Question For Ailene, Janna, or Anyone Who Knows

I know that I'm not supposed to use medicated shampoos for a while, but does the new Intensive Care Formula Head and Shoulders qualify as medicated. I haven't been using it yet, but I figured it would help with the recipient area itching if I pat it lightly on there, plus I like to use it before my normal shampoo/conditioner because it adds thickness and cleans surface DHT and such. Thanks, Jonathan

I know my doc said it was ok to use regualar head and shoulders post op. I would check just to be sure but off the top of my head I would think it was ok

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Yeah, it's just the "Intensive Care Formula" that sort of worries me as far as the no medicated shampoos rule goes, and it's like $1.50 more expensive than regular head and shoulders, which to me, hints at the possibility that it has something special going on, possibly medicated wise. Ailene will know, since she's the one who turned me on to it.

Your going to want to take it easy for a week or so before using the "hard stuff" icon_biggrin.gif

Use baby shampoo or something in that vein just to help keep things clean and help you work scabs loose.... then switch to the other stuff.

I think after your staples/sutures are removed its probably ok.

Take Care,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Spot is right. Use gentle shampoo's in this healing time. The medicated shampoo probably would cause no damage but it is always better to use caution. You can start back at one month with regular shampoo's.

Ailene

Ailene Russell, NCMA

Dr. Jerry Cooley's personal assistant and clinical supervisor for Carolina Dermatology Haircenter. My postings are my own opinion and may not reflect Dr. Cooley's opinion on any subject discussed.

Dr. Jerry Cooley is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

WeAreCured,

Everyone is right on with their posts. Using more gentler shampoo is better for the first week or so after a hair transplant. Some "harder" shampoos should be avoided for at least a month or so in my opinion as it can further irritate the scalp.

Personally however, I did use regular Head and Shoulders after my first hair transplant in order to help combat against itchiness. It is considered "medicated" but I didn't have a problem with it.

But if itchiness is your problem, using Aloe Gel on your scalp after the first week is probably better as it has a natural soothing effect.

Best wishes,

Bill