Is signing up with MHR (rest of website removed) the only way to possibly get a free transplant?

I read that you can sign up with them to possibly win a free transplant, but I also read a story about some guy that got a free transplant as well from Dr. Feller? Do some of these guys actually offer free transplants to poor balding college kids like me out of the goodness of their own hearts? By the way, does anyone know if these free transplants from MHR are terrible in quality?

Is signing up with MHR (rest of website removed) the only way to possibly get a free transplant?

Baldingbum,

I have tried the link which isn't up nor do I see any evidence of it being an actual live site at any other (recent) time. Sometimes people post links and offers/competitions just to push up the price of the domain name, so it looks a little suspicious.

Have you actually seen the offer/competition and can you link to the actual page please?

Bosley and MHR and are both widely considered to be "hair mills" that are managed more like corporations than proper medical clinics. I've also read that they're owned by the same parent company.

I suspect these free transplants (if they actually exist) are just another way to promote/advertise their services. These places are generally strong on marketing, but inconsistent at best when it comes to producing quality results.

Originally posted by Maxxy:

Baldingbum,

I have tried the link which isn't up nor do I see any evidence of it being an actual live site at any other (recent) time. Sometimes people post links and offers/competitions just to push up the price of the domain name, so it looks a little suspicious.

Have you actually seen the offer/competition and can you link to the actual page please?

I found this on another site:

Transplant Offer

If you have been considering a hair transplant but have been held back by the cost, MHR has an offer for a transplant that is good for $5,000 or 1,000 hair grafts. Winners are chosen at random through drawings.

On the home page you will need to sign up for the free DVD. This consists of entering your name, age, address and telephone number. Submit the information and you will be taken to a new page. This will automatically enter you into the drawing for the free hair transplant.

It's from ehow.com, with a link to the Medical Hair Restoration sign up page.

-------

All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my My Hair Loss Website

Dr Feller recently did a 'pro bono' case, but it was a pretty intensive reconstruction due to prior sub-par results. I'm not entirely sure how many surgeons do this, or how often. My best guess would be to start saving a little bit each month now and you'll have the funds for a world class transplant fairly soon (hopefully haha). You could also always consult with a doc now, and talk about a long term treatment plan (ie meds now, especially because if you're still in college, you're probably a bit young for a HT at the moment, and then an HT later). Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Also, like the other posters have mentioned, I'd personally be a bit wary of a free HT offer ... if things sound too good to be true, you know!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

The only clinic to ever perform a truly pro bono, "free" transplant in the sense that I think you mean is SMG, on poster Bullinut. He doesn't post much on this forum, but his first (free) HT has just been growing in, and he has plans for a subsequent transplant.

I believe SMG fronted a majority (if not all?) of the cost, I still have a remembrance that he also made an attempt to be aided in part by donations from actual forum members.

You should know that Bullinut was a repair case in dire, dire need of a world-class restoration. This is essentially the crux -- along with his charming and warm personality -- that effectively got him the freebies.

Aside from unusual repair cases and minor sessions on people who already have a very established history with a clinic, I'm not sure the "free" HT you desire is desireable, let alone feasible.

Though, you might want to consider doctors who use people as "examples" at conventions such as the ISHRS.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Baldingbum,

It may not have been your intent, but putting a web address in a topic appears like you are attempting to promote the website. As a result, I've removed the URL from the topic and from the discussion. It's just as easy to ask if MHR is offering the possibility of a free hair transplant without linking to it. Please read over our terms of service to become familiar with our rules.

Thanks for understanding,

Bill