11 month update: Dr. Hasson 10/19/2006 - 3701 Grafts

Hi all

Yes, this is why i can't consider shaving my head for the procedure.. Bill, what do you do professionally that allows you such flexibility of your hairstyle or lack of it ( haha) ..

This topic is a make or break for me ..The bottom line is I need to be able to go back to work within 10 days and be able to mask the procdure with Dermatch one way or the other. This is what I have done previously for both HT's with no prob.. I wrote to H & W to see if this was acceptable.. I could probably do guard number 2 on the the top to make it look uniform upon return..

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi JOBI,

Well, I work in an office, but we are pretty free to wear what we want for the most part...including hats....which works perfectly for me. But even if I couldn't, I'd go through it all again anyway and just sport a 1 clip buzz cut all the way around. People would notice and say something for a day and I'd just say I got tired of dealing with it and leave it at that. Some people would notice the scar but very few people would comment. If they did and asked about it, I'd just say it's personal and nobody will ask question. It really depends on how self conscious you are/will be for the short term. Shaving the head is just as acceptable as using dermatch to mask the procedure. 10 days is 10 days...all the scabs will be gone by then. The only thing that will be noticed is the scar, at least somewhat....and that might not even be that noticable. It depends for sure.

Bill

Day 6 Update:

Shaved head last night to a 1 clip to even it out. It's not exactly fair because techincally Dr. Hasson used a 0 clip on top of my head for the recipient area...so it doesn't quite match...but in time, the match will be better. Still some scabs remaining but it seems to be healing up nicely. Some irritation in the donor area....sides and back still feel tight as expected. There's only been minor swelling so far the last few days. Today it's moved down a little toward my eyes...but nothing compared to the last surgery. Perhaps this is because they needed less anesthetic for this surgery? More to come

Bill

Looks better Bill

The Hairline is going to be great and the density is there!

Happy growing...

JB

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Thanks dude. I've been comparing my immediately post op results with other people's immediately post op results to compare, hoping to see what I might look like in about 6 months. Seems like I'm comparable in density to a few people I've checked out where I think their hair looks great! So here's hoping icon_wink.gif

Bill

Bill

Trust me.. 3701 will not go unnoticed.. There is going to be a signifcant difference. That is more than i had in both of my HT's and I had a big difference. Just think, you had 3700 & previous work done..

It's going to look tremendous

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Bill,

Your hairline is going to be very nice and thick! Plus, that 'whirl' never ceases to impress me. There is so much attention to detail in this area. I can only imagine that there is but a handful of doctors that can do this very successfullly!

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog

Bill,

Congrats on the HT with Hasson. Couple of questions.

1. What is your post op care?

-What are you putting on/not putting on your scalp?

-What are you putting on/not putting on the scar?

-Are you icing your forehead to bring down the swelling?

-What are H&W's instructions for you?

2. How was the flight home? What kind of cap/hat did you wear?

3. How are you keeping from rubbing your head when you sleep?

I think I will continue to pester everyone who has had a HT with questions, so I apologize if you have answered them earlier.

Again congrats and we all look forward to tracking your progress...and hopefully you are enjoying your time away from work!!

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

Hey John_in_NC,

Are you saying that some of my pictures don't look natural or that some of the temple work you've seen in the past didn't look natural? I'm just looking for clarification. But yes, I'm glad I didn't need temple work done.

Eman,

Wow...good questions...let me see if I can answer them:

1. Post Op care is relatively general...let me answer your questions specifically to see if that will help:

- I'm using the shampoo they gave me to wash my hair, both recipient and donor which doesn't contain a lot of chemicals most shampools and conditioners have...supposed to be gentler on the scalp. The only other thing I'm using on top of my head and the scar is Aloe for a cool soothing affect. It has significantly reduced itch and irritation.

- See above for scar question

- Nope...no ice. Hasson and Wong suggests that you do NOT ice your forehead because it's a waste of time. The swelling comes from the fluid being injected into your scalp...so ice won't help. Ironically, I have had more grafts than any other surgery so far, and am swelling less than my last surgery. There is still some swelling, but not as bad. I DID ice on the previous surgery...and they also injected me with more anesthetic last time

- Well, instructions are kind of drawn out...but basically...for post op....wash your hair every day (specific instructions I'll leave out here for now unless you want them) and do NOT bump your head. And take your meds as instructed basically...which I've been out of meds since Day 3 or 4 post op.

2. Flight home was fine...it was a long flight so it made me a bit irritable especially when my last flight was delayed. However, it wasn't delayed long and arrived earlier than expected...so that is good icon_smile.gif. I was given a plain blue light fitting hat and a bandana from Hasson and Wong. I chose the hat on the way home...but the last couple times I went out, I wore the bandana because air still gets through whereas the hat seems more restrictive.

3. I'm not sure honestly...if I'm sleeping I guess I can't guarantee I'm not rubbing my head...but every morning I wake up and there hasn't been a problem. In other words, no bleeding in recipient or donor area and all grafts in tact. I sleep on my stomach with my pillow in a little bit of a ball not to high up so that the top of my head isn't being touched by the pillow. Seems to be working for me. I guess I'm an expert now after doing this 2 more times.

Don't worry man...it's not a pester. One reason I'm here is to share my experience and help others seeking answers. If you have any more questions, let me know.

Thanks,

Bill

Oh and I also wanted to point out....that I am taking Propecia and have been for 2 years, but have started taking MSM also. I will only take this for the first 5 months or so...but I'm doing it because it might speed up hair growth. Dr. Hasson said if I was going to try anything, that this would be worth the try...but everything else for post op stuff is just a waste of money...because everything will heal naturally anyway.

