HT with dermatitis

Here's a question for any HT patients:

Are there any special precautions I should take prior to a HT when I have a long standing case of Seb. Dermatitis? In my case it's something that has flared up and died down for a long while. There is nothing apparent now to the naked eye (my wife has checked) but the symptoms still recur. How difficult is it under microscopic conditions to see minor inflammed areas in the donor area to avoid, especially since there is absolutely no obvious flaking or scaling? In talking with a doctor, who developed it while in college (he must be in his 50's now), he said he still has patches of it on his scalp - so this condition never really goes away but may lie dormant and flare up from time to time due to heat, fatigue, stress - very resistant. I don't want to wait or I'll never get to finish my surgeries. I've looked upon this condition as a minor but frustrating setback. Medicated shampoos irritate more.

Any insights you can give me would really be appreciated as I'm really looking forward to my next surgery based on my awesome results so far.

[This message was edited by phl on August 31, 2003 at 07:20 AM.]

Here's a question for any HT patients:

Are there any special precautions I should take prior to a HT when I have a long standing case of Seb. Dermatitis? In my case it's something that has flared up and died down for a long while. There is nothing apparent now to the naked eye (my wife has checked) but the symptoms still recur. How difficult is it under microscopic conditions to see minor inflammed areas in the donor area to avoid, especially since there is absolutely no obvious flaking or scaling? In talking with a doctor, who developed it while in college (he must be in his 50's now), he said he still has patches of it on his scalp - so this condition never really goes away but may lie dormant and flare up from time to time due to heat, fatigue, stress - very resistant. I don't want to wait or I'll never get to finish my surgeries. I've looked upon this condition as a minor but frustrating setback. Medicated shampoos irritate more.

Any insights you can give me would really be appreciated as I'm really looking forward to my next surgery based on my awesome results so far.

[This message was edited by phl on August 31, 2003 at 07:20 AM.]

It seems that this should not hinder further surgeries and is a common condition. I just happen to have a sensitive scalp and I'm thinking drying alcohol based shampoos or other hair products are things I've had to avoid for many years.

If you search for my photos (an old one I dug up showing a before shot and one from June of this year) you'll see a remarkable difference after one procedure. I wouldn't change my choice of surgeons.

My intention this time is to avoid the pitfalls or mistakes I made as a new HT patient - no scratching of grafts, more frequent spraying with graftcyte, gentler shampooing the first week, etc. I'm sure my grafts held up somewhere in the high 90 percentile but why not give them every chance I can.

So ... anyone with a recommendation on alcohol-free sprays, etc please let me know.

I'll post new pictures in a few months of the progress that is sure to come. Anyone with a suggestion also on free websites to post pics to please let me know.

And anyone who is considering a HT for the first time - it gives you a tremendous psychological boost once you see the results.

[This message was edited by phl on August 31, 2003 at 07:23 AM.]

PHL, I also have Seb Derm and have had HTs. A procedure can actually increase the condition. My dermatitis had almost disappeared but I have had 3 procedures in the last 3 years. Now I have noticed occassional flare ups. Most dandruff shampoos now have pyrithione zinc which helps in my case. I use Pantene anti-dandruff once or twice a week. It's also a decent shampoo unlike some of the other older brands that have been around forever. Don't use it too often and also try using a couple of other shampoos in between.