo's should I use? What vitamins should I use, Will finisteride do ANYTHING for my crown? I was using minoxidil 2% once per day in the evening because the day dose was just too greasy. Is that a waste of time? Any input, as always is greatly appreciated. Thx, ASDS

Congrats!!!!!!

Use Rogaine Foam, many people seem to be having a great time using it in the crown area. I will be adding this to my regimen in a few weeks, as well.

Obviously, propecia would be a good idea and I would add MSM as well. I think someone posted that you can get 1000mg capsules at WalMart cheaply.

I currently use Nioxin shampoo and conditioner, in addition to alternating off the shelf Nizoral once in a while to control dandruff. I would wait to use the Nizoral AFTER your staples come out. The Nioxin seems to really increase bloodflow to my scalp in addition to helping decrease surface DHT.

This will be my current regimen in approx 2 weeks, after seeing/reading the results of many others.

I hope this helps and happy growing!!!!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Well I'm another one who had a HT this first week of January, and seem also to be doing pretty well.

I have no swelling and hardly any redness to speak of. However, my scalp does itch every now & then but I think it's better than it was yesterday (my HT was Jan 3rd).

During the first 4 days I basically rinsed my scalp several times/day with a mild solution of water/epsom salts. I'll probably continue with these rinses for a while...not sure if it's therapeautic or not, but it sure does feel good.

Best of luck both you guys. I'm really looking forward to the holiday season in '07 and I know you guys are too.

2967 Total Grafts w/ Dr. Cooley on 1/3/07 [1st HT]

Hair Count = 5,427

My Hair Loss Weblog

Great news Middleson, happy for you too. Is Folligen over the counter or by mail?.I'm looking for an all out assualt, so all positive things will be in my regimen. Thanks, ASDS

This was posted by Cousin_It a while back and I think it is the most lucid explanation to date:

MSM (methylsulfonylmethane) is a compound derived from DMSO. Back in the 70's DMSO was thought to be a "cure all" of many conditions, from arthritis to constipation, anything that ailed could be helped by this substance. Though it does have a basis in medicine for conditions such a cystitis (bladder infection) it did not live up to its claims. Anyway, it was found the body converted a portion of DMSO into MSM. Chemists believed this was the active component responsible for these "medical miracles" so they began synthesizing this compound as the next "miracle" supplement. Simply put it is a sulfur compound thought to have beneficial effect on several processes. One of its so called benefits was faster hair and nail growth. Some people swear by it, some find it does nothing. No actual scientific studies had been done to prove its efficacy. The usual dose ranges from 1-3 grams, some scientists argue it is innocuous, simply a way of supplementing sulfur, while others contend long term use may not be safe.

Many people seem to find that daily use makes hair/nails grow faster and stronger.

I would suggest giving it a try.

Thanks Cousin!!!!!!

B

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Guest Cousin_It

Guys...

I agree, products with copper peptides can certainly help the healing process. This seem most effective in reducing the redness after a transplant. Some people also claim it reduces the number of transplanted grafts that shed, but rather promotes them to continue growing. Personally I used it after my transplant but did not find it helped me in this respect, all but a few grafts shed anyway.

Good luck to your guys in the upcoming months.

Hi asds,

a new all natural supplement has been developed by an Irish company specifically for hair loss patients and has received excellent reviews in the British daily press. I have been using it for a month and feel happy with it. A complete course lasts for six months for a total cost of some $300. It is called Nukrin Man. Try www.life2good.com.

OK, one more thing, I was told to use a gentle shampoo after HT, I naturally thought Baby Shampoo would be just that. After 3 shampoos I asked Dr. Rose and he said that it was actually too harsh and to discontinue. Anybody else make this mistake? I would hate to think I damaged the little buggers by using something harsh. They all seem to still be sticking around though. Any input? Experiences?

asds,

I just checked my written post-op instructions as far as shampooing goes...only says to guard against letting the shower stream hit the scalp for one week (and to use a non-medicated shampoo)...suggests using plastic or styrofoam cup for rinses...they told me that frequent soaking would be benificial as well. That's about it for the shampoo suggestions.

I have done very frequent rinsings with salt water solutions and I'm convinced it's really helped the healing process. My gut feeling regarding the benefits of salt water rinses/soaking for post-op HT care is rooted from a boyhood growing up very near the beaches in Florida...salt water seemed to work wonders on all manner of cuts, sores, and skin issues.

I'm still really pleased with how I'm healing with the one week point being tomorrow, and I'm more than pleased with how it seems it is going to look down the road. I sure hope you and the B-Spot (another brother in the class of January 07) are also pleased and doing well. And that goes out to all the other recent class members who either post or lurk here.

Hair Count = 5,427

My Hair Loss Weblog

Clarification:

My instructions say to use the non-medicated shampoo on the back and sides of my scalp during the first week.

They also sent me home with a sample of "Folligen Therapy Shampoo" and "Folligen Therapy Conditioner with Copper Peptides". Since this product is being recommended I'm thinking of ordering it myself & continue using it for a while. I've never been really selective with shampoo, but what the heck?

[edited for poor spilling]

Hair Count = 5,427

My Hair Loss Weblog

Guys I am using the Graftcyte Kit this time, and I have to tell you it is really doing a great job!!!!!! My head and hair feel GREAT!!!!!

My scalp is noticeably less red than my last session, which is saying a lot, because I was never very red/pink in the first place during HT #1.

The concentrated spray, compress packs, and shampoo/conditioner is really impressive.

In addition, the kit includes a wound dressing called Iamin to put on your wound. This creates an almost "hard" barrier around the tissue/staples which seems to reduce redness and limits risk of infection.

After 6 full days of use, I personally feel and see a difference.

I think it is worth the money and I would recommend it for anyone going in for a HT.

Hope this helps out!!!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs