Propecia at $88 per month?

Jjarden

wow thats really expensive. Personally, I pay around 20$ for a year of generic proscar.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11/04-07 - 800-1600 ish grafts - danish clinic - poor results

12/02-08 - 2764 grafts - Dr. Devroye - good result but needs hairline density

03/12-10 - 1429 grafts - Dr. Mohmand - result pending

Feel free to visit my picture thread

My Hair Transplant Photos - Surgery with Dr. Devroye

Young lads below 25 unite!

Propcia is a ripoff! I don't know how most people can afford it. Like Mike, I use generic Proscar and quarter it.

Mike, that's a great price! Mine costs me about $60 for the year but even at that price I can't complain.

Jjordan - you shouls ask your doctor if he'll prescribe Proscar insted of Propcia. Not all will.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Can I ask how you guys get a supply so low in cost?

Are you filling it at a regular pharmacy, or online? Is insurance covering anything or is it all out of pocket cost?

My insurance won't cover the Finasteride 5mg tablets, so I have to pay about $90 only for a 3 month supply!

Originally posted by tremblant:

Can I ask how you guys get a supply so low in cost?

Are you filling it at a regular pharmacy, or online? Is insurance covering anything or is it all out of pocket cost?

My insurance won't cover the Finasteride 5mg tablets, so I have to pay about $90 only for a 3 month supply!

The other guys are (probably) talking about the generic version of proscar (e.g. fincar and others). The non-generic version does tend to cost around 80 dollars for 4 months supply (I think this is OK, compared to the price of propecia).

I live in Arizona and fill the presciption at my local Fry's Pharmacy. The first time they charged me around $60 for 90 5mg pills. When I went back to refill at the end of the year the price had gone up to $90! I told them I didn't want to buy them and wanted to shop around. The guy in the pharmacy told me they price match and that I should check Costco so I did. Fry's matched the Costco price and I got my 90 pills for $56.77. When quartered that comes out to 4.73 per month. I can live with that.

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

CVS Pharmacy is a great place to get them and I just switched there from my local pharmacy. You can do it all online and if you are a stickler they even carry the brand name proscar. Just have a docotr call in the prescription or if you have the Rx number you just just switch it manually yourself. Its about 70 dollars in total. The best part is they send it right to your house, so you don't have to wait in line or make trips to the pharmacy every 3-4 months. Check it out.

Sorry, I'm still confused....

I thought Finasteride 5mg tablets (that is exactly what it says on my bottle) is the generic form of Proscar.

Is your medical insurance covering any of the cost? Or are you paying entirely out of pocket?

I have to pay entirely out of pocket, and my pharmacy (and also CVS) charges $90 for a 1 month supply (30 tablets) of Finasteride 5mg [which after splitting lasts 4 months].

Can someone please help clarify. I don't want to be paying $270 a year when I could be paying $4.73/month.

tremblant,

My insurance doesn't cover any part. It's all out of pocket. What I have is Finasteride 5mg Tablets. The label says generic equivalent of Proscar 5mg. Manufactured by Dr. Reddy's Lab. 90 pills cost me $56.77. This was the Costco price matched by my local pharmacy. Have you tried calling Costco or Sam's Club? It would be worth the price of membership if you can't find a reasonable price elsewhere.

Originally posted by TakingThePlunge:

tremblant,

My insurance doesn't cover any part. It's all out of pocket. What I have is Finasteride 5mg Tablets. The label says generic equivalent of Proscar 5mg. Manufactured by Dr. Reddy's Lab. 90 pills cost me $56.77. This was the Costco price matched by my local pharmacy. Have you tried calling Costco or Sam's Club? It would be worth the price of membership if you can't find a reasonable price elsewhere.

So basically my pharmacy, and the CVS I checked with, is charging me $270 for 90 pills, while your local pharmacy is matching Costco's $56 for 90 pills. WOW. I am definitely pursuing this further.

Originally posted by tremblant:
Originally posted by TakingThePlunge:

tremblant,

So basically my pharmacy, and the CVS I checked with, is charging me $270 for 90 pills, while your local pharmacy is matching Costco's $56 for 90 pills. WOW. I am definitely pursuing this further.

i am totally lost now. When I called Cvs they wanted 88 bucks for just 30 pills of 1mg Propecia. Now Ino I can buy 5mg generic propecia and 1mg generic propecia for cheaper.But I would much rather stay with the regular propecia.

Propecia and Proscar are the same drug. In 1mg form it's called Propecia. In 5mg form it's called Proscar. No difference except they charge through the nose for Propecia. Generic Proscar is much cheaper. You just have to cut the pill in four pieces.

Both Walgreens and CVS are charging around $80-90 for 30 pills of Finasteride 5mg, whereas Costco is charging $34.

Obviously I'll be filling my Rx's at Costco's from now on.

Thanks guys SO MUCH for saving me 100s of dollars.