2249 FUT grafts - Dr. True - NY

Hello everyone, thought I'd give you all an update:

I just got a haircut today, 2 clip around the sides and back....whew, does that feel better. I'm 3 weeks and 5 days post op and I've just added some 3 pictures. I have posted pictures of the side views, hairline, and top of the head, and the donor scar.

About at 3 weeks, I started shedding some of the little hairs on top of my head...unfortunately, I think some of the longer hairs are shedding too. There is still some pink on top of my head...hopefully that will fade within the next month. But I do know that I have seen some people who have kept their pinkness in their scalp for many months. Hmmm....well, we'll see. Also, I believe I have experienced some shock loss around the donor area....there is a little more hair missing around the scar when I look in the mirror. It's not bad though, I can live with it....but I do hope it grows back soon. I posted a picture, though I'm not sure it really shows the shockloss all that well. I can see it in the mirror though.

Anyway, please post comments and/or questions. I'd be happy to answer anything, or read any comments. Thanks.

Bill

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill:

I thought your latest pictures showed very good healing--your strip incision looked like it was healing well also...I could also see the increased density that your going to have once the grafts start to grow...how much input did Dr. True have on your hairline placement or was that your decision only?...all in all, I think your going to be pleased with the outcome--how could you not be, you'll have more hair!!

Mike

Thanks Mike and Jacob for your replies.

Mike,

Dr. True had all the input on the hairline. He suggested lowering the hairline oh so slightly to give me a more "handsome" hairline as he called it. I agree....the hairline he placed does look like it will blend better into the sides of my hair. He drew the initial hairline and asked what I thought. I said I thought it looked good, so he went with it. Yeah, I'm looking forward to about 6 months from now.

Jacobs,

I will be entering the dog days in about 4 days....I'll be at exactly 1 month, so I have to wait for at least 2 months to start seeing any growth. Blah! But oh how it will be worth it when the time comes. I just hope all grows in well and thick.

Bill

Ugh...starting to experience some shedding and shock loss in the recipient areas....ugh. I experienced some last time too, but it seems that the shock loss is worse this time....I guess I was warned that would happen because of the higher density this time around. Any encouragement during this time of shedding and shock loss would be helpful...and any suggestions would also be helpful. Thanks.

Bill

went thru the same thing when had my ht at end of june. Looked worse than ever when all the stubble fell out and had quite a bit of shock loss. However now it is early september and my hair is starting to look like it did when i went into the ht. Had a rough month or two but now it looks like it used too and knowing it's only going to get better now is great and know it'll all be worth it. Hang in there!

Thanks Tkerr22,

Glad to know that within two months that you looked bak to the way you did before the HT. I'm hoping that happens with me too....because this shock loss thing sucks!!!! I get paranoid...you know? Thinking uh oh....I already had an HT, and now I look worse than I did after the first HT....is it all going to grow back? I'm hoping that my hair will look much better than after the first HT not only just as good as the first HT, especially not worse! Ugh! I do hope this changes soon!

Bill

Bill:

I know how disheartening shockloss can be...does the shockloss seem to be happening with your native hair or is the previously transplanted hair being affected too?...I thought I understood that previously transplanted hair was less prone to shockloss...in any case, it generally returns as tkerr22 indicated...good luck!

Mike

Hi Mike,

I think it's a small combination of both. I don't think it's as bad as I think....but with the little bit of redness left, my hair dyed blonde due to peroxide I used (oops), it looks thinner. But I have seen my hair shed in the shower a bit....and I don't like it! I would say that it's a little bit of the native hair and the previously transplanted hair. I just hope it grows back soon....hopefully it will.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm at 7 weeks and a little discouraged. I know I definately experienced some shockloss and I look worse than I did before my second HT. It hasn't gotten worse in the past 2 weeks or so I'd say and it seems like any shedding I've experienced has minimized a lot....but it's discouraging looking at 9 month post op pictures from my first HT and seeing some awesome results and looking at myself now and looking like I didn't get one. Any words of advice and or encouragement? I'm doing Minoxodil ad night and taking Propecia 1mg every day. Thanks

Bill

Bill

thanks for posting all the pictures. Its great help to someone considering a HT to observe the progress.

I am sorry that you are feeling discouraged. Stay tough. You have multiple stresses occurring simultaneously.

The shock loss coupled with the anxious waiting period before you begin to see the fruits of your labor and perhaps a bit of mild depression that is somewhat common after surgery. ( along with any additional stressors in your private life.)

Stay positive and be patient. Look forward to spring when your scalp will be thick with foliage.

Originally posted by Bill:

Hi all,

I'm at 7 weeks and a little discouraged. I know I definately experienced some shockloss and I look worse than I did before my second HT. It hasn't gotten worse in the past 2 weeks or so I'd say and it seems like any shedding I've experienced has minimized a lot....but it's discouraging looking at 9 month post op pictures from my first HT and seeing some awesome results and looking at myself now and looking like I didn't get one. Any words of advice and or encouragement? I'm doing Minoxodil ad night and taking Propecia 1mg every day. Thanks

Bill

just wait it out dude. what else can you do, ya know??

