Pat - Community Publisher

Visit to Dr. Steve Gabel's Clinic in Portland, Oregon

Over the past few years that Dr. Steve Gabel has been recommended on the Hair Transplant Network, I have gotten to know him and his ultra refined work. I have come to regard him as being highly ethical and a likable straight shooter who works hard to provide his patients with excellent results at modest cost.

So I was not surprised to find while visiting his clinic that he and his staffs' truly ultra refined hair transplant procedure was outstanding from start to finish.

I also had the opportunity to see a few of his patient in person and their results were very natural. These patients were very pleased with their results and their entire experience. To view their before and after photos visit http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums?a=albumtopi...1037353&f=2091043751

I was very impressed with the great attention to detail and care that Dr. Gabel and his staff showed at every step of the procedure.

Dr. Gabel took ample time to carefully remove the donor strip in sections in order to avoid follicle transection (severing follicles) and any damage to the underlying tissue, blood vessels and nerves. He adopted this careful donor strip removal from the expert surgeon Dr. Ray Konior of Chicago.

Dr. Gabel then performed a trichophytic closure that included using subcutaneous sutures (internal sutures in the tissue under the skin). These internal sutures pull the underlying tissues beneath the skin together so that the second external running suture simply closes the skin with minimal tension. Since tension is a leading factor in scarring, the low tension on the scalp's skin consistently produces pencil thin donor scars.

His donor removal and closure on average takes almost a full hour. Dr. Gabel's strong prior surgical background is evident in his skilled donor removal and closure. In my opinion, the combination of internal and external sutures is optimal for both minimizing scarring and potential patient discomfort.

On the day of my visit the patient had very good donor laxity and Dr. Gabel was able to remove a strip from ear to ear that was as wide as 1.75 centimeter at the back of the head and tapering to 1.3cm on the sides.

This donor tissue was carefully trimmed by Dr. Gabel's experienced staff under microscopes. The quality and refinement of the grafts appeared to be excellent. His staff is capable of trimming and placing over 4,000 follicular unit grafts during a single session.

Patient did not want to shave his recipient area so the hairs in this area where left long. Dr. Gabel chose to make the graft incisions in and around this existing hair sagitally (parallel to the underlying hair follicles) so as to minimize trauma and transection of these existing follicles.

Dr. Gable credits much of minimally invasive incision technique and careful graft orientation to Dr. Alan Feller, who mentored and encouraged him to perform a truly cutting edge procedure from day one of his career.

However in the areas without pre-existing hair he made lateral incisions (incisions perpendicular to the angle of the hairs normal growth) using tiny custom cut blades. In general Dr. Gabel prefers to make lateral (perpendicular) incisions. He is very meticulous about controlling the angle and direction of the incisions so that they replicate the natural direction and pattern of the hairs.

He used blades as small as 0.70 to create incisions for the single hair grafts and 0.90 for the three and four hair grafts.

Dr. Gabel is very hands on and typically places many of the grafts along with his staff.

In the surgery I observed the patient received 3,203 grafts in both his frontal hairline area, temporal points and crown for a total of 6,519 FUs (594 singles, 2274 doubles, 323 triples and 12 four hair grafts).

The surgery began at 7:30 am and was completed at 7:00 Pm. In my opinion, this surgery exemplified high quality ultra refined follicular unit hair transplantation.

To learn more about Dr. Gabel view his recommendation page at http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Consult-a-Physician/Doctors.asp?DrID=633

9291017353_1C2F1C350DDC6163583333C4ADB24A07.jpg.thumb 9191017353_062F7D5A2F5AD75D9799C1612D5195A7.jpg.thumb 8291017353_9C6BE67A9183B0C2C1C8B077BB647061.jpg.thumb 8191017353_81CEA2DD267E870FF59C098D3F2F4999.jpg.thumb 7291017353_0BC88C09040DC2BB98F7C44CB4FE5D8B.jpg.thumb 7191017353_4F5D601282B40A9B454AC35D748000F9.jpg.thumb 6291017353_8C88E7824EE2713C56606276858AA757.jpg.thumb 6191017353_BE8BC68CB6A9602D3C7ABBD813F65991.jpg.thumb 5391017353_60BD0B835312DD9175D2D1302DDB1F38.jpg.thumb 5291017353_91CA33325951AF45325DE06E31146059.jpg.thumb 4391017353_6430EFE618FE15D222F0968DBB3ED9A6.jpg.thumb 4291017353_E507590CB918F02E914636F3401D23C8.jpg.thumb 3391017353_7FE8F4766146C5AA0D558D272AA45F08.jpg.thumb 3291017353_E54D689CC1EEA767F5CB9E3B7D8389C1.jpg.thumb 2391017353_7D29EDFCF2FB3DC5E6FD34458F21B782.jpg.thumb 2291017353_7A855E3A81FBE73E9C9439D81B368226.jpg.thumb 1391017353_3A2C31F5EF39B40070C352228278C85B.jpg.thumb 1291017353_5F7DD57CDEC81EA4850208AA43C713F1.jpg.thumb 1141037353_B51A40AD4E5FBC4DF6513CE07CFFB1A0.jpg.thumb

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

View some of the Leading Hair Transplant Clinics that I have visited.

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Pat,

Thank you for providing such an exceptional and detailed writeup of your visitation with Dr. Gabel.

I am pleased but not surprised to hear that he has truly mastered the art of ultra refined follicular unit hair transplantation.

It is obvious that Dr. Gabel is extremely meticulous in his work and pays close attention to detail.

I look forward to seeing more of his involvement in our hair restoration forum community.

