DAY 1 POST OP FLIGHT?

Greetings fellow bloggers! I salute you!

This place is a powerhouse of information!

Congratulations and saludos to the founding father and other die hards of this site. serving the follicularly challenged int'l community. you guys should be canonized as the patron saints of premature balding.

Ok getting down to business...

I wanted an opinion from this community.

I'm looking at having a 'mega-sesh' in BC with H&W pr0bably 4000 grafts, give or take a few.

I'm booking a flight to canada from the Antipodes.

My burning question is...(and I'm sorry if it's already posted, if so, please refer me to that entry)...

AFTER 4-5 THOUSAND GRAFTS, WHEN IS IT A GOOD IDEA TO JUMP ON AN INT'L FLIGHT? SHOULD I FLY OFF THE NEXT DAY OR LIE LOW FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS IN THE HOTEL WHILE SCABS DRY?

I remember one guy posting that 'bandanas' pass pretty cool through int'l customs but hats have to go through the rayos-x. i'm trying to find that bloggin'. are there any other experiences that people may have or ideas or personal techniques about THOSE CRUCIAL FIRST FEW DAYS POST OP AND WHAT YOU MEGA-SESHERS OUT THERE DO?

thanks. keep up the good postin'.

SEE-YAS!

Greetings fellow bloggers! I salute you!

This place is a powerhouse of information!

Congratulations and saludos to the founding father and other die hards of this site. serving the follicularly challenged int'l community. you guys should be canonized as the patron saints of premature balding.

Ok getting down to business...

I wanted an opinion from this community.

I'm looking at having a 'mega-sesh' in BC with H&W pr0bably 4000 grafts, give or take a few.

I'm booking a flight to canada from the Antipodes.

My burning question is...(and I'm sorry if it's already posted, if so, please refer me to that entry)...

AFTER 4-5 THOUSAND GRAFTS, WHEN IS IT A GOOD IDEA TO JUMP ON AN INT'L FLIGHT? SHOULD I FLY OFF THE NEXT DAY OR LIE LOW FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS IN THE HOTEL WHILE SCABS DRY?

I remember one guy posting that 'bandanas' pass pretty cool through int'l customs but hats have to go through the rayos-x. i'm trying to find that bloggin'. are there any other experiences that people may have or ideas or personal techniques about THOSE CRUCIAL FIRST FEW DAYS POST OP AND WHAT YOU MEGA-SESHERS OUT THERE DO?

thanks. keep up the good postin'.

SEE-YAS!

Crazy Baldhead,

Welcome to the forums.

I'll save you the trouble of looking for the bandanna post - it was mine. Bear in mind that there are no hard and fast rules regarding the inspection of headwear, but the snugger fit allows for a lesser hiding space, thereby reducing the need for inspection. The most important thing is to check with your doctor if he is OK with this type of headwear so soon post op.

With regards to flying the day after, I would not foresee this being a problem. H & W will see you the morning after to ensure that all is in order and you should be fine for travelling barring any unforeseen circumstances.

Best of luck. Many posters have great results with H & W and I believe that you have made a very good choice.

Bayer

I understand your concerns as I had similar myself. Agree about talking it over with your doctor about your individual situation, type of hat/headwear, etc.

Here's my own individual experience: I flew the following day wearing the baseball hat provided by H & W the day of my surgery. I was stopped going through security in Vancouver and was asked to remove my hat. I explained that I had just had surgery and showed them the letter provided by H & W. They let me keep my hat on and ran a metal detector over my head and let me through wihtout any hassle.

Good luck with your procedure and travels!

I had a mega session but more in the crown than in front thus I didn't have much swelling.

Personally, I think you're better off traveling the day after the surgery because if you wait until days 2-4 you may have some substantial swelling to deal with. The day after, it may have started but I doubt will be as advanced as it could get.

