Sharing our experiences and Surgeon reviews

• Administrators

Welcome to our forum - Hair Restoration Clinics - where you can share your frank opinions with others about the quality of work by various physicians.

To search for posts about a particular surgeons, click on the "Search" function at the top of this page or on the grid menu on a mobile device and enter the surgeons last name. You will then get all the posts regarding this particular surgeon over the past 15 plus years.

The field of hair transplant surgery is largely unregulated (i.e. buyer beware). But if we put our collective bald or formerly bald heads together we can help each other find our way into the hands of those surgeons who truly do great hair transplant work.

So please share your experiences and exercise your right to free speach and name names.

I've done my best to bring together the names, photos, and info about some of the very best hair transplant surgeons at the Hair Loss Learning Center and the Hair Transplant Network.

But the physicians recommended are not a definitive list. No one person can possibly have all the answers about who is the best in all states and all countries.

So help me and help others find the best and avoid the worst by sharing your informed opinions regarding hair transplant surgeons and clinics.

Thank you - Pat editor and "Recovered Bald Guy"

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

• 4 years later...

Hello all- I wanted to thank everyone for their valuable input. I am currently interviewing different surgens and plan on getting my first 2000-2400 graphs in Dec.

I had a couple questions I hope someone can help with:

1. Does any one have any feedback about Dr. Meshkin in Beverly Hills/ Newport? He is on the list of good surgens in CA. but I havent heard anything about him on this site.

2. What about Dr. Elliott in CA?

3. I also have my pic's into Dr. Epstein and Dr. Shapiro and think I will go with one of them- but it would be so much more conveinent to go with Meshkin as I live less than an hour from his office.

Any advice?

Thanks guys-

Welcome to the forums, Git R Done.

I'll try to answer your questions as best as possible.

1) You can search the forums for posts made by previous patients by using the keyword search under the "Find" tab. Besure to uncheck the tab that limits your search to one forum.

2) Same as #1.

3) No matter what physician you choose, don't let geographic preference sway your decision. The cost of a flight and hotel room are relatively small compared to the peace of mind that you get for going with a physician that you feel truly comfortable with.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

• 4 months later...

Dr. Elliot performed 3 surgeries on me from the age of 18-23 and the results are not good. I was first turned away by Bosley, they said I was too young, I then went to Dr. Elliot and he quickly promised great things and went on to take 3000 grafts, thousands of dollars, and gave me a very low hairline that I know I won't have enough donor hair to maintain as my hair loss continues. I'd stay far, far away from Dr. Elliot. Very poor experience and did not even come close to being up front with be about the possible ramifications.

• Administrators

Sure34,

I'm very sorry to hear about your experience. Given the description of your treatment, such treatment is not acceptable.

I take input from patients very seriously - the good, the bad and the ugly. I would really appreciate seeing any photos you may have of your hairline.

I would also like to really speak with you about Dr. Elliot and your experience. I will email you my cell phone.

Please email me at pat@hairtransplantnetwork.com any photos that you care to share.

Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Sure34,

I appreciate you bringing your surgical experience with Dr. Elliott to my attention and to those reading this forum. I also appreciate your time on the telephone yesterday.

Given your experience I have suspended Dr. Elliot's recommendation on the Hair Transplant Network.

While I know that Dr. Elliot has many satisfied patients with natural looking follicular unit results - a physician/clinic needs to show a consistant and proven track record of excellent results to remain recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. This includes good judgement in patient selection and planning for long term hair loss.

Perhaps I'm making an error in removing his recommendation. But when it comes to life long surgical results I feel it is neccisary to error on the side of being overly conservative.

I do intend to again visit clinics in California this year. Perhaps this will include Dr. Elliot's clinic. If I can re-establish confidence in the quality of his work then perhaps his recommendation will be reactivated.

Sure34, the physicians we discussed for refining your hairline (Dr. Shapiro, Dr. Keene, Dr. Hasson etc) all have the capability of giving you a subtle and natural hairline.

I'm sorry about your experience to date. I do expect that in the hands of the surgeons you are considering you will be able resolve your issue. I'm also glad to hear that you have gotten on Propecia to slow or halt your hair loss.

Best wishes and please keep us all posted.

Pat

My Hair Loss Blog

I would also like to see those pics. I am all about suspending docs and only recommending the best docs, but I think every doc should have thier day in court, and this forum is great for that. I trust Pats judgement, but would like the opportunity to also cast my opinion as well as other members who come on here. Just because a doc is accused does not make him guilty, as we saw with that quack who accused hasson and wong. I think if you want to do justice to your claims showing pics of your case will be much more powerfull and your point will be heard much louder. Im sure Pat took these steps and it is legit, just my thoughts.

• 4 weeks later...

hi, i have had two procedures with doctor Elliott since 1999, the last being in 2005. i am very happy with my results, and he is a fine surgeon as i have seen many of his patients results in person. i am also curious to know why he was suspended by th voice of one patient? Are there photos available. i know that he is in the iahrs and on the board of abhrs, and many drs. recommend him for transplants.

Something-- I just slammed you in another thread, but just in case you did not get the message..... The voice of ONE patient is enough to make us look into a Dr.'s practices doctor/consultant/dr's buddy, or whatever you call yourself by day.

I just want to let everyone know that I believe Something and MatBBBB are shills for Dr. Elliott

I am sure of BBBB since he has commented on Dr. Elliot twice by reviving threads months old.

I will wait to see what Something has to say or post (pictures perhaps?)

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

look B spot, if this dr. is not legit, then to hell with him, but i dont work for the guy..but he was a member of this site for quite some time and i had some work done by him..regardless i dont want to argue or prove my legitimacy because it just seems absurd

• 2 weeks later...

Sure 34:

He did the same thing to me and gave me a very low hairline and i am 49 years old. I never had this low hairline even when i was 16 years old. I don't think Elliot has any Ethics or ever had one. All i can tell is that he bases his work on how many times he can brings you in and milk you. A 49 year old should have a receding type of hairline. I any case, I wish i had seen this weblog and your experience with this Unethical Doctor.

By the way, I 've been on medication due to severe depression because of this.

yauboo

Originally posted by sure 34:

Dr. Elliot performed 3 surgeries on me from the age of 18-23 and the results are not good. I was first turned away by Bosley, they said I was too young, I then went to Dr. Elliot and he quickly promised great things and went on to take 3000 grafts, thousands of dollars, and gave me a very low hairline that I know I won't have enough donor hair to maintain as my hair loss continues. I'd stay far, far away from Dr. Elliot. Very poor experience and did not even come close to being up front with be about the possible ramifications.

I wish, and wish i had seen this web discussion before. I recentley went to Dr Elliot and despite my insisting that i always had a big forehead but yet he brought down my hairline too low so i would go for a 2nd and maybe 3rd procedure(And i was willing too). I have been on medication due to depression and anxiety since then. Iam (was) NW6+

Stay away from this UNETHICAL doctor. Other reasons that he is trying to bring you back for a 2nd or maybe 3rd for touch-up is that he has multiple offices and therefore more expenses.

New to the posting experience but I have been an avid reader of this forum.

About 2 months ago, I finally decided to go with a hair transplant. I guessed that I was about a Norwood 5, but it is actually super fine baby type hair that is thin and dispersed on the top of my head.

Using this forum as the beta testing, I consulted with 3 different doctors and ( this will shock you) got 3 widely different responses to how many FU's I would need and what final coverage I could obtain with two planned procedures one year apart. One Doctor suggested that I could easily get 80 per cm with 2 procedures and only 1600FU's total.....I crossed him off the list. The other two doctors work was highly recommended on this forum and after many questions and much examining of their work, I decided to go with Dr. Hasson in Vancouver.

The procedure resulted in 4944FU's and lots of staples!!! Since I had anticipated about 3500 on the first and 2500 on the second procedure, I am thus far quite happy, and ahead on my goal of full coverage. The current stubble on my head shows great promise and artistry from the doctor.

I am not ready to post before and after photos but I anticipate at the 4-5 month post operation to show the work. (BTW, my surgery was last week----23May).

Basically I wanted to thank all for your experiences, good and bad, and giving me courage to move forward. Cheers

HT#1 4944FU 23May06-Hasson

HT#2 1960FU 16Jan07- Hasson

6904 Total FU, 13160 Hairs

2184-1's, 3184-2's, 1536-3's

Wow, I am surprised to hear about your experience. I recently had work done by Dr Elliott and had a great experience with great results. I was referred by a friend and have referred several of my clients since my procedure. We all have outstanding results. Dr Elliott was very thorough, very professional and had a great personality. He and his staff kept me laughing the whole time, I didn't want to leave. I received impeccable care both before and after my surgery. Dr Elliott was very in-tune with my goals and was open to any feedback I had. I was shocked to read your posting, knowing the positive experiences my friend, clients and myself have had. Have you confronted him with your feelings?

Originally posted by sure 34:

Hello,

I recently joined the posting and was refered to this website by my friend who referred my to Dr Elliott. I can see that you are an angry person, not sure what your story is. I just read postings by category and posted my response, I didn't pay attention to the dates of postings I responded to. I am new on this website. May it is YOU who is "shill" of a competitor of the doctor's you are "slamming". READER BEWARE!

Originally posted by the B spot:

Something-- I just slammed you in another thread, but just in case you did not get the message..... The voice of ONE patient is enough to make us look into a Dr.'s practices doctor/consultant/dr's buddy, or whatever you call yourself by day.

I just want to let everyone know that I believe Something and MatBBBB are shills for Dr. Elliott

I am sure of BBBB since he has commented on Dr. Elliot twice by reviving threads months old.

I will wait to see what Something has to say or post (pictures perhaps?)

