my plan

jonn

hi guys im 26 my hairline is receding at the temples and on the top of my head the hair is thinning aswell.

i am very worried about side effects from propecia. at the moment though i can see no other option.

so i am thinking i will take one tablet every three days (i read someone said it stays in your bloodstream for this period) in order to minimise any side effects it may cause.

i have some nizoral which i am going to use twice a week and i will be vastly increasing my green veg intake as i believe it does have anti dht effects also.

please will you advise me on any other shampoos or supplements i can use to help. and comment on my once every 3 days for propecia.

my current thinking is that if i can slow it down somewhat then i may have a a ht in 18 - 24 months. then i am hoping that any further loss may be adressed in the future by new inovations ie hair multiplication.

any comments will be greatly recieved thankyou.

(on a side note id just like to say that im sick of reading in newspapers re hairloss that its ok for guys to deal with but its worse for women. that makes me angry) ... and also thank goodness for this website it is a real help

hi guys im 26 my hairline is receding at the temples and on the top of my head the hair is thinning aswell.

i am very worried about side effects from propecia. at the moment though i can see no other option.

so i am thinking i will take one tablet every three days (i read someone said it stays in your bloodstream for this period) in order to minimise any side effects it may cause.

i have some nizoral which i am going to use twice a week and i will be vastly increasing my green veg intake as i believe it does have anti dht effects also.

please will you advise me on any other shampoos or supplements i can use to help. and comment on my once every 3 days for propecia.

my current thinking is that if i can slow it down somewhat then i may have a a ht in 18 - 24 months. then i am hoping that any further loss may be adressed in the future by new inovations ie hair multiplication.

any comments will be greatly recieved thankyou.

(on a side note id just like to say that im sick of reading in newspapers re hairloss that its ok for guys to deal with but its worse for women. that makes me angry) ... and also thank goodness for this website it is a real help

John,

Sounds like you've developed a good plan of attack to help keep your existing hair............you may even regrow some. With Propecia, you might try the Proscar (5mg) variety and cut it into 4ths for a 1.25mg dosage. I was advised by Dr. Wong that Propecia/Proscar (finasteride) actively blocks DHT for 72 hours so every other day would be okay. I'm not sure I'd stretch it to every 3 days. You might want to get advice from a HT surgeon or dermatologist on this. I've been on this Propecia (I use the Proscar) regimen approaching 3 months and have noticed no side effects.

You may want to try adding Nioxin scalp cleanser and hair conditioner to your regimen. I alternate the shampoo with Nizoral every other day. Nioxin does claim to have "surface DHT" blocking abilities though I'm a little skeptical. My goal is to provide optimal growth conditions for MPB hair strengthened by Propecia and any regrowth which may occur.

I would encourage you to do more research and give your proposed regimen a try. It sounds as if you may be catching your loss early enough that, if you're a good Propecia responder, you could hold off having a HT altogether.............I hope so for your sake.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Hi

I've been on Propecia for around 7 years or so without any side effects. Although everyone's different I think it's quite safe as patients were taking Finasteride for years prior for prostate problems

Good luck

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Jonn,

Your situation sounds a lot like mine. I am also 26, receeding at the temples, thinning a little generally, and very concerned about it. I have really resisted beginning a Propecia regimen, due in part to a bad experience I had with Avodart (it caused a lot of shedding).

However, I feel helpless sitting here and doing nothing to block DHT. Shampoo, vitamins, lotions, etc. are all nice in that they give you the sense you are fighting back, but the DHT issue will always need to be addressed ultimately.

I am sure one of your primary concerns is losing more hair at the hairline in the hopes you *might* regrow hair in the crown/vertex. That has been my primary issue in waiting to start meds. What I have decided to do is go for a hair transplant with Doc Shapiro in Minneapolis, and at that time begin Propecia. As everything on my hairline will be in a state of flux anyway, I don't think any shedding will bother me. Then, at the end of the next year, I will hopefully have a nice head of hair from the combined effects of the HT and the Propecia. We'll see.

Current Regimen:

Nizoral 1% (3x weekly)

EMU Oil (nightly application)

MSM (3,000mg daily)

Viviscal (2x daily)

Daily Multivitamin

thanks very much for your replies.

Bballtc i have been researching for over a year now (in general terms re hair loss). in relation to Ht though i am also most keen at the moment on Dr Shapiro, i am under the impression that he is one of the best. its strange i dont really know why i seem to favour him over anyone else ?

can anyone say if they believe sexual side effects (if they occur) will go away as they claim or has anyone had permenant damage done?

i have a 6 month supply but i am very worried about starting on it due to possible side effects (i know im not the only one) what do you advise me to do guys? i dont wanna cause two problems when at the moment i only have one.

Doc Shapiro is probably a great choice, jonn. I also did a good deal of research, and came to the conclusion that he is the way to go. My ultimate conclusion was based on a number of factors. For one thing, the praise for Shapiro on this board is resounding. Also, I had a consultation with him and found him to be warm and seemingly honest. Although I wanted a very low hairline, he insisted that we go higher and fill down over time if my hair loss remained at bay.

As others here have mentioned, beware of those who promise to do whatever the patient wants. it is a doctor's responsibility to do what's right, not what's popular. Another factor I weighed was Shapiro's stature in the transplant community, and his lecturing and publishing record.

As for the meds, I can tell you that during the very beginning of taking Avodart (dut), I did notice a very slight decline in libido. Actually, it was less a decline in libido than in the quality of my erections. However, this disappeared after going off the drug. Interesting point---dut is supposed to remain in one's system for quite some time (more than 4 months in some cases), but my symptoms went away almost immediately. Personally, I am much less concerned with sides and very concerned with accelerated loss at hairline due to shedding. That can be very hard to deal with, especially in your mid-20's.

Current Regimen:

Nizoral 1% (3x weekly)

MSM (3,000mg daily)

Viviscal (2x daily)

Daily Multivitamin

cheers buddy i dont know whether to start propecia now or not. whether to leave it a while have a ht and start propecia at the same time?

i was looking at some pics of a very famous movie star who lost a lot of hair from temples then at the front. clearly had a ht and it looks amazing. so i feel like its a gamble either way. if i start on propecia now i may have side effects and i may shed.

or i leave it a while longer and get a ht then start propecia based on the idea that the transplanted hair wont shed in reaction to the drug?

its so hard to know which way to go. especially when ive just started a new relationship and i neither want to start sheding hair or have problems with sex. like most of us i feel stuck between a rock and a hard place. sometimes it feels like the more i read the more i get confused.

I'm kinda in the same boat as you guys, also currently 26 in age. From reading what you guys mentioned in the earlier posts, some people may see more shedding in the frontal/temples area, but see improvement in the crown area when going on Propecia? I am kinda taking the same plan as you Jonn, thinking about contemplating on starting propecia, but will most likely be getting my HT next year around this time.

jonn and Scooping,

You guys sound like you are very much in my position. And I know how stressful it can be. As a matter of fact, jonn, I just got into a serious relationship a month and a half ago. And this girl is awesome and I really don't want to mess it up. I can tell you what my thought process was, and see if this makes sense to you (which it does to me).

Starting propecia now WILL NOT grow back hair anytime soon. That is just a fact. I had to realize that if I started propecia today, I won't be seeing new growth for many months (likely a year). Generally speaking, people go through a period of shedding, which although it varies by person, can last for a few months. Therefore, if you are comfortable enough with your appearance and don't want the added stress of a shed while beginning the relationship with your girl, I would consider waiting. The downside of waiting is that eventually you will have to go through the shedding period at some point, so maybe earlier is better. But in my case, I don't want the added stress of losing hair at the temples while trying to get this girl on the hook, you know? Avodart really thinned out my hair when I went on it, and caused a lot of shedding at the hairline. I couldn't deal with that during the summer when I will be outside with my girlfriend.

So what I decided to do was this. I am wrapping up my current job at the end of June, and I am taking July off. I will be getting my tranplant in July. I am putting most/all of my grafts in the hairline at this time, and I imagine that I could experience a little shock loss (lose some surrounding hair). I plan on starting Propecia at the same time. That way, if I experience some shedding of my non-transplanted hair, I won't sweat it as much because for all I know it was part of the transplant working (the transplanted hairs shed after surgery, which is normal). That way, I can keep optimistic that after one year, I should be seeing results from both the transplant and the propecia. As for the propecia, if I have adverse reaction to it, I will just discontinue use (it stays in your system only a short period).

Finally (sorry for how long this is!), I plan on keeping my hair in front a little longer, so hopefully my girl won't notice anything to dramatic. I will be "traveling" about two weeks after surgery, and then wear a hat when I can.

Current Regimen:

Nizoral 1% (3x weekly)

MSM (3,000mg daily)

Viviscal (2x daily)

Daily Multivitamin