Sharing our experiences and Surgeon reviews

i agree completely louie. i also had hair transplants and i regret it and will the rest of my life. and it seems to me that this site is for nothing more than to promote ht and these shady doctors that have no ethics

16-inch scar,

Give it up already will you? You have yet to show any photographs of any bad hair transplants and you fail to realize that technology has improved considerably since you likely had yours. Open your eyes a little!

Are there still risks? Yes.

Are there still unethical doctors out there? Yes.

But is this site for nothing more than to promote hair transplants? No. It's to help decipher the good from the bad.

Is it to promote any shady doctors who have no ethics? No - it's to call them out for what they are.

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog

• 3 weeks later...

Who would be the Dr that anyone would recommend for repair work?Just have to say this site has changed my mind abit on H.T,after reading it for a few days now i feel i would like to get my botch job fixed.

Would mean travelling to the U.S,so if any are told names would be appreciated..

exibel,

Firstly, I do recommend starting your own thread as you will get more responses.

Be sure to spend time researching physicians and select one with a proven track record of success. When looking through photos, focus your attention on repair work specifically and speak to physicians about their approach and develop realistic expectations.

Though the majority of the most talented surgeons are in the United States and Canada, there are a few highly talented surgeons in Europe as well.

I recommend consulting with a few of our Coalition surgeons who have met our high level of membership standards.

Best wishes,

Bill

• 1 month later...

dewayne,

Apparently, according to Dr Bernstein's New York site, a Dr Woods in Australia did pioneer the FUE technology. Dont know anything about chest hair but some are claiming it. The knee jerk reaction accusations of 'unethical' seem pretty questionable without investigation.

"In the latter half of the 1990s, doctors set out to find a way around the linear scar by directly extracting follicular unit from the donor area using a small punch. Dr. Ray Woods was the earliest pioneer of this procedure, but practiced in Australia and chose not share details of his technique with other physicians."

As for body hair transplants, believe it or not some people do want them (http://www.foundhair.com) - baffling to me too but there you go.

Well I went for my procedure last Friday and I was pleasantly surprised at this experience. I must say it was rather long, all day, 1493 grafts but it was not bad at all. In fact, I felt badly for the technicians that were on their feet all day or tediously looking under the microscopes separating the grafts. Dr. Rose is terrific and at one point sort of apologized at going over our discussions a second time. Said he was very anal. I said as far as him working on my head anal was good!!! I can't say enough for the techs that worked with my all day. Everyone was totally professional but light hearted and friendly and all, including Dr. Rose, did their very best to make it as pleasant an experience as possible. I definitely could tell that my complete comfort and satisfaction was their chief concern.

Right now I am in the fourth day of recovery and I will return back on the 10th day to have the sutures removed from the donor area. I will keep you posted on how things are going.

As I am a female and experiencing female pattern baldness, I must commend Dr. Rose for his complete honesty. Unlike my first choice that told me I had male pattern baldness, and that my transplanted hair would never ever come out, Dr. Rose explained that at some years down the line, I may experience some loss though it would be quite a number of years from now. I really, really appreciated his honesty. I am now checking out an endocrinologist to try to slow down any further hair loss.

For now I just wanted to say thank you to your site because that's how I found Dr. Rose and also wanted to recommend his services to anyone in the area.

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been in this business for a long time so please heed my warnings:

1. BIG Companies such as MHR lies to you there staff is not quality and most of the time have no idea how to do this procedure

2. SMALL GRAFTS are a JOKE they are wanting to give you a bone and hope you will be a repeat pt. for them. You can get a better result with a range including FU and halfs and they can be put just as close together to look natural.

3. Having alot of medical expereince in this YOU ARE GETTING RIPPED OFF by MHR . I only recomend BOSLEY if you feel comfortable only using a chain franchise for this procedure.

Originally posted by Wes:

contact matt kaplan at shapiro in minnesota and tell him wes sent you, or hassongandwong.com, in b.c.

Originally posted by Git R Done:

Hello all- I wanted to thank everyone for their valuable input. I am currently interviewing different surgens and plan on getting my first 2000-2400 graphs in Dec.

I had a couple questions I hope someone can help with:

1. Does any one have any feedback about Dr. Meshkin in Beverly Hills/ Newport? He is on the list of good surgens in CA. but I havent heard anything about him on this site.