630 FUT - 8/27/03

2200 FUT - 5/20/05

2000 FUT - 12/15/07

"i haven't been this bald since.... well... since I was born!"

Thanks guys. I appreciate it. I posted a picture of my hair in current state, and I think you'll be able to observe that it's much thinner looking than my 9 month post op picture. But, yeah, I have to wait it out. I remember my first HT, I was really upset around 6-10 weeks...and then I started to see very slight growth starting then.

Do you guys know...What are the chances that if my first HT started growing at 10 weeks that my second one would start around the same time? Any people with multipe HTs that have any thoughts on that? Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Hallelujah to the Lord...for little hairs are starting to rise up once again. I was under suspicion for the last week or so that this might be happening, but then I figured...nah, it's too early...but I have confirmed it for sure today looking in the mirror as I would say each day or every other day I'm seeing and feeling maybe a few more than the day before. NOthing picture worthy yet of course...probably not for a month or two...but I thought I'd share and keep you posted. Let the games begin!

Bill

Originally posted by Bill:

Hallelujah to the Lord...for little hairs are starting to rise up once again.

Bill

More like hallelujah to the HT surgeon icon_wink.gif Congratulations anyway - I'm glad something is happening after all the worry and discouragement you've experienced since the 2nd HT.

PB

Thanks PB. yeah, it's nice to see something happening. There is activity a brewing....though there's nothing worth posting yet. I'll probably post something in a month or so which would bring me to about 3 months or a little more. So long to go though...I'm hoping and praying for a big difference. Yes, of course, if all turns out well....I'll be so grateful to Dr. True as I was to Dr. Katz for the first HT.

Bill

Dr. True is da man

I had 1400 grafts 7 months ago and I am looking really good! Can't wait to see the final results at 1 yesr. I plan on doing another during Dec if possible. He has a great manner and is very honest and upfront on the options available.

Good luck !!

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Congrats on 7 months, Mrjb. I have to agree with your sentiments. Dr. True and Dr. Dorin both have real "straight-shooter" attitudes and are totally upfront with potential patients from the consultation all the way through post-op follow up.

Great to hear you're "popping" Bill! To tell you the truth, subbsequent procedures usually take a little more time to sprout than the first do so be patient. How is the shockloss coming?

By the way, I apologize about the "<br>"'s that pop up in the text of your initial post when you add photos. It's a glitch that I have been aware of and I am taking steps to have fixed. You can go in and manually remove them if you like.

Happy growing!

-Robert

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Thanks guys for the posts.

Mrjb,

I'd still love to see some pictures of your pre and post op...but if I am correct, you don't have photos...am I correct? If you get your hands on a digital camera, take some post op pictures and post them. I'd love to see them being a Dr. True patient myself.

Robert,

Thanks man. yeah, there is definately some popping going on....nothing significant yet....nothing worth posting in form of a pic, but I'm sure I'll post some in the next couple weeks. Sometimes in certain mirrors I am seeing obviious shadowing like 5 o'clock shadow, and brigter mirrors, I don't really see much at all...but the journey has only begun. Not bad for just under 10 weeks. I'm experiencing no more shockloss, but I don't believe any of the shockloss hairs are returning yet...unless some of the hairs that are popping are the shockloss hairs. I was explained by Dr. True that the shockloss hairs typically return behind the grafts...so the grafts should start coming up first, and then shockloss hairs that will return will come back. Dr. True seems pretty confident that the shockloss hairs will return because they were all strong healthy hairs, the ones up front were all grafted, and the ones in the middle were native but strong and healthy most likely due to Propecia. I'll post pics in a few weeks.

Oh yeah, the "

" tags. I saw them but I don't care all that much. I know those tags are supposed to be line breaks, I figured it was some glitch or whatnot....but maybe I'll remove em sometime icon_wink.gif.

Bill

Hi

OK, next time I get my camera out of my office , I 'll take some pics but I don't have any before pics to compare. What I need to do is get copies of my before pics from the doc's office. I had 1417 grafts mostly in the hairline and behind. I'm at 7 months and plan on getting another procedure in the crown and to fill in the middle area. It's sounds goofy but my feelings reflect many of the satisfied HT people out there ( I still have 5 months to see the final results). With dermatch my results are awesome..

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Hi all,

still a bit discouraged. I've seen a few hair pops, but I still have much less hair than before the second HT. I'm only 10.5 weeks...which I know is incredibly early....I know I know....but man....this is upsetting looking in the mirror.

Somebody tell me to stop being silly because it's way to early to tell. I'm just upset about all the shockloss. it would be one thing if I looked the same as I did before the first HT, but I look like I did before the first HT...which is terrible. Ugh....

No new hairs popping that I can see except for the few that started last week. Any encouragement or advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Bill

Bill

Dude, 2.5 months out is VERY early. I think growth at that time is pretty rare, especially for the 2nd HT. I'm just 12 days out so I'm just starting the waiting phase (tick tock, tick tock).

My prediction is that you'll have a real nice Holiday come December :-).

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery