Day 4 Post Op: Itchy and Paranoid!

Hi, I am on my fourth day post op from Dr. Ron Shapiro. I just finished the Graftcyte solution yesterday that came with my post op care regimen. Today my scalp is feeling dry, tingly, and itchy where the grafts are. Sometimes it even feels like it is pulsating. Is this just normal healing? There are times I have caught myself getting ready to scratch my head. I am paranoid I am going to mess something up. I am literally walking around on eggshells right now. How much activity is too much activity? Any advice or direction to other postings would be helpful. I haven't been sleeping well as I am nervous I am going to scratch my head in my sleep or that I am going to sleep wrong and affect the donor scar. Paranoid? Yes definitely so.

Hi, I am on my fourth day post op from Dr. Ron Shapiro. I just finished the Graftcyte solution yesterday that came with my post op care regimen. Today my scalp is feeling dry, tingly, and itchy where the grafts are. Sometimes it even feels like it is pulsating. Is this just normal healing? There are times I have caught myself getting ready to scratch my head. I am paranoid I am going to mess something up. I am literally walking around on eggshells right now. How much activity is too much activity? Any advice or direction to other postings would be helpful. I haven't been sleeping well as I am nervous I am going to scratch my head in my sleep or that I am going to sleep wrong and affect the donor scar. Paranoid? Yes definitely so.

Dear Edge,

Sorry to hear about this. Everyone heals differently and you're not an exception. You're already 4 days into the procedure so the grafts have pretty much settled but not healed is my understanding. DEFINITELY don't be aggressive on the grafts. Is the donor area also bothering you? If they closed the donor area with stapples they cna remove a few to alleviate some or most discomfort. As for the grafts area, maybe some light patting during your cleaning will help ease the discomfort. I'd follow up with your surgeon ASAP if it worsens. Otherwise just tough it out till your next visit. Don't be afraid to call your surgeon. There is no such thing as a stupid question ESPECIALLY not after a surgery. Take care.

Reyes

Medical Assistant to Dr. Parsa Mohebi

"ALL COMMENTS ARE MY OWN AND FOR THE SOLE USE OF EDUCATION AND UNDERSTANDING UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED"

thanks so much. I appreciate your input and will touch base with the Dr. on Monday. I think everything is fine I am just starting to get antsy after laying low the past few days. Plus I have a 2 year old son that doesn't really like dad resting for too long ;-) Thanks again.

Edge,

I am two days out from my HT and all is well with me. But, my HT doctor Dr. Cooley told me to call him on his personal cell phone anytime if I at all had any questions. So, if it is a concern to you call your doctor and he/she will give you the insight you need. Good luck and good healing. And by the way, I understand the child situtation I have 4 children under 8 years old.

Tony

thanks guys,

I am not ready to tie socks to my hands but darn close! I am just afraid I would scratch and rip some grafts out on accident. I am at day 5 today and looking foward to start massaging my head tomorrow morning. everything is very dry and the hair feels/sounds very brittle.

Tony, congrats on Day 2! and...Good Luck with 4 kids! Wow, you will have your hands full. My wife has been so terrific but she is 8 months pregnant so we are both struggling to keep up this week with a 2 year old that likes to wear a superman cape and climb the walls 24x7!

Stay in touch on your recovery. We can compare notes. Does anyone know of a day-by-day journal to follow on the healing/post op process? Not a surgical one but just personal experiences on what each day/week was like. If anyone does, let me know. I am obsessed with looking at my head now!

I am 6 days post op and had no problem wanting to itch until I read this thread. Just kidding. I guess I have been fortunate in that regard. I know you will contact your Dr. tomorrow but thought I would share what appears on Dr. Bernstein's web site, as an fyi.

"You can massage at 10 days post-op, as the grafts are firmly in place by this time, but I would not scratch the area for several weeks more, if at all. Itching can be lessened by applying hydrocortisone 1% ointment to the area twice a day and by taking Benadryl 25mg every 4 to 6 hours (may cause drowsiness). Both medications can be obtained over-the-counter without a prescription."

Edge and New2thissite,

Dr. Cooley gave me a hour by hour, day by day plan. This is what I was told by the great Cooley Team.

* 2 tylenol 500 mg every 4 hours

* 1 Meperidine 50 mg (for pain) every 4 to 6 hours if needed. I have been taking it just so that any pain does not start in the donor area. (I have 20 of them)

* 3 Pills of Prednisone 20mg for day 1, 2 pills for day 2 and 1 pill during day 3.

* 1 Keflex 500 mg twice a day (I have 14 of them).

* 1 Valium 10 mg at bedtime (I have a total of 10 of them).

*Vaso Dialator Spray use 4 times a day for 3 days.

*Regenexel gel in a spray bottle apply every hour until it runs out.

*Neosporin to the donor area in the AM and in the PM.

* 5X Laser hair treatment once in the AM and once in the PM for 15 minutes each time.

*start using the Rogaine 5% on day 3 since the HT procedure.

*On day 7 go back to Dr. Cooley and have them scrub the scabs away.

*At the 14 day period have the stitches removed.

That is what I was given. But I guess all good doctors have the own post-op game plan.

I just had HT with dr. Cooley and i have to admit that i am quite skeptical with the laser treatment as well.

I took a valium on the night of the surgery, because dr. Cooley told me, but i don't think i really need. No painkiller taken, no neosporin, no pain whatsoever. I do use the Regenexel gel to spray the recipient sites religiously though, once every 2 or 3 hours.

I am taking antibiotic for 7 days also.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley