Free Speech and Accountability on this Forum

• Administrators

During the past several years this community has fought several lawsuits that were brought by physicians who were upset with comments made on this forum.

Rather than compromise, we have fought these lawsuits to preserve the integrity of our community. These legal battles have been expensive. Last year alone the Hair Transplant Network community paid over $100,000 in legal fees to preserve the right of forum members to post their genuine opinions and experiences.

The freedom of expression that we all enjoy on this forum is far from free. But the integrity of this forum and the need to hold physicians accountable for their results and actions is worth the price. We fully expect to continue to defend this hard fought for freedom for all our forum members no matter what the price.

Ultimately we want our forum to be free and open as well as fair and just to all participants both patients and physicians. Therefore just as we expect physicians to be held responsible for their actions we expect those who post to be responsible for their actions.

'Free Speech' is only protected by the law when it is free from intentionally malicious and false statements. Thus if we find that a post or poster is not genuine we reserve the right to remove such posts.

However, we will continue to vigorously defend the right of this community to host comments the good, the bad and the ugly about any and all subjects and clinics (recommended or not) when the poster/post is genuine.

Over the past ten years this community and its members have helped revolutionize the hair transplant profession. We have demanded the very best in techniques and results and many leading physicians have risen to the challenge and provided them.

At the very heart of these advances has been public ACCOUNTABILITY. The members of this forum community have held the hair restoration profession and the publishers of this community accountable for their actions. Thus physicians operate knowing that today's patients may be tomorrow's poster. We also carefully choose the physicians we recommend based on input from this patient based community knowing that our decision will be publicly scrutinized.

It's free speech on this forum that makes this accountability possible. That is why free speech is essential and why we will continue to pay the price needed to defend it.

Thanks to all the members of this forum for being the heart and soul of this community. We encourage you to post your thoughts and suggestions on the issue below.

Pat

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

• 4 years later...

Summed up beautifully in these lines:

"Ultimately we want our forum to be free and open as well as fair and just to all participants both patients and physicians. Therefore just as we expect physicians to be held responsible for their actions we expect those who post to be responsible for their actions."

Keep the RESPECT alive.

• 8 months later...
Summed up beautifully in these lines:

"Ultimately we want our forum to be free and open as well as fair and just to all participants both patients and physicians. Therefore just as we expect physicians to be held responsible for their actions we expect those who post to be responsible for their actions."

Keep the RESPECT alive.

i am agree as well, we want our forum to be free :)

• 2 years later...
Guest hellengeek

i dont believe on surgical hair replacement ... i think natural way of hair regrowing is best

Pat,

When I read your post, two thoughts hit me right away. The first is that I joined this forum and read it daily and there is no charge. Immediately after I felt some actual fear that this forum could disappear.

Thank you for this website. I feel very grateful that it is here.

• 1 year later...

I feel the more Free Speech exists, the better it is for forums, and, business entities in general.  Public Domain = Public Posting.  If anything is private, then some forums may become less active and no one wants that.  The more open ground and pound free speech- the more userbase on that forum.  If any forum conceals or deletes posts, threads or etc, then that does serious damage overall.  That’s why some users are active across most forums, then you see that same user less active on another forum if any hint of lack of transparency is noted.  Then you see users with 0 posts pop up to stimulate activity.  Not saying it happens here but some folks may see users that post once and disappear across the web.  It is all about being transparent.  

Also, some forums may lie or stretch the truth for a doc and discount the patients concerns.  Sometimes, continuous monetary support makes things happen.  It probably happens in some places.  That situation is also bad and disheartens real users.  Everyone needs to make a buck, but doing it ethically is the right way forward.  Transparency and Free Speech is key.  Taking no sides is key too if the docs and their patients want to duke it out.  If the doc knows who it is, then let it take its course.  If it is a fake competitor or user, then obviously it can be stopped.  If it is a real patient, sometimes there are things in the background that no one is fully aware of.  It would be a catastrophic mistake to choose a side if that’s the case.  I know some folks in those situations across the web.  There are agencies that take note and protect such folks and have.  

Free Speech=Transparency

• 11 months later...

all proven patients should be able to say whatever their opinion is, if its bad then its bad,

the only things that need to be removed are shills stating X surgeon is good/bad..

It is all about helping people and provide a platform for all to share their experience, positive or negative, and to hold the professionals accountable for all they do.  If we get to help one person, the whole thing is worth it.

I feel very fortunate to be part of the group and I am humbled by the daily input from all members.  Tons of hours of experience are shared daily. Truly awesome.

• 4 weeks later...