2. What about Dr. Elliott in CA?

3. I also have my pic's into Dr. Epstein and Dr. Shapiro and think I will go with one of them- but it would be so much more conveinent to go with Meshkin as I live less than an hour from his office.

Any advice? Epstien or Shapiro I would reccommend

Thanks guys-

Ginnydee,

Congratulations on going through with hair transplant surgery. Dr. Rose does excellent work.

It appears that your experience got lost on this thread a little bit, so I encourage you to create your own, share your experience, and add photos if you are comfortable. You can also create a hair loss weblog which is the best way to document your progress with photos.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes,

Bill

• 3 months later...

I am scheduled to go to Bosley on Friday for an intial consultation. After reading the feedback on Bosley I feel I should look into some other doctors. I live in Phoenix, AZ and see that Dr. Scott Alexander or Dr. Keene from Tuscon are the only AZ Dr.'s in the coalition. Does anyone have experience with these Dr.'s or recommend anyone else in AZ.

• 2 months later...
Originally posted by skinnyStick:

Guys,

I'm 30 and contemplating of getting a hair implant. But today, I ran a cross this guy's website (promotional link removed)claiming he regrew his hair back. Any thoughts whether or not I should try his product first before pursing an implant?

LOL .. it is garbage ads like that which waste so many millions of dollars from vulnerable balding people.

That guy is an @$$-hole trying to make some quick money by trying to rip you off. The website is cheap, has no scientific backing (he supports it with his own personal account). His re-growth looks like nothing more than him adding some concealer like Topik and claiming he has had re-growth. His hair still looks terrible by the end, very sparse ... I hope he enjoys his product when he is bald and has a garage full of the garbage he is trying to sell.

Avoid the scam and get a HT if you want a real solution.

Stick to propecia/proscar, rogaine and Hair transplants or call it game over and shave your head.

• 2 months later...

Need advice from experience fellas:

I am 26, Norwood 3.5-4.

I am currently in process of online consultation with various renowned surgeons for HT, two of them have sent how many grafts i will need after looking at my pictures:

Dr. Rahal's office: 3750 grafts

Dr. R.Bernstein : 2400 grafts

I am awaiting responses from others, but can there be a huge difference in the number of grafts estimation when the doctors have seen the same set of photographs.

Also, for me the price they have quoted is exorbitant, I understand that its that way in US & Canada. Is there any financing available if I still want to take it up.

Awaiting to see your feedback.

tuja

One HT:

2900 Grafts with Dr. Radha

Originally posted by tuja:

Need advice from experience fellas:

I am 26, Norwood 3.5-4.

I am currently in process of online consultation with various renowned surgeons for HT, two of them have sent how many grafts i will need after looking at my pictures:

I am awaiting responses from others, but can there be a huge difference in the number of grafts estimation when the doctors have seen the same set of photographs.

Also, for me the price they have quoted is exorbitant, I understand that its that way in US & Canada. Is there any financing available if I still want to take it up.

Awaiting to see your feedback.

Tuja,

Graft counts can vary widely depending upon your goals and the doctor's plans for you and what was discussed during your consultation.

You may want to start your own thread to get some more input, but since both doctors saw your photos, did either one outline where they might put in your new hairline (assuming that is what you need done)? Did either one discuss density (ie. grafts per cm2)? And did either Dr. discuss your future hairloss, what your donor area looks like as they plan for the future with your finite donor hair. These are just a few of the discussion items that are under consideration when a Doctor provides a graft estimate for you.

M&M

M&M Weblog

Continuing with my previous posts about estimation of grafts sent by different doctors:

Dr. Hassan&Wong : 3500 grafts

Dr. Pathomvanich : 2500+ grafts

Today I had a meeting with Dr. Bishan Mahadevia where Arnolder had his transplant done, I found him reasonable, not selling anything, no pressure, he just told me that whenever I intend to take HT with him just inform 15 days before.

But the main thing which worries me is:

His estimation of graft requirement: 1850+

Also, he said you dont need grafts at the top because hairfall should be stable and it looks like either more hair will fall from the crown or you will get it considerably dense by medicines itself.

Kindly comment although M&M has already said a detailed discussion is required but here the difference is 50% and I have already discussed in detail with Dr. Bishan.

And yes one important thing, he said in 1 sq.cm. area, you should have not more than 30-35 grafts or at the max 40 because your average scalp at back has not more than 80/ sqcm of grafts, and 50% of which is maximum you should take from behind.