As for hat/bandana, I wore the standard issue H&W hat after my HT and was not asked to remove it nor did my staples set off the detector...........no worries. I had a 4-hour flight followed by a 4-hour drive, again, no big deal.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Having gone the route you seek, personally I would stay longer. HT1-4,700grafts Dr.Hasson... I left day 3po my swelling was not tooo bad for the flight I wore a bandanna and HW gave me a letter so I had reason to wear the bandanna through security checks. With that said I would wait to get your staples removed from the clinic, the support and peace of mind that provides a mega session patient is invaluable. Some don't think the flight is that big a deal, I on the other hand plan to stay near by for pass2. Being in an airport with heightened anxiety from having just had a procedure combined with the added stress of airports and airtravel in not the best plan of action in my opinion. Taking it easy is good for the grafts/scar/and peace of mind...if you can afford it...do it.

my2cents

bay

Hi again,

firstly, thanks to everyone for their input.

Right after posting this thread I worked out how to search (daaah)and also found some good pages, an excellent one started by spex, which say much the same thing as above but in more detail... explicit detail. put that hat on with care, starting at the brow and lifting over...

still, I didn't know about the power of that H&W letter- I'll certainly have that in my hot little hand going through customs- or better still, i'll put it in my passport right next to my visa card haha! Still, I think airport security is paramount, they've gotta watch for WMDs and it doesn't matter too much if a few people here and there see I've had a hair transplant or three, what matters is a good job!

Still, I think I'll be wearing a cap! My real concern was with the TENDERNESS of the grafts at day 1 post op and putting the hat on and off...

I've had previous work- about 1500 grafts in 2 sessions (my advice stick to the coalition, listen to the senate)- and on both ocassions I 'holed up' in the hotel like butch and sundance. After a few days I couldn't handle the boredom and had to sneak off. It wasn't all bad but- the room next door there was this all girl crew from outta town staying, one nite the fat one (actually they were all pretty chunky) got drunk and snuck into my bed at about 4am, I think she was short sighted too and mistook the congealed blood on my scalp for a thumpin' head of hair, still it was dark, even she looked good!...dividends were being paid at an early stage... had to decline though, I could envision with all that exertion my little 'preciouses' just poppin' out everywhere mama...thanks anyway darlin'! where are you now?

what was I talking about? oh yeah staying in hotels...

well I've decided to ship out the next day...thanks again for the support from all of yas!

take care and good planting

yours sincerely,

Crazy Baldhead

Hey Crazy,

Keep me posted. I'm headed to BC in a couple of months to see Dr. Wong so we can compare notes. I think it's a wise move heading out the next day. From what I've seen, normally the swelling doesn't kick into high gear the first day so you should be able to travel okay.

Yes..........careful with the hat. I'm a little more nervous about it since I'm having some temple and hairline work done. Think I'm going to search for head gear and possibly experiment with a doo-rag of sorts......maybe a larger beret.......I don't know for sure??

Good luck to you,

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Hairbank ... good call on the swelling, hadn't thought of that as an issue to avoid traveling later. And since I know you are going back to Dr. Wong and you mentioned swelling, I was really concerned about swelling as thought I may have to do some business upon returning home and turned out I did. I was given Lasix after my first procedure and had no facial swelling at all and wanted the same with #2. Not sure what it was, but Dr. Wong treated me with something (that I believe was administered with the anesthetic) that he told me would eliminate any swelling and I had absolutely NONE in the donor or recipient area without taking anything additional medications afterward. FYI ... I had temple work done as well and the standard issue H & W hat worked just fine for a few days after surgery.

WranglerSD,

Hey buddy, fill me in?? I heard of something H&W was using to minimize swelling.........so it's true, eh? No swelling and Lasix was administered?? That's awesome!! I'll have to check with Mike Ferko, maybe I can find out a little more about it. Cool. icon_cool.gif

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Hey Hairbank ... it wasn't Lasix (had that elsewhere for my first HT - it also worked well), not sure what Dr. Wong used on me, but be sure you ask him about it. I got the feeling that this wasn't routinely done, but I was persistant in asking for something as I couldn't afford any swelling afterward. Whatever it was, it worked VERY well. Let me know how if you find out what the drug is and if it works out for you too.