Stretching

I'am 3 months post op today. Everything is feeling great, the numbness in the back is getting less noticable everyday. My scalp is feeling pretty good too. My question is this...on both sides of my head I have this stretching going on. I thought it was shock loss.. My question is this: What is the average time for it to return to normal? If I keep my hair longer ists not as noticeable, If I buzz with a #3 its noticeable..I'am not too worried (just curious) about it, it actually is THE ONLY way you can tell I have had anything done.

Anyone else experience anything like this? I can post some pics if you like...

THANKS.

3147 ish) grafts Dr. Konior

No meds.

I'am 3 months post op today. Everything is feeling great, the numbness in the back is getting less noticable everyday. My scalp is feeling pretty good too. My question is this...on both sides of my head I have this stretching going on. I thought it was shock loss.. My question is this: What is the average time for it to return to normal? If I keep my hair longer ists not as noticeable, If I buzz with a #3 its noticeable..I'am not too worried (just curious) about it, it actually is THE ONLY way you can tell I have had anything done.

Anyone else experience anything like this? I can post some pics if you like...

THANKS.

No meds.

Hey Burt,

Can you expand a little? Stretching as in scar stretching? Or just your scalp on the sides? Do you mean there's a little separation where your HT hair meets your native hair?

The scalp will stretch or "loosen up" since donor was taken out. At 3 months, I'm not sure that any more stretching will take place...........mined felt normal pretty quickly after surgery.

If you have pics of this, yes, it would be great to see them.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

"Or just your scalp on the sides?"

Yes exactly.. thanks. I wasnt quite sure how to explain it. Its on both sides.

It doesnt look so bad because my hair is not buzzed, if I go get a hair cut it will be very visible.

Thanks again.

Here a couple of pics...

HT2007.jpg

stretchingpics002.jpg

No meds.

Burt,

Ahhhh, now I get it. I've seen this before and it wasn't stretching, it was temporary shock loss. The trauma to the hairs surrounding the donor strip that was taken can sometimes cause them to temporarily "shock" out. The good news is that those hairs are in the safe zone and should come back in time.

You may want to call Dr. Konior's office to make them aware and get their input.

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Thanks for the input guys..

I have seen Dr. Konior in person, just last week. He said it's not shock loss. He explained it like a balloon. Actually he demonstrated with a rubber glove. He drew dots on the glove then stretched it, it looked just like my head icon_smile.gif

He said I was a "tight" guy..it was simply my skin stretching..not shock loss. My question was more directed towards if anyone else has experienced it, and how long until it gets back to normal. The hair isnt thinner, my scalp is stretching causing it to appear thinner.

thanks again for the replies.

No meds.

Wow! Great information, Burt. I suppose I had always assumed this was shock loss but the Dr. knows best!

I suppose either way may experience this but you should be back to normal in no time.

Hang in there,

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Burt,

That can definately happen and it is even true in my case a little bit.

But unless the pictures are deceiving, the obvious lack of hair is around the scar on the one side and not in the back (I don't know about the other side since it's not visible). The fact that the hair is thinner around the scar and not all over - it appears as shock loss. Maybe both is going on.

Bill

Sorry that happened my friend.

If its scar stretching there will be MINIMAL hairs growing back within the scarline,if any.

I know this from expierence .

Hopefully Konior is wrong and its shockloss or at least a combination. Did he warn you about the potential of this happening ,since he says your a tight guy.

What he did is took a strip a little too wide to get you the grafts you need but due to your lack of laxity you got stretchback In my opinion thats just a bad judgement call,and its not your fault

A revision will help alot if you just take out the scar next time and since it looks like you have alot of hair up there ,you may not need another procedure for quite awhile ,if ever.

Im sure Dr Konior will revise it for free plus anytime theres a revision there will be some grafts ,so he will then be able to use them where needed . Good luck

I would be it is shock loss and his scalp is a bit tight from the surgery. I experienced this tightness in HT # 1 & 2 . In number 3 I did scalp exercises prior and yeilded more grafts and had no tightness.

I doubt this is the scar stretching

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'am not so worried as I'am curious. I can deal with a thin area on the side of my head if it means I get hair on the top icon_smile.gif I can always leave it longer on the sides to conceal it... I was just curious if anyone else had experienced this, if so, how long until it was back to normal?

Thanks again everyone.

No meds.

Burt,

If it is shock loss - the shocked hairs will return in a few months. If it is due to stretching - it is permanent.

Please understand that stretching happens to EVERYONE that has hair transplant surgery. You are removing a piece of flesh and then pulling the skin together and therefore tightening it. But typically, stretching isn't that noticable unless you had an extremely thin donor to begin with.

My third surgery is a prime example of this. Dr. Hasson removed up to 3cm (I believe) of scalp on the sides of my head. Though my skin had to stretch a lot (I had the laxity) - you can see that the hair on the sides of my head is still full and doesn't look noticable.

Bill

You'll have to wait and see but it appears more to be shock loss than stretching...........look at the width of the pattern around your scar. There's no way your scar is that wide, right? so, you must have some shock that will return.

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog