Nutritional supplements cause hair loss?

Shyguy

I met with one of the recommended physicians from this site. He mentioned to me that weight lifters that take creatine and other such supplements can experience hair loss. This does not include protein supplements.

I'd never heard of this. Does anyone else have info on this?

I've been taking creatine for a long time and recently started experience more hair loss at the vertex.

Thanks

Using Propecia since 1997

Using Rogaine Foam once a day since 2012

Using Niazoral 2% once a week since 2012

Though it is always best to check with a physician, I have seen no evidence that Creatine, Whey Protein, or body building will negatively impact hair growth or facilitate hair loss.

Keep in mind that male pattern hair loss is genetic and hairs that are programmed to be predisposed to dihydrotestosterone (DHT - the hormone responsible for genetic hair loss) are going to miniaturize and die regardless of whether you take supplements or work out. Physical fitness however, keeps the body young, so by all means, I encourage you to be healthy and work your body hard to get in shape. The only thing I caution you to stay away from is steroids. Steroids are neither good for the body or the hair.

See more about Creatine and Hair Loss.

Best wishes,

Bill

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

A healthy diet rich in fruits and vegetables is the best way to start preventing MPB. Alot of fruits and veggies contain nutrients that promote healthy hair and block DHT in the scalp

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

There are many supplements out there, like DHEA, that can actually boost androgen levels. Not good for us folks wanting hair but are susceptible to DHT.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

• 2 weeks later...

I've also seen a study where Whey Protein CONCENTRATE, not the isolate, can actually improve hairs appearance.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

I've also seen a study where Whey Protein CONCENTRATE, not the isolate, can actually improve hairs appearance.

I've also read the study results from this Florida doctor. From what I gather, he suggests that Whey Isolate can exacerbate hair loss d/t MPB, whereas Whey Concentrate can actually halter hair loss and enhance nutrition to the follicle.

Is this true?

I have been taking Whey Isolate BID for the last month and have noticed shedding during the last 2 weeks (more than normal). During this time I have also started on 1.25mg Proscar and 12% minoxidil, so the shedding could very likely be from either of these two meds. I'm going to top taking the Isolate cold turkey and see if the shedding changes.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am an advocate for organic supplements or none at all. However, back in the day I have taken Whey protein and I did not experience any sort of problem.

However, I have read in this forum that people have had problems with this. I recommend people just stay away from this type of stuff.

I thought I read somewhere that there is mercury in mostly all supplements. Does anyone know the answer to that?

• 2 months later...

AmaninIndia,

From what I can gather (both from what I've read and my own personal studies) most supplements - protein, vitamins, etc (unless they are artificial hormones or alter your bodies own natural hormone levels) are probably unlikely to directly cause hair loss. Again, just my personal opinion.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Creatine, Whey Protein, or body building has no effect on hairloss. I take these supplements being that I lift weights.

600 FUE - 12/07 - Performed by Dr. Umar of Redondo Beach, CA

*****300 leg hair FUE implanted 7/12 to the eyebrows - 150 each eyebrow. Performed by Dr. Umar.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
creatine or whey does not have any effect on hairloss. only steroids will speed up your hairloss if you are predisposed to it.

This is right on the money IMO. Creatine does not convert to a hormone in the body, therefore does not affect hair loss. I was using creatine products for pre-/post workout for 10 years with no hairloss. Once I took the "pro-hormones" that were once legal but now banned, saw significant shed. I was also put on testosterone replacement therapy from Dr for low test issues and I lost a huge amount of hair loss in only a month..it was unbelievable how much I lost. I had a 2300 graft procedure by Dr Konior in 2008 (prior to the huge shed) and now only the transplanted hair remains on my frontal 1/3.

I am getting another from Dr Konior on May 30.

• 4 months later...
Guest Albertsmith

Issues that relate to the physical fitness those issues nee to be judged properly, as your internal body is concerned with is. If your physical body is fit and fine, then surely you get less problems.

• 2 months later...