UK BALDYS....

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

DAMN!!!! I should be getting residuals for starting this thread!

It's the Jerry Springer of Balding Blogs---

"SOoo, you say you have never scarred, molested or butchered any one in the UK, 'eh ht doc?"

"Well it just so happens I have some scarred, molested, and butchered patients of yours right here. Bring 'em out Sherry!!!!!!"

----LETS GET READY TO RU--'M'--B'LEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

I have already tried to explain this a few times but you can now hear it from Dr Farjo. I remind you that we have not provided any treatment to this patient

"?? 31 year old man, only started losing hair at age 27 whose father is now at least Norwood 5 if not 6.

"?? The loss for now is in the crown

"?? The crown loss area is very vague, reasonably large and I am very certain its going to get significantly worse, not just in density but also in term of expanding in all directions.

"?? Likely he will experience significant frontal loss at some point in the future due to family history and lack of long enough period over which to study his own loss.

"?? He did start propecia and minoxidil 6 months prior BUT claimed his loss stopped at the same time he started them

"?? My judgement was that it was not a good case for surgery as it was risky to give him significant density in the crown at this point due to the above

"?? Sometimes in cases like this one, if I cannot convince them to show patience and come back to see me later, I suggest just enough hair in an area to make some difference and make him feel happier in that he has done something positive BUT keep his options open and not get trapped in having to keep patching his crown. In other words avoid the potential ??carpet of hair' in the middle and halo of bald skin around it

"?? I cannot remember this man (from a year ago!) but according to my notes on that day I discussed all issues about transplants and specifically wrote ??including FUE'. I can only assume the reason I specifically wrote that because he either brought it up during the consultation or I was making sure he is educated on all the options

I understand from what Mick tells me and according to the forum, Dr Feller did 2000 grafts in this patient's crown. The patient made a choice and good luck to him. I also understand that Dr Rahal recommended 3000 while H&W recommended 4000. Operating in the crown is a debate that goes on in scientific meetings all the time, and some of the well known names in the field have a policy of not operating in the crown in similar situations until either the patient is older or the hair loss has settled down or both. I made my assessment and expressed my opinion to the patient with the above in mind. I sincerely hope that my reservation is unfounded and he does not lose significant hair in the future.

Everyone has seen examples of our work between 2000 and 3500 grafts in similar size areas and even smaller. Why on earth would I recommend what I did and miss the opportunity of a 2000+ graft income, if I did not believe that this patient's best interests lie in not having surgery? In time I may be proved wrong of course but at least my recommendation was made in good faith and what I saw as the patient's best interest. Whenever I am not sure about treatment I refer to the medical ethic about "first do the patient no harm". Even amongst the coalition doctors or other experts you will find opinions differ due to personal aesthetic preferences, different approaches as well as different levels of experience.

If I did do a small case whether I do a strip or FUE is also a matter of opinion, discussion and future planning. However, for someone on the forum to say my opinion was "unethical" is scandalous and totally unacceptable. The argument about doing FUE in this case is tunnel-visioned and not taking into acount the long term view. I can accept that 500 grafts in isolation maybe suitable for FUE as it's a small number, but only if the patient is not going to need a lot more in the future. In Richie's case, if he did not want to wait and opted to have a little done for now, then I could have done FUE. However, a strip is also justified in view he will definitely need a lot more work in the future anyway either in the crown when more stable or in the front when he starts to go bald there. As it happens, he apparently already had a strip surgery so I don't see the point of taking the argument further.

I trust this will now conclude this topic.

Mick

Patient coordinator for Dr. Bessam Farjo who is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Everyone has seen examples of our work between 2000 and 3500 grafts in similar size areas and even smaller. Why on earth would I recommend what I did and miss the opportunity of a 2000+ graft income, if I did not believe that this patient's best interests lie in not having surgery?

why was richie offered a discounted price to have the surgery from ??1750 to ??1500 if his interest lay with him not having surgery...??

I would like to point out that on this thread at no point has any doctor been quoted as unethical.I have read the whole thing again,some read and i have copied quotes where forum members have asked is this ethical ?.This is a question and not a statement.

I thought i would clear that up before that part deflects this post.

Dr Farjo quote

If I did do a small case whether I do a strip or FUE is also a matter of opinion, discussion and future planning. However, for someone on the forum to say my opinion was "unethical" is scandalous and totally unacceptable. The argument about doing FUE in this case is tunnel-visioned and not taking into acount the long term view

Frogs quote below

also the quote for 500 grafts was for strip then after all , but is it ethical to perform a strip now days for only 500 grafts??

Nortonvictim quote below

no reference to Dr Farjos ethics

. The trouble with the UK clinics are 1) Not properly regulated 2)They have been tarred with the brush used by greedy unethical and inept clinics like Norton and crooked surgeons like Desmond Greaves(struck off)and Tom Norton struck off)

Richie quote below

MICK MCHUGH HAS JUST ADMITTED THAT DR BESSAM FARJO WAS GOING TO CUT OPEN MY SCALP ........ PERFORM SURGERY BUY REMOVING A SLIP OF SKIN ON MY HEAD FOR ONLY 5OO GRAFTS !!!!!!

