does HT have any effect on the existing hair follicles nearby the HT site?

I have a question for one of the doctors here. I don't really have a distinct bald spot. I do have a receding hair line and I'm losing hair from within at a great speed. I've been on Rogaine for about a year and propecia for 2 months now. Neither has helped and it seems that the hairloss has actually accelerated. Friends are noticing my hairloss now and I was wondering if transplant is recommended and what its effects would be on the follicles of the existing hair around the transplant area. Also I wanted to know if I should continue using rogaine and propecia. One other thing I should mention is that I also have sebborea dermatitis(on/off) since the age of 15. I'm 29 yo and haven't had a HT yet. Any response is appreciated.

I have a question for one of the doctors here. I don't really have a distinct bald spot. I do have a receding hair line and I'm losing hair from within at a great speed. I've been on Rogaine for about a year and propecia for 2 months now. Neither has helped and it seems that the hairloss has actually accelerated. Friends are noticing my hairloss now and I was wondering if transplant is recommended and what its effects would be on the follicles of the existing hair around the transplant area. Also I wanted to know if I should continue using rogaine and propecia. One other thing I should mention is that I also have sebborea dermatitis(on/off) since the age of 15. I'm 29 yo and haven't had a HT yet. Any response is appreciated.

• Administrators

Bruce,

You bring up a valid question. What you refer to - exiting hair in recipient area being affected - is called "shock fallout". There are several good posts on this site on this subject under the forum "Medical and Aesthetic Issues - Shock fallout". I will also copy your post to the "ask a doctor . . . " to get a surgeons opinion.

Thanks for the good question - Pat - editor

Thanks for reading this post. But it's your posts that make this discussion group real and vital. Please jump into the discussion. Just pick a topic and click the reply button.

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Hi Bruce, is it possible that you are just experiencing a shed phase? Finasteride, and to a lesser extent minoxidil is almost as famous for the shed cycles as the improved growth. There's quite a bit of info on these two drugs on the Web. I'm no doctor but if I were you I'd stay on the Propecia at least 4 more months, my hunch is that things will stabilize for you. (And just in case they don't, you came to the right place!)