Docs who shave recipient site verus those who don't.

Neptune

Gentlemen. I apprecaite all I have learned from you over the last few days. I'm going to set up some consults with other coalition doctors and look forward to this process.

I'm thinking about Epstein, Alexander and Shapiro for starters. Might look at others but gotta start somewhere. But, I do not have the option of shaving my recipient site, so I can only consider those docs who don't require you to shave. I'll of course call them to verify, but do any of you know if these physicians require you to shave your recipient site? Again, I'm going to have no more than 1500 to 2000 FUs mainly around the frontal hairline and top front to bulk up the only area that is thinning thus far.

Anything you guys know about these surgeons techniques or others who don't require shaving would be most appreciated!

Gentlemen. I apprecaite all I have learned from you over the last few days. I'm going to set up some consults with other coalition doctors and look forward to this process.

I'm thinking about Epstein, Alexander and Shapiro for starters. Might look at others but gotta start somewhere. But, I do not have the option of shaving my recipient site, so I can only consider those docs who don't require you to shave. I'll of course call them to verify, but do any of you know if these physicians require you to shave your recipient site? Again, I'm going to have no more than 1500 to 2000 FUs mainly around the frontal hairline and top front to bulk up the only area that is thinning thus far.

Anything you guys know about these surgeons techniques or others who don't require shaving would be most appreciated!

I think for 1500 to 2000 grafts, you will be ok not shaving the recipient site.

I am pretty sure that ALL the best docs want this area shaved, but are comfortable working around existing hair for sessions of this size, especially if the area being worked on is thin already.

I think you will be pleased with any of the Docs you have chosen to consult with.

Please let us know how everything goes!!!!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Neptune,

Good luck my friend...I'm glad to see your research is leading you to some excellent surgeon choices.

John,

Not sure about the clip number...I know I was shaved down to a 0...but as B Spot said...most docs are willing to do it without shaving, it's more a matter of at what clip number would compromise the surgery or at the very least, make it more difficult for the doctor during surgery.

Bill

• 12 years later...

I know this is an old thread but I'm looking to find out which doctors don't require shaving the recipient and donor sites.

I'm in NYC but would consider traveling to get to the best doctors, as I've seen many suggest on these boards.

I had an online consults set up with Dr. Rahal and I emailed them this question but they haven't responded. It looks like, from the posts of others, that Rahal does require shaving. 

I met with Dr. Dorin and he doesn't require shaving either.

I have a family member who got pretty nice results with Dr. Dorin and didn't shave his donor or recipient site. Dr. Dorin suggest FUT, since I don't have a super dense donor area. But, he said I would need two surgeries to get a dense hairline, that's why I would like to try Rahal or someone else to see if I can get a dense hairline with one surgery. He suggested 2000 grafts.

Thanks in advance for any replies. 

Ok...no shave of the recipient I get, but why the donor also? This is going to make the procedure not only more difficult but more costly. Most of the donor that will be implanted will shed for most people so those long hairs you transplant will be gone at 2-4 weeks post op.

ive heard doctors say it’s more difficult to transplant within a non shaved recipient but not impossible.

as far as surgeons, erdogan does long hair fue which sounds like what you are looking for. However, his reputation as of late on this forum hasn’t been stellar.

Thanks JJ and Phil for both responses. 

I met with Dr. Dorin since he doesn't shave either the donor or recipient. 

You asked why I don't want to shave the donor? It's tough to hide it, no? My hair grows pretty slowly, what do people do in the meantime?

Thanks, Phil.

I was not aware of how much or little is shaved at the donor site for a strip. I see your point. Then I really only need to be concerned with finding a good doctor who doesn't require shaving the recipient site. 

I like Dr. Dorin, just want to make sure I do my due diligence. 

Just to reiterate my question to all:

Who does good hairline work who also doesn't require shaving the recipient site?

Phil’s opinion is spot on (imho :))

Your first priority should be to find a good, reputable doctor that has a good portfolio as well as the best intentions for you. there are a number of doctors that can do work without shaving your recipient but I wouldn’t write off other good doctors that do not

Edited by jj51702