IS THAT ETHICAL ?

SERIOUSLY GUYS I EMPLORE YOU ALL TO SEE SENCE AND THINK AS A PATIENT , AS A FELLOW HAIR LOSS SUFFERER FIRST AND FORMOST .....

IS THAT ETHICAL ?

Micks quote below

Finally do not question the ethics of someone who does more for the field of hair loss than most.You need to read, digest and understand and as always the facts will enmerge.

Mick

This is a public forum with the best interests of the patient at heart and any doctor is open to questioning.

Mick/Dr Farjo thankyou for taking the time to respond.

Thanks Chucky

2 x strip ht`s with Norton,very poor results

1 x fue ht with DHI,very poor result

Firstly ,before Bill jumps in , i know i said i was done with this thread , however i feel i have to come back on hear and defend myself yet again .

Thankyou Dr Farjo for taking time to reply , very much appriciated .

I feel that your reply was fair however it does have slight undertones of portraying me as ,firstly a pushy patient ,who wouldn't take no for an answer , and secondly , as not really knowing what I was getting involved with regarding hair surgery and medication .

I am , and was when we consulted , well aware that the effects of my male pattern baldness may get worse given that my father is a norwood-hamilton scale 5 vertex , meaning temple recession and crown thinning leaving a bridge of hair over the mid-scalp and an island of hair in the center , above his forhead , bless my father he is now 63 and hasn't got any worse since his 40s , so i was aware i may need future proceedures . Incidently i provided Dr Feller with photos of my father's hairloss as it was one of my own concerns .

I started propecia in june 2006 ,a good 8 months earlier and personally didn't feel my hairloss had stablized until summer 2007 ,long after i had consulted with you ,so really i feel your claim that i said ,and i quote ...

"?? He did start propecia and minoxidil 6 months prior BUT claimed his loss stopped at the same time he started them

... is infact an error on your part .

Also like I stated earlier , i feel that the undertones that I was a pushy patient are simply untrue , I was simply a patient placing trust in a Dr's ability to help my situation .

From the start of this thread ,which I have stated many times before , I have no agender and was only documenting my previous consultations when I was contacted personally , by phone , by your own patient co-ordinator , who challenged my version of events .

Since then I have felt I have had to defend myself from your clinic and even the moderator of this site .

Regaurding the FUE issue ,I feel I cannot constuctivly discuss this any further due to it being "my word against yours ", and we would simply end up "going round in circles" .

Also just for clarification for anybody reading this thread ,I never accused anybody of being unethical , I did ask the question to other forum members if "500 grafts by strip was ethical".

So in conlusion , I do think in my opinion ,due to the errors ,inconsistancies and admitted mistakes by your own patient co-ordinator that you didn't take my consultation very seriously , this could ,on your part ,be excused due to your precious time , however given the fact i payed ??45 to have an appointment i would have expected a little more respect for what could have been a future patient .

If you hadn't wished to help me ,or felt you couldn't have surgically helped my situation ,then you should have simply been honest and told me just that .

yours sincerly

richie

2100 crown grafts

Dr Feller

nov 2007

honesty is always the best policy hey richie, thank you very much for clarifying the facts surrounding your case, great to hear it from the horses mouth. shame you had to do it in the manner you did hey. i wish you well. people reading this will be able to understand it all now. icon_wink.gif

hi frog et all,

i am sorry if u have had a bad time with ur HT, i read some of the thread and i get the general message. but anyway i thought i would give my opinion & experience for everyones benefit. i have just added my latest pictures at 14 weeks - > see blog.

i had approx 3500 graft giving me 7k hairs. right now i feel i made the best decision in my life..i know it may sound a little sad, but i am becoming a much happier person every day that passes by now. i am very happy with Dr Farjo's work. i say the proof is in the pudding and right now i am tasting mine !!

i hope to be in same league as "Bobman" & Glock.

Thx B.

well, i thought i put regular pics up, really to put a fair complexion on things. i dont to get into any arguments with anyone here as we all share a similar problem and we have problems in life as a general...but hope our experiences can help others..

fs

ps: who racing anyway...happy growing geeza!

excactly ritchie,patient variables play a big part as well as dr,s opinions differing.

no two patients/dr,s are the same.dr farjo said he didnt feel comfortable doing a sizeable session on you given your hair characteristics/history,where as dr feller could see no problem.this is a difference of opinion nothing more.dr farjo is a surgeon but is also running a business and im sure would rather spend a day doing 2-3000 grafts than a 500 graft session,in my mind he must of had good reason to not offer a "normal"size surgery for you.

fs,no its not a race...cos you already won icon_biggrin.gif

2381 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2201 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2000+ fut Dr Bessam Farjo

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Bessam Farjo

challenge the unchallenged.

I'm glad you agree so wholheartedly balody .