Bill

I am the managing publisher of the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog and the Hair Loss Forum. I am also a 4 time hair transplant patient. View my patient hair loss website to view my entire hair restoration journey with photos.

Remember, true beauty radiates from within, not from the skin.

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Bill

I appreciate your support for my membership into the Coalition. And as I recently posted, it was a pleasure having Pat out to the office to demonstrate the work that we are doing. He spent the entire day with us allowing him to evaluate my practice, surgical technique, and our patient care from start to finish.

It is our primary goal at Northwest Surgical Hair Restoration to achieve outstanding results with great attention to all details of the patient's experience from the initial consultation, surgery, and follow up care.

Thank you.

Steve Gabel, M.D.

Portland, Oregon

503-693-1118

www.nwshr.com

Steven Gabel, MD, FACS, FISHRS

Diplomate, American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery

Diplomate, American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery

Diplomate, American College of Surgeons

Gabel Hair Restoration Center

Portland, Oregon

503-693-1118

Email Dr. Gabel directly at drgabel@gabelcenter.com

Dr. Gabel's Website

Dr. Steven Gabel is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Hi Dr. Gabel,

Congrats on your membership into the Coalition. From what I have seen you've earned it. I do have a question for you. From looking at your pictures you seem like a great candidate for an HT. Why have you not recieved one yourself? I definitely don't think that people who's hair loss doesn't bother them should even worry about getting an HT and I suspect that is your case, but as a patient if I were visiting you for a consultation it would DEFINITELY be in my mind that if it's good enough for his patients why is it not good enough for him. Similar philosophy with a personal trainer. I would want them to be in excellent shape. Kind of a practice what you preach mentality. Again congrat and I look forward to your thoughts.

I viewed the pics before reading the write-up and was going to comment that the incisions looked as tiny as mine courtesy of dr. feller....then i read the write-up and it all makes sense...excellent looking work!

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a temporary/non-permanent Scalp Micropigmentation Company in the New York area. AHEAD INK is a Milena Lardi trained clinic and uses Beauty Medical equipment and products exclusively.

I agree with hairthere,the work looks first class.

2 x strip ht`s with Norton,very poor results

1 x fue ht with DHI,very poor result

As a former patient of Dr. Gabel I am very pleased to read about Pat's visit and Dr. Gabel's induction into the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Surgeons. Everything Pat said is true (of course!). Not only is Dr. Gabel emminently capable of performing state-of-the-art hair transplantation, but he unwaveringly holds a patient's best interests at heart at all times. I'm happy to see Dr. Gabel receive such a wonderful review, he sure deserves it!

Kelly,

Thanks for your contribution on this thread. Your hair looks great by the way! You must be thrilled!

I also recently posted something on your blog.

Best wishes,

Bill

I am the managing publisher of the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog and the Hair Loss Forum. I am also a 4 time hair transplant patient. View my patient hair loss website to view my entire hair restoration journey with photos.

Remember, true beauty radiates from within, not from the skin.

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Dr. Gabel -- great looking work!

One thought on "flyby's" question -- I see his point, but the difference between the personal trainer thing and a HT physician having his (her?) own HT is that, at least as I see it, a HT is a purely aesthetic call, whereas being in shape is about health. It may well be that Dr. Gabel simply doesn't want to go that route himself...as many cosmetic surgeons haven't themselves had work done. That, and he may not in fact be a good candidate...

Benjamin

In many cases it might be a good idea if the physician is not the best of candidates to not have a HT. I would think that for many uneducated potential patients, the result that they see on the doc is the image that they will have of their own possible future results. Ofcourse most of us know that all situations are looked at seperately, but the average Joe might not.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Hi NN,

I'm a little confused with the not not double negative in your first sentence :-)

I think you may be saying something like a doctor who is a NW7 would be better off not having an HT because his patients may see a result they don't find satisfactory. And as they are uneducated, even though they as a NW3 could achieve incredible results they would associate the image of the doctors NW7 results with their own potential results and decide not to get an HT because they didn't like the doctors NW7 results. If that's what you're saying I agree 100%.

I'd still love to hear from Dr. Gabel as to my earlier post. What is your opinion? To me it seems like Dr. Gabel is a pretty good candidate for an HT (from seeing his pictures). If you were in his same hair loss category and were going to him for an HT wouldn't you be wondering why he hadn't recieved one? I know i would for sure and it would put the thought in my head that if they're not good enough for him to get one they why would I. IMO the best selling point for an HT doc is great results with detailed pictures like we all love to see hear. And even better then that is seeing a great result in person.

Flyby,

Sorry for the double negative. Yes, you understood what I was trying to say. However, I agree with you that it would be interesting to hear his opinion.

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

It's pretty obvious to me: He gets to wear one of those cool surgical caps all day so why worry about hair?

To each his own. I still admire balding men who don't let it bother them.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

I agree with that statemen Dewayne. Wouldn't it be nice if we just lost our hair gracefully and it never even crossed our minds? At my age now (40) hairloss is not as big of a deal to me. Unfortunately I had some bad work when I was 22 so I had no choice but to correct things as my native hair started to disappear.

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Hi Dr. Gabel,

...I do have a question for you. From looking at your pictures you seem like a great candidate for an HT. Why have you not recieved one yourself?....

Dr. Gabel is a leading HT surgeon, a regular Iron Man Triathlon runner, a part-time book author, and also a licensed pilot if I remember correctly; also, he has a facial structure that doesn't really need hair to work. For these reasons I imagine he just doesn't bother.

I believe Dr. Gabel has a new clinic in the works last I heard, would be excited to see some photographs of it once it opens.

I intend to visit him at some point so he can photograph what I look like after having my restoration completed with him, so I'll probably get to see the new digs first hand in the future.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016