Pat - Community Publisher

Visit to Dr. Sanusi Umar in Redondo Beach, California

Like many members of this patient based community, I have been a BHT - Body Hair Transplant (transferring body hair follicles to the balding areas of the scalp) skeptic, largely due to this procedure being over sold and over priced by clinics other than Dr. Umar.

However, I have a newfound respect for Dr. Umar after having observed him perform surgery, viewed photos of his final result and learned about his dedication to personally doing such tedious FUE/BHT work at very modest prices. I now think he provides a very valuable service in particular to patients whose standard donor area has been depleted.

I was also impressed by the BHT/FUE presentation he gave to his colleagues at the last ISHRS annual scientific meeting. He presented BHT results without over selling their benefits, while pointing out their limitations.

With his background in cosmetic surgery and dermatology, Dr. Umar is uniquely qualified to perform hair restoration surgery. He is a true pioneer in developing an effective process for transferring body hair to the head with minimal scaring.

Part of Dr. Umar's passion for developing an alternative hair transplant process stems from a botched 400 graft strip session he personally endured years ago. His personal dedication has helped motivate him to do the extremely tedious work of extracting and placing all the grafts himself at very modest prices, while enduring unfair criticism from some of his BHT competitors.

Dr. Umar has been perfecting his FUE and BHT procedures since 2005 and has performed over 150 BHT cases to date.

Since recently meeting with Dr. Umar at his Redondo Beach office, I invited him to share more of his work on our discussion forum community. Some of his impressive restorations can be viewed by visiting:

10,000 Graft BHT case at http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/746...311069083#9311069083

3,000 FUE and Body Hair Grafts - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/showthread.php?t=146132

I enjoyed watching him perform surgery during my visit. It was very evident that Dr. Umar has developed a high level of skill in extracting and placing grafts and has a very smooth touch. He typically extracts the grafts by first scoring the skin surface with a punch that is 0.9mm or less in size. He then uses a needle to separate the base of the follicles from the surrounding tissues. This process minimizes the transection that might result if he simply attempted to excise the follicle by extending the punch down to the base of the follicle.

He then places the follicular unit grafts into lateral incisions that he creates using tiny custom cut blades. He likes to combine body hairs with scalp hairs, with the body hair acting as filler hair.

In his experience body hair tends to grow longer when on the scalp, but maintains the same hair characteristics that it had when on the body. Body hair also has a much longer dormant/resting phase, so more body hair is required to provide the same amount of coverage as normal scalp hair, which is only in the telogen dormant phase about five percent of the time.

I look forward to having Dr. Umar continue to share his life changing results with this community.

Below are photos of the surgery I observed during my recent visit.

The patient I observed had a 1800 graft strip surgery with Bosley two years prior. He wanted his hairline refined, his strip scar grafted with beard hair and density added to the overall balding area.

Dr. Umar used beard and head hair do his work. The patient received close to 3000 grafts total.

9831024183_A76C399ADF4420C8FECF486F239E04BD.jpg.thumb 8831024183_485882DCD481FE8F93355748ACF6E01F.jpg.thumb 7831024183_3D21CE82F8FE4AAC3491151BAB2DA79F.jpg.thumb 6931024183_ABE0B4284E27C0BBD819CD8556A938B0.jpg.thumb 6831024183_7FD94F682B3903809F7225C1DD37D9B7.jpg.thumb 5931024183_92002DC35D32B725AED18709C430C772.jpg.thumb 5831024183_2C00EE310E09E7256E715D881D52DCC0.jpg.thumb 4931024183_1ABD6BE65C49CD2E9D310734F9F19FD0.jpg.thumb 4831024183_BCC6569D4189E1FC43416C75612E17AD.jpg.thumb 3931024183_5622BF34184E43255592860A3B97CF19.jpg.thumb 2931024183_3D53D0B182D26AAA6B465AFC8BC240A1.jpg.thumb 1931024183_DBA33F75918149F38B43CE807F69B47C.jpg.thumb

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

View some of the Leading Hair Transplant Clinics that I have visited.

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

BHT has always been very fascinating to me, especially since I happen to be somehow closely related to the hairy backed gorilla icon_smile.gif.

Between chest, stomach, and leg hair, I have enough to fill my entire scalp. But like you Pat, I've been a skeptic for some time wanting to see consistency in results.

I have always felt that a certain level of skepticism while keeping an open mind is highly important, especially regarding hair transplantation. Just a short time ago, it was believed that nobody could perform sessions of over 1500 follicular unit grafts in a single session without splitting grafts. Now, it is commonplace to exceed 2500 follicular unit grafts in the hands of those who continue to advance and adapt to the latest techniques.

It's nice to see a surgeon such as Dr. Umar continue to work with BHT while recognizing and admiting its benefits and limitations without the hype and for a moderate fee.

I also like the idea of using body hair as "filler" hair since it is mostly donor dominant and remains in catagen (resting) longer than scalp hairs, thus never growing as long as scalp hairs.

I've been impressed with the results I've seen so far given each patient's individual circumstances. I look forward to seeing more BHT/FUE combination results from Dr. Umar on our forum community in the near future.

Best wishes,

Bill

this thread should be taken down since the pictures only end in a patient with scabs all over his head...there are no results with this patient.

no pain no gain

Rosopeeco,

Have you ever looked at any surgeon visit threads before? They are pictures from the day pat visited the clinics. They don't include follow-up pics.

Look at the two visits below...limmer and arocha's threads don't include follow-up pics either - why not comment on those?

Abe

Had 3k With Umar on Feb 16, 2009

My Hair Loss Website

I hope the result of the procedure in the posted photos will be updated. Sounds interesting as Pat witnessed it.

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

It was presented very well. Dr. Umar has "smooth hands" which enables him to extract nape hair sucessfully,. I am an example. Most HT docs cannot extract these hairs due to the precision required. I have nape hair in my hairline, and has five years. Still looking great. See below:

Atticus - :)

600 FUE - 12/07 - Performed by Dr. Umar of Redondo Beach, CA

*****300 leg hair FUE implanted 7/12 to the eyebrows - 150 each eyebrow. Performed by Dr. Umar.

Atticus is that you in the video? Hairline looks absolutely fabulous and mimics the natural hairlines due to the thin caliber of nape hair.

Yeah, sorry for the long delay. The message notification got buried under some of my many emails.

You are correct, hair caliber matches natures hairline perfectly. Nobody to date has ever suspected I have had work done, this is the mark of true excellence. Nape hair is very difficult to extract in tact, this is why most docs/if not all docs won't touch it. Once again, we have to realize the skill and artistic abilities of the surgeon are invaluable. Someone could have unlimited donor, but if this donor hair is in the wrong hands, it can be a disaster and deplete precious grafts. Also, this is why and expert in FUE BHT is vital in these types of cases.

Thanks for the kind words!

600 FUE - 12/07 - Performed by Dr. Umar of Redondo Beach, CA

*****300 leg hair FUE implanted 7/12 to the eyebrows - 150 each eyebrow. Performed by Dr. Umar.

BHT has always been very fascinating to me, especially since I happen to be somehow closely related to the hairy backed gorilla icon_smile.gif.

It's nice to see a surgeon such as Dr. Umar continue to work with BHT while recognizing and admiting its benefits and limitations without the hype and for a moderate fee.

I've been impressed with the results I've seen so far given each patient's individual circumstances. I look forward to seeing more BHT/FUE combination results from Dr. Umar on our forum community in the near future.

Best wishes,

Bill

We are all waiting for Dr. Umar posts HT results with body/beard hairs in the relevant section of the forum. This would be so interesting and informative to the community.

I love body hair transplants. Umar is the man! I would love to see more examples of his BHT work. Not many surgeons are performing this still. Why we grow hair all over and lose it on our heads is one of life's questions. We're not designed very well are we!

On 3/1/2020 at 11:53 AM, HairFunk said:

I love body hair transplants. Umar is the man! I would love to see more examples of his BHT work. Not many surgeons are performing this still. Why we grow hair all over and lose it on our heads is one of life's questions. We're not designed very well are we!

It's called the DHT conundrum! Hair everywhere, except where it counts.

I do not provide medical advice, recommendations, all responses are my opinion.

My Hair Transplant Journey

Melvin- Associate Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media Instagram @thehairtransplantnetwork FacebookPintrest, Linkedin and YouTube.