Hard vs. Soft Hairline

Gorpy

John,

Joe makes a valid point.

I don't see how you think Joe is attacking anyone. He is just sharing his opinion just as Gorpy is just sharing his.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and encouraged to share it, of course, this includes you.

I do hope that you will logically debate with Joe and provide your logical reasoning of why you disagree. The disagreements and debates on this forum make for an excellent atmosphere for education. But accusatory remarks from anyone only hinders the purpose of this community.

Bill

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading this whole thread, I went and looked at my hairline in the mirror. (Dark hair on light skin.)

I originally though it looked natural but the longer I look at it the weirder it starts to look. Kinda pluggy, irregular, too "soft" in the transition, etc. I'm disappointed with it now.

. . . but I haven't had any HTs. This is my natural hairline I'm talking about.

------------------------------------------------

but I haven't had any HTs. This is my natural hairline I'm talking about.

Well that puts things into perspective!

LOL! icon_biggrin.gif

This is probably a good way to end this thread. It will hopefully keep us all as friends. icon_smile.gif

NN

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Chimin' in a bit late here...oh well

Nervous Nelly,

"Rogue hairs" - love that phrase.

All,

This is a great discussion. To me, a soft hairline is one with an irregular pattern of single-hair grafts on the leading edge, with increasing density (in terms of hairs/graft and grafts/cm2) moving into the frontal third. At this point, I think it goes without saying that single hair grouping are necessary for creating a natural hairline. But what about patients with very coarse hair? Can a SINGLE hair unit look pluggy on a patient with coarse hair? A single hair is in no way a "plug," but in patients with coarse hair we do run the risk of a "surgical" looking hairline. The hairs can be too wiry for the front row and the exit points can stand out. What to do? The lovely feathered patterns and designs that are so natural looking for most patients can be difficult to pull off for those with coarse donor hair.

There are many ways to approach this issue, each with its benefits and drawbacks:

1. Graft Selection

Grafts need to be carefully examined and identified prior to placement. What may look like a single may actually be a double with a hair in the resting phase. We should assume the elite hair restoration clinics will use high magnification to identity and/or manufacture singles for the front row. Magnification also helps in sorting the singles best suited for the leading edge. Keen knowledge of the donor zone is necessary to locate the finest hairs for the front. It should be noted, however, that hairs cycle and appear differently at different times. This may present a challenge.

2. FUE

The extraction of nape hairs (or other hairs that tend to be softer than the clusters found in the traditional strip harvest zone) is a valid solution to the coarse hair dilemma. But we have all seen people with hair loss in the nape area or recessions in the posterior hairline. Therefore, these hairs should be considered transient for some. The patients at greatest risk for loosing nape hairs are those with the potential for extensive hair loss. In other words, the patients at greatest risk tend not to be the best candidates for HT in the first place.

3. Dense Packing

Placing grafts closer together on patients with very course hair is another possibility. Indeed, the coarse hairs that may have stood out with low density can be blended away in a lush carpet of tightly packed singles. The hairline should be undulating but dense enough so as not to draw the eye to any one hair. This is not exactly the transitional zone seen in nature but, in the absence of the perfect donor source, we can rely on the art of illusion.

4. Injuring grafts

Single hair grafts can be selectively injured to create a softer look up front. Since the object of hair restoration is to create the appearance of more hair with finite donor source, this approach should be utilized sparingly.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Bill, that's classic! icon_biggrin.gif

I definitely have the best looking legs.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Gorpy vs Joe

Pre-fight rules:

1) No hitting above the hairlines.

2) No cheap shots near the donor areas.

3) Keep all hair care products in respective corners.

4) No hair gel in the eyes.

5) Fists and follicles will be flying so the Winner is declared by sending the Loser to the nearest mirror for restyling.

Nice job Bill!

NoBuzz

Yeah, and no poking me in the eye with that pointy hair in front. Gel that up a bit and it could be a lethal weapon.

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

My Photo Album

Sweet job Bill, but what about the hotties carrying the signs for each round?? Also the managers Don King and Donald Trump?

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Yeah, could you fit some of the hot H&W techs in there somewhere icon_cool.gif

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

My Photo Album

the hell with that.....I seem to remember a certain unofficial graft calculator's wife being tremendously endowed with a certain "presence" that would directly fulfill said needed "round card carrying ring girl presence". icon_wink.gif Was that cryptic enough? I don't need Gorp flyin' out here to smack me in the melon you know; gotta be cryptic.

There goes Pushing talking in code again. Dang, I wish I could figure out what he was saying.

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

My Photo Album

Pushing,

I think I may have decoded your post and I was thinking what you stated but didn't want to go there. icon_eek.gif

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Yeah, could you fit some of the hot H&W techs in there somewhere

Good point...but I don't have pictures of none of them. Maybe next time I'll request a picture of me with the whole group of them. We'll squeeze Joe in there somewhere too :P

the hell with that.....I seem to remember a certain unofficial graft calculator's wife being tremendously endowed with a certain "presence" that would directly fulfill said needed "round card carrying ring girl presence". Was that cryptic enough? I don't need Gorp flyin' out here to smack me in the melon you know; gotta be cryptic.

LOL...I remember that thread! LOL

Bill