Please comment on this if you have any knowledge about this.

tuja

One HT:

Hi Tuja,

I think your post isn't getting many views here, so I would suggest you start your own thread with a clear title and then list the following estimates you have received from Doctors and then also post a few photos. You can definitely crop out your face to ensure that nobody recognizes you, but this will help us a lot.

As for your quotes, I'm pleased when I see the top two doctors that you have received estimates from come very close (Dr. Rahal at 3750 and Dr. Hasson/Wong at 3500). These two (okay, three really) are so good at what they do and can do very large sessions, so if they thought you needed more, they would quote more. If they thought you needed less, they'd quote less.

On the other hand, some of the others perhaps can only do 2500 in a single session and therefore, they are saying that is all you need... but then you'll require another procedure.

Now, onto the next topic from Dr. Mahadevia (never heard of him). Taking a conservative approach with the crown if you are new on the meds certainly makes sense. Is this something you've discussed with the others? Have you responded well to Propecia / Rogaine? Overall, this is good advice. But, when he says that 30-35 grafts per cm2 is the most you should ever get, I do disagree. Have you seen what that looks like? Typically, what Dr. H&W and Dr. Rahal will do is plant the hairline at a thicker density (say 50-60) and then taper back the density ensuring you have nice framing for the face, while not wasting any precious grafts (like some who receive 70-90 cm2 in the hairline).

M&M

M&M Weblog

Originally posted by hairhair9:

Hi,

I m new to this site. Hope someone can give me suggestion and feedback on surgeons.

I m from Sydney, Australia. Thinking of going for HT in Sydney Institute of Hair Restoration, performed by Dr Andrew Kim.

http://www.sihr.com.au/

Has someone had HT by him? Any comments? Thanks

HairHair9,

I haven't heard of this doctor, but I took a quick look at the photo album and here are my thoughts:

- Every patient seems to have a thin wispy comb-over in the after photos - not impressive

- There is no data on number of grafts, number of hairs, photos of scars to demonstrate solid closure technique, etc.

I would suggest you start a new thread as you will generally get more visibility this way. You should also complete an online consultation with some of the coalition doctors on this site. Whatever you do - do not let travel be a factor for you! Your HT will stay with you for a lifetime and costs a lot of hard-earned dollars, so take your time, do your research and ask lots of questions. Good luck!

M&M

M&M Weblog

Okie M&M will start with new thread.

Dr. mahadevia has reasoned it with my existing scalp density. He said, not more than 50% of the density should be taken in HT. I am not aware whether there is any such standard.

Thanks a lot for your advice.

I will start my own thread with pictures.

Regards,

Tushar

tuja

One HT:

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I find it tough to understand is how can a doctor give extrmely low hairline and even if it was there are old people who have low hairline but bald on crown so is it really worth being depressed about ? I really wish we

had pictures to see so others are carefull about low hairline issues.

Originally posted by web22:

Sure 34:

He did the same thing to me and gave me a very low hairline and i am 49 years old. I never had this low hairline even when i was 16 years old. I don't think Elliot has any Ethics or ever had one. All i can tell is that he bases his work on how many times he can brings you in and milk you. A 49 year old should have a receding type of hairline. I any case, I wish i had seen this weblog and your experience with this Unethical Doctor.

By the way, I 've been on medication due to severe depression because of this.

yauboo

Originally posted by sure 34:

Dr. Elliot performed 3 surgeries on me from the age of 18-23 and the results are not good. I was first turned away by Bosley, they said I was too young, I then went to Dr. Elliot and he quickly promised great things and went on to take 3000 grafts, thousands of dollars, and gave me a very low hairline that I know I won't have enough donor hair to maintain as my hair loss continues. I'd stay far, far away from Dr. Elliot. Very poor experience and did not even come close to being up front with be about the possible ramifications.

If you have little hairloss just go with propecia and Minoxidil and a good shampoo.

(I personally like thymuskin ). But apart from propecia and minoxidil no other treatment is reliable. Its upto you to try but there can be risks and waste of money. I tried something for a while and my hair started to turn gray.

Originally posted by skinnyStick:

Guys,

I'm 30 and contemplating of getting a hair implant. But today, I ran a cross this guy's website (promotional link removed) claiming he regrew his hair back. Any thoughts whether or not I should try his product first before pursing an implant?