Best time to take Finasteride

Barca

I have changed the way I was taking it because in a consult with a coalition surgeon before my recent HT he found some miniaturization in the mid scalp area. Now I take it first thing after I wake up with a large glass of room temperature water. I don't have any food until at least 30 minutes to one hour later. I noticed an improvement after about one month and now I see no more miniaturization. I think it helped but I can't be completely sure. I keep following this schedule.

Barca,

Despite HK500's experience (not that I'm invalidating it), you should be able to take it whenever, just be consistent. Personally, I take it in the morning, first thing after I wake up.

HK500,

How were you taking it before? What do you attribute to the new success of the way you take it now? I'd be curious to hear doctor imput on this too.

Bill

It has always been said that taking medications first thing in the morning does give them a better chance of getting full effect because you have less food in system. Therefore there is possibly better absorption rate.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

I'll probably never know for sure if taking it on an empty stomach is what made the difference but it worked for me so I keep doing it. Before that, I used to take it before bedtime and after dinner.

As NN was saying, I based this choice on the logic that on an empty digestive sytem, as I am in the morning when I get up, I am probably getting better absorbtion and longer lasting effects, rather than the drug being more diluted after the dinner food and the more tired evening metabolism.

Well well, I've never heard of these "empty stomach" and "absorption rate" stories, but if it seems to work for you guys, why not.

Scientific studies show that DHT levels reach a peak when you're sleeping, and that's the reason why I take finasteride before I turn off the light at night.

Another factor to consider: allow your body to "take a break" from your finasteride intake, so that it doesn't get used to the drug, and hence become less sensitive to it. The effects of finasteride tend to increase during the first 5 years, then level, then slightly decrease. In order to make them last longer, some people here stop taking it for one or two weeks every 6 months. I prefer to take it in a more irregular manner: normally every other day, but sometimes no pill for 4 days, then one every day, then every other day again.

3045 FUs with Dr Victor Hasson on 8 June 2004

1836 FUs with Dr Jeffrey Epstein on 2 March 2006

Regimen: 1.25mg Proscar every other day

This is a fact for so many meds so I don't see why propecia would be any different. Yes, it is true that DHT levels are higher while sleeping so there is a chance that taking at night is more effective as long as it is absorbed quickly. I guess if someone can show me a definitive study one way or the other, than I have to go with best hypothesis.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

There is very simple and logical answer to the question why you want to take finasteride in the morning. According to Dr. Rassman at baldingblog.com, the testosterone level peaks at 7AM. Thus, it is logical to take finasteride first thing in the morning.

• 2 years later...

i have been taking propecia in conjunction with vitamin B capsules every morning and have found really positive results. I am a little concerned, however, by an earlier post that suggests that these benefits are going to start diminishing after five years. is that true? Can anyone comment?

Scientific studies show that DHT levels reach a peak when you're sleeping, and that's the reason why I take finasteride before I turn off the light at night.

I agree with this. I take finasteride at night.

Another factor to consider: allow your body to "take a break" from your finasteride intake, so that it doesn't get used to the drug, and hence become less sensitive to it. The effects of finasteride tend to increase during the first 5 years, then level, then slightly decrease. In order to make them last longer, some people here stop taking it for one or two weeks every 6 months. I prefer to take it in a more irregular manner: normally every other day, but sometimes no pill for 4 days, then one every day, then every other day again.

This is something, I 've never heard of.

take care...

I am a little concerned, however, by an earlier post that suggests that these benefits are going to start diminishing after five years. is that true? Can anyone comment?

Condor,

It varies and is dependent on each persons particular physiology.

For some it is 2 years, for some 5 years, for some 10 years.

What is for certain, is that MPB continues to advance, irrespective of finasteride intervention.

take care...