graft cyte

That's a good question, sarge. I had my HT 5 weeks ago and I asked about it but my doc didn't seem to be too interested in it and doesn't prescribe it.

I used it two months ago after my transplant. My doctor suggested it but left it up to me. I don't have a transplant experience without it to compare it to but I did find it worked well to keep the area moist and seemed to speed up healing. I had shed most scabs by 5 or 6 days and all by 7 or 8 days.

It's a little pricey but I would definitely use it again.

bsouter

Dear Sarge:

I think that for most hair transplant surgeons the jury is still out regarding the efficacy of Graft-Cyte.

The studies that were done in the past were probably not the best in obtaining and analyzing data. In actuality it is very diffcult to measure hair counts and graft survivial. Additionally there is always some skepticism when the people performing the work receive monies from the companies or have an interest in the company's success.In the case of Graft Cyte I'm sure that the physicians involved tried to be as objective as possible

At the clinic where I perform surgery we use the product. I do think that it helps diminish crusting in the area and seems to enhance healing. It is unclear if a saline or other type of physiological liquid would do the same. Water might work as well for the crusting problems.

I think that patients like participating in their care and want to minimize any crusting.

Whether the Graft-Cyte really benefits the transplanted hairs is still difficult to say with certainty. I believe that it does not injure the grafts.

Today is day 7 post op for me. I used the last of my Graftcyte spray mist (4.5 oz I think) yesterday. I lost all of my scabs this morning with a prolonged shampoo and scalp massage. I had heard the Graftcyte shortens the healing from 7-9 days to 5-7 days. Well, at 7 days for me I guess you could argue either it did or didn't help. I did (either psychologically if not physically) enjoy the refreshing & moistening, and would use it again. Rick

• 8 months later...

I am on day 7 of post-op and have noticed that over the last two days, my scabs have been falling out. I am a bit conscerned because many of the scabs that fall out still have hairs in them? I am permanently loosing these transplants or is this normal?

Thanks all...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm also not sure about the graftCyte I was told by my doctor to not use any Shampoo with alcohol in it that it could damage the graft and was told to use baby Shampoo or anything without alcohol, I have been using baby Shampoo and 90% of my scabs are gone and it is 8 days from the HT. But I would love to have more Info on this subject?

Also what would be a good conditioner to use my hair is getting a little dry?

TheGig

The Shampoo

Purified Water, Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Aloe Vera Gel, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Citric Acid, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Fragrance, Prezatide Copper Acetate, Propylparaben, FD&C blue #1. May contain polysorbate 20.

The Conditioner

Purified water, cetyl alcohol, stearyl alhocol, aloe vera gel, dimethicone, linoleamidopropyl ethyl dimonium ethosulfate, dimethyl lauramine isostearate, dicaprylyl maleate, glycerin, stearalkonium chloride, acetylated lanolin, hydroxyethylcellulose, tocopheryl acetate, diazolidinyl urea, benzalkonium chloride, methylparaben, fragrance, propylparaben, prezatide copper acetate, FD&C blue #1. May contain sodium hydroxide for pH adjustment.

icon_confused.gif