This may or may not be a good example of differences of opinion , however , and i'm sure you'll agree , this whole issue could have simply been avoided from the start , had the clinic , Dr Farjo and his patient co-ordinator Mick Mchugh had simply been honest and said they couldn't have helped my situation .

So in a closing quote from the respected Dr Linsey ....

"So, there are lots of reasons for varying estimates; just make sure you have a doctor patient relationship and honest dialogue from the start."

richie

2100 crown grafts

Dr Feller

nov 2007

this whole issue could have simply been avoided from the start , had the clinic , Dr Farjo and his patient co-ordinator Mick Mchugh had simply been honest and said they couldn't have helped my situation

Richie,

But this isn't true and you know it. Just because you disagreed with HOW Dr. Farjo could help you, doesn't mean that he couldn't help you. You disagreed with his approach so you chose to have surgery elsewhere which was certainly your preogative. But to state that he couldn't help you is a lie.

Nowhere did Dr. Farjo or Mick say that they couldn't or wouldn't help you nor did they say that you ONLY need 500 grafts in the crown overall.

Dr. Farjo's approach was made clear above.

In summary, he wanted to wait to perform any surgery on your crown to see

1) what the medication would do on its own

2) to see how much more your hair loss would progress in the crown.

Had you insisted, he was willing to perform a small 500 graft session on the crown in order to give you a small improvement while monitoring the 2 items I described above. This would have left you plenty of donor hair for future work.

The issue isn't that Dr. Farjo believed that you required less grafts overall. He simply felt that waiting to transplant a LOT of hair in the crown was the best approach. Clearly there are differences as to what is the best approach here. And you adapted to the one that you liked best.

Many other surgeons will agree with Dr. Farjo on this approach including Dr. Beehner who wrote an article on Why Waiting to Transplant Hair in the Crown Might be a Good Idea.

Regards,

Bill

P.S. So there is no confusion, Dr. Lindsey is in Reston Virginia, not in Vancouver.

Yes Bill your right , i should have said .... "in my opinion" or "I felt that" ... then my words cannot be accused of being a lie , as it is no longer a statement and is infact just an opinion .

Dr Farjo was always aware of my goals and in my opinion , i feel that if Dr Farjo had disagreed with my choice of wanting more grafts at that stage ,then he should have simply said just that and refused to do the work .

Is that better Bill ?

I once again feel that I have to defend myself agaisnt your moderating and the Farjo clinic who , in my opinion have tried on many occasions to discredit me and question my version of events that day .

Bill , in my opinion , you are far to quick to accuse me of lieing ,this , in my opinion ,is a weak attempt to discredit me further , why you feel you have to do this I don't know , however ,in my opinion , it is obvious to anyone reading this thread .

I have said before to you Bill that I feel you have struggled to have an objective view on this subject , i have nothing to gain and no agender , but I will continue to defend myself against you and the Farjo clinic .

richie

2100 crown grafts

Dr Feller

nov 2007

Richie,

You make it sound as if you've been victimized when you were the one just caught making inaccurate statements.

You can't soften a false statement with "in my opinion" or "I feel" either. Either Dr. Farjo could have helped you or couldn't have.

There's no opinion about it.

Where opinion comes in is whether you agree or disagree with his philosophy to help you. That has already been made clear in your words and your choice to go elsewhere for surgery.

The fact remains that Dr. Farjo offered his medical advice and help in your case, but you refused his help. Again, that was your choice and you are entitled to it. But let's be accurate here.

So an accurate statement would then be that you didn't like the kind of help and advice Dr. Farjo offered and you chose to have surgery elsewhere. This is not an opinion. These are the facts of the case.

Rehashing this has no point and I don't care if you don't like me. I will defend what I believe in and what's right. If you are going to make a false statement, be prepared to be challenged on it.

You've already had surgery with Dr. Feller. I encourage you to focus on that and your new hair growth to come.

Bill

Bill I agree with everything your saying , I was wrong to say that and it was an inaccurate statement .

The facts are i didn't agree with what Dr Farjo suggested for my situation and made my own desision to go to another doctor .

Liking you has nothing to do with this and I'm not sure why you said that .

I hope our differences will not spill over onto other threads I may want to reply on .

richie

2100 crown grafts

Dr Feller

nov 2007

The facts are i didn't agree with what Dr Farjo suggested for my situation and made my own desision to go to another doctor

If you said that in the first place, I wouldn't have harped on you. I agree that this is what happened.

I have no personal dislike of you Richie. In fact, I only want the best for you. Despite what you may think of my moderating, I have genuine concern for all seeking hair transplant patients and want for them what I wanted for myself (the best possible head of hair possible).

I believe that Dr. Feller will get you there just as I believe Dr. Farjo would have gotten you there also. I have strong confidence in both clinic's ability and level of patient care.

I speak what is on my mind based on what I believe and what the evidence suggests. I have no reason to harp on you or have any negativity carry over as long as you state accurate information.

Best wishes,

Bill