Sharing our experiences and Surgeon reviews

Originally posted by Git R Done:

Hello all- I wanted to thank everyone for their valuable input. I am currently interviewing different surgens and plan on getting my first 2000-2400 graphs in Dec.

I had a couple questions I hope someone can help with:

1. Does any one have any feedback about Dr. Meshkin in Beverly Hills/ Newport? He is on the list of good surgens in CA. but I havent heard anything about him on this site.

2. What about Dr. Elliott in CA?

3. I also have my pic's into Dr. Epstein and Dr. Shapiro and think I will go with one of them- but it would be so much more conveinent to go with Meshkin as I live less than an hour from his office.

Any advice?

Thanks guys-

contact matt kaplan at shapiro in minnesota and tell him wes sent you, or hassongandwong.com, in b.c.

Originally posted by Git R Done:

Hello all- I wanted to thank everyone for their valuable input. I am currently interviewing different surgens and plan on getting my first 2000-2400 graphs in Dec.

I had a couple questions I hope someone can help with:

1. Does any one have any feedback about Dr. Meshkin in Beverly Hills/ Newport? He is on the list of good surgens in CA. but I havent heard anything about him on this site.

2. What about Dr. Elliott in CA?

3. I also have my pic's into Dr. Epstein and Dr. Shapiro and think I will go with one of them- but it would be so much more conveinent to go with Meshkin as I live less than an hour from his office.

Any advice?

Thanks guys-

was it an FU ?

Originally posted by HMS:

Dr Charles In Boca Raton Florida

I am a physician and anesthesiologist in Miami, and underwent a hair transplant procedure four weeks ago with Dr. Charles of Boca. The process, before, during and after went better than any expectations. Dr. Charles and his staff made certain that the procedure and the process of hair trans-plantation went flawlessly and without pain. He made sure that the normal anxiety that I felt was eliminated with an oral sedative. I was given adequate sedation and I did not feel any discomfort during the times of injection in the surgical areas. During the lengthy procedure local anesthesia was applied as required without any discomfort. After the procedure his post-operative instructions were clear and went a long way making me comfortable during the first few days after surgery. I strongly recommend Dr. Charles from Boca to anyone that wants to have a successful experience with hair transplants.

what was your scale/ and how many grafts? how many ones, twos, thre's etc, and call me if you would this sunday or later.seend me email : wes@movers.com

Originally posted by HMS:

Dr Charles In Boca Raton Florida

I am a physician and anesthesiologist in Miami, and underwent a hair transplant procedure four weeks ago with Dr. Charles of Boca. The process, before, during and after went better than any expectations. Dr. Charles and his staff made certain that the procedure and the process of hair trans-plantation went flawlessly and without pain. He made sure that the normal anxiety that I felt was eliminated with an oral sedative. I was given adequate sedation and I did not feel any discomfort during the times of injection in the surgical areas. During the lengthy procedure local anesthesia was applied as required without any discomfort. After the procedure his post-operative instructions were clear and went a long way making me comfortable during the first few days after surgery. I strongly recommend Dr. Charles from Boca to anyone that wants to have a successful experience with hair transplants.

I had a HT WITH DR.UEBEL IN PORTO ALEGRE LAST TUESDAY-it was not an FU, and I AM HOPING TO GET THE RESULTS OF A FU, they said they don't count the grafts, only that they do dense packing and megasessions??

Originally posted by the B spot:

I never thought of myself as a shill for the website before......... I simply made an observation, as did Hairbank. Also, unless we see up to date photos of a particular doctor, it is better to err on the side of caution, and ask for photos. Compounding the issue is the insistance on reviving 2 or 3 year old threads to plug a doctor, without showing before and afters. I welcome doctors that want to show and prove to the world that they perform state of the art hairtransplantation, regardless of any affiliation they may or may not have, simply because if we have MORE doctors that do good work, we have LESS butchery or out-dated surgical techniques. All of this to better help US the sufferers. Matt, I hope you have achieved your goals, and continue to do so. I would like to see some detailed photos at this point, if you are going to push the issue here.

2 cents

• 5 months later...
Guest Cousin_It

Johnno..

If possible, we would appreciate any photos you would be able to share about your experience. This would only enhance your opinion of this clinic. Looking forward to hearing back from you.

• 6 months later...
Originally posted by Robert_:

Welcome to the forums, Git R Done.

I'll try to answer your questions as best as possible.

1) You can search the forums for posts made by previous patients by using the keyword search under the "Find" tab. Besure to uncheck the tab that limits your search to one forum.

2) Same as #1.

3) No matter what physician you choose, don't let geographic preference sway your decision. The cost of a flight and hotel room are relatively small compared to the peace of mind that you get for going with a physician that you feel truly comfortable with.

-Robert

I just had 3815 grafts. about 10-12k hairs.

Dr Gabel Hillsboro or, Going great so far after 8 days. He was very skilled.Stitches out tommorrow. brought me back 25 years.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all, I am a new member here at the forum and I just wanted to check in and say hello. The wealth of information and educated opinion combined with those who graciously share their personal expericences have been a tremendous help.

I had my HT with Dr Bernstein in Manhattan on 6/25/07. All I can say is the experience was as good as I could have ever anticipated. I did my homework and research to some degree and met for one consultation with Dr Bernstein before my HT. The procedure itself was long, but I was made as comfortable as possible. The incredible attention paid to me as I spent the day in the office for my procedure put me at ease and in a much better state of mind then when I first sat down to begin, I can't tell you how much this helped overall. (Gurls I am indebted to you).(ok, so maybe it was the anesthesia.. ;p) but their professionalism, attention to detail and obvious trade craft was tremedously obvious and reassuring. I will keep you posted on my progress. So far I'm right on target. After my initial, "Oh my god" reaction to some shock loss, at 6 weeks out it has stopped and now I'm just waiting.. "Patiently" and that is what might actually thin faster then my hair !! Is there a transplant for Patience ??

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I wanted to note a couple of items for the benefit of people considering hair transplant surgery. I should say I had a good experience. It has been 2 months since my surgery and everything has healed well and hair is starting to grow nicely. These points could help other transplant candidates.

Donor strip ??“ after the donor strip has been removed and stitched, you have to spend the rest of the day with your head resting exactly where the wound is. It's important to make sure your head is supported as much as possible (the staff should provide you with a pillow that cradles your neck ??“ this will take some pressure off the wound). I had to reposition my head every 15 minutes or so to relieve the discomfort, which was considerable even with anesthesia. Unconsciously, I was trying to minimize the pressure on my head by holding it slightly up, which cause my shoulders to burn with pain. You cannot do this for 6 hours. I The attendants will help keep you comfortable, but also let them know when you have to reposition yourself. Otherwise, you won't make it through the day -- the pain will drive you to distraction.

Implanting ??“ after the donor strip has been taken and dissected, staff start to implant the follicular units into the scalp. I have a fairly high pain threshold ??“ I usually fall asleep in the dentist's chair. But I felt the steel of the transplant instrument penetrating my scalp with each implant. I was gripping the upholstery of the arm of the surgical chair while I was wondering how I was going to manage six more hours of the incredible discomfort. One of the staff realized I was in discomfort and asked if I needed more anesthetic. "YES," I shouted, relieved. After that, I let the staff know whenever the anesthetic would wear off (and I could feel pain from the instruments). This happened about every 90 minutes (more often toward the end of the day). The doctor would return and shoot me up again. Let your doctor know when you are experiencing discomfort ??“ if you need more anasthetic, you need to know you can ask for it.

Napping -- For me, lying on a painful donor strip wound, monitoring when the anesthetic would wear off and I would start feeling surgical steel again made it impossible to fall asleep as some patients claim. I was aware (hyperaware) of each minute passing during the long day of surgery. Save your napping for next time you're getting you're teeth drilled at the dentist.

Loss of Sensation -- One thing that I think patients should know more about is the loss of sensation that results from the removal of the donor strip. I haven't read much about it on the Internet, so it came as a bit of a surprise. I think the loss of sensation results from cutting the nerves. The loss of sensation was quite significant for me (as I imagine it is for many, if not most, patients). For example, I was working on a carpentry project a month after surgery, and dropped a two-by-four on my head (clearly I am not a great carpenter). I felt the board, but had no sensation of pain. I'm heading into the third month now and I'm slowly beginning to feel some of the sensation return to my scalp. The loss of sensation on the scalp is something you should be prepared for.

Signing waivers - Last piece of advice: Ask you doctor to provide you with waiver forms at least one day prior to surgery. I was quite surprised to be presented with an extensive multi-page disclaimer of liability presented to me first thing in the morning, just minutes before surgery starts. Six weeks earlier, when I paid my cash deposit, I had asked for any documentation to be provided to me. Office staff responded with explicit assurances that there would be nothing more to sign. I was clearly disappointed six weeks later to be presented with a thick waiver agreement just moments before surgery. It contained a lot of information which I was reading for the first time. Consent can only be considered meaningful or informed when it is provided without duress. Doctors who wait until the morning of surgery run the risk that courts will find the waiver invalid by reason of duress. Better for you (and for your doctor) to make sure you receive his/her waiver form 24 hours prior to surgery.