No Matt, I am actually not an angry person. What angers me is good, honest people who suffer from hairloss going to doctors who perform subpar work on them. I take this issue and this community very seriously, and anyone that has been here for any amount of time can tell you a favorite pastime of shills or clinics that want to get their name back out there is to revive old threads. Your comment about the dates COULD be an oversight, but you continue to revive any thread concerning your doctor even if it is 3 years old! This community supports solid, ultra-refined follicular transplantation, and we have an EXTENSIVE list of doctors here that welcome our input and critical evaluations. In addition, Pat (the site founder) spends time visiting clinics and viewing actual surgeries and viewing results.

After reading your public profile I notice that you are an ATTY. I take it that you are an attorney?

As someone who is entering law school(me), and the attention to detail that you are TRAINED for, I find it completely ridiculous that you missed the dates on the threads you brought up. Sorry, not angry, just wary.

BTW, Have you posted BEFORE and AFTER photos of your HT? The HT with your doctor?

Again, no problem supporting your doctor here, but please show us some proof and START YOUR OWN CURRENT THREAD.

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

MattBBBB,

The integrity of this site is of the utmost importance. Bspot's concern, and mine as well, is that you are merely here to plug Dr. Elliott - who many posters here have claimed has delivered questionable results.

If you have results with Dr. Elliott that are solid, please post before and after photos for us to compare. This is a request that is asked of any new poster who claims to have great work done by a Doc who has proven to deliver questionable or inconsistent results.

I've reviewed all of your posts and, to date, all except for one are direct compliments of Dr. Elliott................the exception is a revived post for Dr. True, who Dr. Elliott used to be teamed with. This is highly suspect. I tend to agree with Bspot's initial assessement of the situation. He's got a heart for this site and is an invaluable contributor so his position really needs no defending.

If you have no hidden agenda........again, as I've asked, post the pics and let everyone decide wha they think of Dr. Elliott's work. Due to a somewhat checkered past, he has some hurdles to clear before he's going to be accepted and/or referred by this site and its membership.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Gspot and Hairbank,

It appears to me that both of you are, indeed, "shills" of this website. I can see now that your language correlates with what was written by the person named Pat Hennessy of this website. I know, now, that this website is a farce. It is not looking out for the best interests of patients and potential patients. If you two react this adamantly to a new members positive experiences of a doctor you have not personally had experiences with, but obviously have preconceived notions of, then you are not interested in honesty and integrity as you previously mentioned. To attack someone you don't know, who is new to your website, is appauling. READER BEWARE! THIS WEBSITE IS A FARSE!

Matt, just show us the work, show us some pics. No reason to argue just show the pics, and I think Hairbank and B spot are both good people who I have seen no angry retoric or comments towards you, just questions. You can solve this whole thing by showing some pictures

I never thought of myself as a shill for the website before......... I simply made an observation, as did Hairbank. Also, unless we see up to date photos of a particular doctor, it is better to err on the side of caution, and ask for photos. Compounding the issue is the insistance on reviving 2 or 3 year old threads to plug a doctor, without showing before and afters. I welcome doctors that want to show and prove to the world that they perform state of the art hairtransplantation, regardless of any affiliation they may or may not have, simply because if we have MORE doctors that do good work, we have LESS butchery or out-dated surgical techniques. All of this to better help US the sufferers. Matt, I hope you have achieved your goals, and continue to do so. I would like to see some detailed photos at this point, if you are going to push the issue here.

2 cents

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

i would show you photos myself Bspot, but with my career, it is impossible. i hope Dr. Elliott can get some of his patients that can post photos to post, but its a little difficult when you live in Los Angeles and make money from your image to post your secrets worldwide..

Originally posted by something:

i would show you photos myself Bspot, but with my career, it is impossible. i hope Dr. Elliott can get some of his patients that can post photos to post, but its a little difficult when you live in Los Angeles and make money from your image to post your secrets worldwide..

I can appreciate your concern for letting others see your photos, but you can easily crop out your face from the photo so that nobody would ever recognize you. All I think anyone is asking for is a close-up before & after of the hairline, etc.

Hope this helps.

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog

He may be what he says he is or he may not, but I understand about not postin any pics....I certainly wont....If you guys dont care who knows, thats great...but some people dont want anyone to ever know, doesnt make them full of shit...

Dr Charles In Boca Raton Florida

I am a physician and anesthesiologist in Miami, and underwent a hair transplant procedure four weeks ago with Dr. Charles of Boca. The process, before, during and after went better than any expectations. Dr. Charles and his staff made certain that the procedure and the process of hair trans-plantation went flawlessly and without pain. He made sure that the normal anxiety that I felt was eliminated with an oral sedative. I was given adequate sedation and I did not feel any discomfort during the times of injection in the surgical areas. During the lengthy procedure local anesthesia was applied as required without any discomfort. After the procedure his post-operative instructions were clear and went a long way making me comfortable during the first few days after surgery. I strongly recommend Dr. Charles from Boca to anyone that wants to have a successful experience with hair transplants.