Does anyone know anything about Dr Ivan Cohen?

I'm in the Hartford CT area. I've been to Bosely, too much of a sales pitch there. I've also been to Dr Ivan Cohen, I dodn't know how up to date he is or know of anyone who has been to him. I'd like to hear from anyone who has had work done by him. At the same time can anyone recommened someone in the NYC,CT, or Mass. area.

thanks,

I'm in the Hartford CT area. I've been to Bosely, too much of a sales pitch there. I've also been to Dr Ivan Cohen, I dodn't know how up to date he is or know of anyone who has been to him. I'd like to hear from anyone who has had work done by him. At the same time can anyone recommened someone in the NYC,CT, or Mass. area.

thanks,

Dr. Cohen is on the "recommended list" at this website. Apparently Dr. Cohen is using the latest techniques. I don't have any personal experience with him, so I can't give you any feedback.

Regarding Bosley, I think you made a good decision, but not just because of their sales tactics. Look at this page that describes the "ultimate grafting technique" (which is not what Bosley uses): "Best Hair Transplant" You need to find a surgeon who specializes in this approach (microscopic dissection, and exclusively using "FU grafts", or at least used as the vast majority of grafts). This should be the basic criteria when looking for a surgeon.

If you are looking in New York City, I would suggest Dr. Bernstein.

You can see all the "recommended" doctors and get more specific information about them if you look at the "Find a Great Surgeon" page.

If I were you, I would try to consult with several of these doctors, and weigh your options carefully.

Hi,

I'm from Wallingford and have a consultation appt with Dr. Cohen in a coupla weeks. I have done a lot of reseach on hair transplantation and really have seen nothing on him myself. He is on the recommended physician list of this web site but after recieving information from the doctor, his literature still makes mention of minigrafts which are out of date. Maybe the literature is just old.

Anyway I have also been to an open house with Dr. Bernstien of New Hair Institute (www.newhair.com) in Fort Lee New Jersey (really close to the CT border) and was impressed with him. I am going for a one on one consultation with him on Wednesday. Bernstien seems to be one of the best in the country and I have read much abt him.

I have also not ruled out Ron Shapiro in MN. He is also one of the best in the field. It may be a long trip but its my head and you can only start doing this type of thing once and its best to get it right at the start!!

Jef

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> "It may be a long trip but its my head and you can only start doing this type of thing once and its best to get it right at the start!!"

EXACTLY RIGHT.

Either get a world-class doctor to do it, or don't get it done in the first place.

Because you only have one chance to get it right.

I am in the process of getting a crappy HT "fixed" and it is time-consuming, expensive, and will never look as good as it would have, if I would have gotten good work.

Do it right, or don't do it at all.

Don't use Dr.Cohen.I had a transplant with him in 1992 when I was 23 years old.I almost made the mistake of going again to him in 98 BUT once he charged my Bluecross for the "Free" consultation and he couldn't tell me how many grafts I had the first procedure I decided to wait.

Cohen just recently started using Follicular Units --- He can't quote a price per graft untill he sees you ---LOL ----Look on Pat's list and you'll see plenty of doctors who won't mislead you --they state there price per graft UP FRONT !

Even though all cases are different there is a set price guide most doctors use and would gladly tell a prospective patient about UPFRONT !!!

Don't be fooled by Cohen's slick talk

I live 20 minuets from his office and I flew to San Antonio to see Dr.Brad Limmer and I wasan't disappointed icon_eek.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I went to see Dr. Cohen of Fairfield yesterday and I was somewhat less impressed with him over Berstein. Pretty much, I have defuse hair loss a softball sized baldspot in the back and a receiding hair line abt 1 inch from origin.

I had previously been to NYC to the New Hair Institute where Dr. Bernstein had recommended 2000 FU's in one session for $6 a graft. I was able to talk to patients in the NHI waiting room who stated that the procedure was really not bad at all (one was like - the sitting up in the chair sucks but thats only the first few days) the other said even that was no big deal. Numbness was also no big deal to either of them. They both said he was the best. Dr. Bernstien was able to answer all my questions and seemed very knowledgable. In 20 years of practice he has never been sued and was really layed back abt the whole thing.

At Dr. Cohen's office there was no one on hand to talk to. Dr. Cohen, who would use "mostly" microscopic FU's with a few mini's, stated 2 sessions of 700 grafts ( for $7/ graph) would be needed. I was impressed with Cohen with respect to the time he spent with me and the care he took inspecting my scalp. He performs more HT's in CT that any other MD here and has been in practice for more that 25 years. He stated that he presented a coupla speeches at the conference in Chicago this past week.

All this said, I really think would really rather be done with it with with one session with Bernstien who I have read much more feed back abt and feel more confortable with.

The only thing I really liked abt Cohen's procedure more was the use of durable suchers vs. Bernstien's dissolvable stiches. I have read that the durable are better. Cohen said the dissolvable stiches will be still coming out of my head months later

I was wondering what is best to use, in all your opinions, - staples, dissolvable or non-disolvable stiches?? Thanks in advance for any advice.

PS. one thing I didn't realize with this whole thing was the backlog of appointments these guys have. Cohen is booking into the end of november and Bernstein - mid Feburary!! So plan ahead to do this!!

Thanks