• 3 weeks later...

Pat

I am not balding that bad however over the last four years my hairline has really backed off to the point where I need to cutt my hair short. The short hair thing just doesn't work for me. I need to get a new hair line. However, I bet I only need 600 or so.

Can I get a couple referrals who do good hairines in the So Cal area.

Sincerely,

Bren

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Thanks for this website... and the information it provides. I want to find out about Dr. Shelley Friedman of Scottsdale Arizona... and yet there is nothing listed. It's hard to believe that someone in practice for over 20 years... wouldn't have some good and bad things said about him. Why is there nothing... and does anyone have any information about Dr. Friedman. Kaelen

Originally posted by Pat - Publisher of this Community:

Welcome to our forum - Hair Restoration Clinics - where you can share your frank opinions with others about the quality of work by various physicians.

To search for posts about a particular surgeons, click on the "Find" function at the top of this page and enter the surgeons last name. You will then get all the posts regarding this particular surgeon over the past four years.

The field of hair transplant surgery is largely unregulated (i.e. buyer beware). But if we put our collective bald or formerly bald heads together we can help each other find our way into the hands of those surgeons who truly do great hair transplant work.

So please share your experiences and exercise your right to free speach and name names.

I've done my best to bring together the names, photos, and info about some of the very best hair transplant surgeons at the Hair Loss Learning Centerand the Hair Transplant Network.

But the physicians recommended are not a definitive list. No one person can possibly have all the answers about who is the best in all states and all countries.

So help me and help other find the best and avoid the worst by sharing your informed opinions regarding hair transplant surgeons and clinics.

Thank you - Pat editor and "Recovered Bald Guy"

Dear Forum Members,

I just wanted to thank Patrick for taking the time to visit our hair restoration office in Walnut Creek, CA. Although we have not yet made the decision as to whether we will join yet, we are pleased to have been invited and thoroughly enjoyed our site visit. Thank you for providing your fellow patients with such a valuable resource!

Warm Regards,

Dr. Sara Wasserbauer

www.californiahairsurgeon.com

Dr. Wasserbauer,

I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed Pat's visit and look forward to hearing the details from Pat. Keep in mind that becoming a recommended physician isn't as simple as "joining", but is based first upon our evaluation of your ability, experience, and consistent patient results. If our patient based community agrees that you are worthy of potential recommendation, you will be formally invited to become a recommended sponsor of our community. Because of our high level of standards and detailed evaluations we perform, our recommendations hold a high level of credibility which is why formal invitations to become a recommended sponsor is rare and quite an honor.

The invitation we have extended to you at this point is to register with our forum community (glad to see that you have done that) and show your best work by posting patient photos in the "hair transplant patient photo album" section. If our patient based community agrees that you are worthy of potential recommendation and you agree to become a recommended sponsor, we will be able to formally welcome you to the Hair Transplant Network community.

Best wishes,

Bill

I am 31 year old male and got a HTP at age of 23. It was the worst mistake of my life. Sure at 23 hair is important but in all reality women and friends dont really care. I hear more people making fun of hairtransplants and pieces than I do a confident bald men. I would love to chat with anyone especially under the age of 25 thinking about doing this.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello!

Pretty new to this website.

29 Male from India.Looking for a Hair transplant.

I have few queries:-

1) Who is the best surgeon in INDIA for hair transplant.

2) I have seen Dr. woods,Australia website (promotional link removed)

and it seems impressive that they do not use strip technique.So no stiches are required.Can i know if this is the right method and is Dr woods can be the right surgeon for me?

3) Can anybody suggest approx how many drafts i would require to cover 7x7 cms of scalp fully and its cost.

4) Anyone from India who has been through successful hair transplant within or outside India and willing to cooperate.

Your Feedbacks will be highly appreciated.

Regards,

jeets

Jeets,

Just from looking at the website, I have two problems that would cause me alarm:

1. He claims to have invented F.U.E. I doubt it, but you should P.M. Bill or Pat and find out who really did. If he's lying, beware!

2. Body hair transplant to the head? That won't work, imo, and he claims to be a pioneer in the field.

Those two things to me scream unethical, untalented, and unusable.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

• 2 weeks later...

I am so sorry to hear about this Dr. Eliot. He sounds extremely unethical. In Canada there is something known as the College of Physicians and Surgeons where if you have a bad experience with a doctor you can report them and in some cases they will even lose their license. You may want to try contacting a similar organization in California about Dr. Eliot to make sure he does not continue to practice if you think this would be best.