Bill

>> Are you saying that some of my pictures don't look natural or that some of the temple work you've seen in the past didn't look natural? I'm just looking for clarification. But yes, I'm glad I didn't need temple work done.

NOT you. I saw a few fully grown ones on another site, and didn't strike to me as natural at all. Maybe because I knew they had HT, maybe because they weren't natural...who knows. And I don't mean the temples as in those by the hairline, I mean the part that's usually an inch or so above the eyebrows; I think they are called temple points.

I was considering a few grafts thee, but now I'll leave them as they are since you can't hide them if they are satisfactory.

Hey John_in_Nc,

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, you are right, they are called temple points. I haven't seen the unnatural ones you are talking about...but I have seen work from Dr. Hasson among other docs doing temple work and it turned out very nicely I thought. Do some more research on it...if you need the work done, it might be worth comparing a number of results before you decide if it looks natural enough.

Bill

Added more pictures and a Day 9 Update: Here is the update copied from the main section. Go to the album to see the photos:

Day 9 Update:

Not much new to report. I think I'll be taking out the staples on Sunday or Monday...but we'll see. Things seem to be healing nicely. Recipient area is experiencing some dry skin which all has been coming off when massaging in circle on the top of my head in the shower. I've been adding Aloe to my recipient and donor area (only occasionally on the donor) to soothe the skin....which has been working tremendously. Reshaved the sides and back to a 1 clip...top has yet to catch up. I don't think I'll go any shorter than a 1 clip though. Other than that, still taking Propecia and MSM. The last few days I've actually showered twice a day trying to gently remove the remaining scabs. Seems to be working. No blood though some hair shafts have been in the dead skin...and as I've been told, this is perfectly normal! This is truly the best I've looked 9 days post op!

Bill

Bill:

Thanks for your updates...man, am I jealous--your hairline & crown look tremendous...you're definitely going to have a great head of hair in a few short months...it's impressive to me at this stage, believe it or not...the effort your putting forth, with your posts/pictures, are a great help to everyone & it's much appreciated...best of luck & continued good healing!

Mike

Mike,

Thank you for the compliments my friend. I'm glad my pictures and posting of my experience is helping people...that's what I want to do. I've been around the block a few times at this point, so I feel I can use my experience and expertise to help others in their journey. If I can help people make a wiser decision, I want to do it. I'm pretty impressed so far with this particular experience. I hope and pray that the results 6-12 months from now are pretty amazing!

Bill

Day 11 Update:

93 Staples removed! That's GOT to be some kind of record!!! Let's be honest...removing staples isn't a walk in the park. Some were ok...some hurt like a b#$%^. Some didn't bleed at all...some bled more than I thought it should. Either way...it's over, and my scar feels GREAT. It doesn't itch anymore like it was the last 3 or 4 days. See the pictures in the album section of the scar and the staples. I grouped the staples in groups of 10. That's a lot of staples!

Other than that, still experiencing some dry skin flaking off on the top of my head....most of which I get off after I get out of the shower. The water and shampoo loosens the skin and while my hair/head is still wet, I'll use my fingers and run them in circles over my head and watch the dead skin flake off. So far, only a few of the hairs have fallen out...most are still holding on strong...but I will expect them to go bye bye over the next few weeks. That's the depressing part of the HT and then into the doldrums I go, most likely expecting shock loss to happen like it did the last 2 surgeries. Eesh! If all goes as the last 2, by about 5-8 weeks I'll start experiencing nasty shockloss, and by about week 10-12 I'll start to experience ever so slight growth.

Bill,

Judging by your shaved look that's going to look nice-n-thick when it comes in. I'll be anxious to see your results.

Just to show how things vary, my staples were probably the easiest part of the process with little pain and only 1 bleeder...........course I only had in the 70's somewhere, 93........sheesh!!

Your scar looks nice and will likely heal well. Best of luck to you for fast growth. At least you know the drill and what you can count on.

Keep posting the updates! I'm planning to post my 9 month update here in a couple of weeks so let me know what you think!

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Hairbank,

Thanks man for your encouragement. I can't wait to see what I look like in 8 months. I'm actually back to work right now, back in the office and have only shared with my boss what I did. Everyone else has seen me with a hat so far, but I may begin to take it off slowly so they can see my shaved head look. The only problem right now is the scar is very obvious, especially with the staple holes. I think I'll wait a few days and then expose the world to my shaved head. Ha!

Yes, I do know what to expect...I'm not looking forward to the next few weeks and then few months after that when shockloss will most likely hit me. But I'm hoping to stick witih the trend that I've been in...that about 3 months my hair will start to grow and by about 5-6 months, things are typically looking pretty good.

I look forward to seeing your pics in the next couple weeks hairbank! Keep me posted!

Bill

Bill:

Glad your over the staple removal--that can't be a pleasant experience...the last group of pictures really shows the great density that your going to have...you buzz cut appearance is not indicative of someone who has a thinning scalp--it's truly an amazing job--congrats!

Mike

Thanks Mike,

I think the top view of the buzz cut shows I'm still thin up there....but it should yield good results when all is said and done. I'm still experiencing some tenderness in the donor area...there is a part of me concerned that I removed the staples too soon (on the 10th day). But again, sporting a 1 clip shortly after an HT with a red scar, some donor loss, and staple marks do tend to exaggerate the scar. Right now it just looks wider than I think it should be. But I've also never had a tricho scar before...so all I can really do is give it time.

Also...a question for anyone. If you look at the full top pictures, you'll see there are a number of black dots on top of my head where the hairs have not grown. I'm guessing these are existing hairs that were shaved down before the HT and because of the trauma to the scalp, simply didn't grow back? If anyone knows or has experience there, I'd appreciate it. I have never shaved the recipient area before for an HT so I'm not sure. Thanks.

Bill