Tightness in the Scalp Post Surgery

I have had a surgery (mega session) 5800 grafts, 10 days back.

Since the surgery, the donor area has been very tight and now I feel very tight all over the scalp, as if I am wearing thousands of rubber bands on my hair.

Generally the tightness increases during the night time, when I am trying to sleep. Post surgery, I haven't been able to have a good sleep as I cannot sleep on my back due to sensitivity and pain in the donor area (scar) and tightness in the neck area.

Is this a normal thing? I was wondering when the tightness would go away as it really feels very awkward and sometimes scary.

I hope nothing has gone wrong in the surgery and if this would go away when the donor wound heals.

Your feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks

5700 Grafts, Dr. Hasson

I have had a surgery (mega session) 5800 grafts, 10 days back.

Since the surgery, the donor area has been very tight and now I feel very tight all over the scalp, as if I am wearing thousands of rubber bands on my hair.

Generally the tightness increases during the night time, when I am trying to sleep. Post surgery, I haven't been able to have a good sleep as I cannot sleep on my back due to sensitivity and pain in the donor area (scar) and tightness in the neck area.

Is this a normal thing? I was wondering when the tightness would go away as it really feels very awkward and sometimes scary.

I hope nothing has gone wrong in the surgery and if this would go away when the donor wound heals.

Your feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks

5700 Grafts, Dr. Hasson

That is a huge session you had. You NEED to call the doctor if you are having pain this far out.

I had my procedure five days ago and only had minor discomfort on the first night. My scalp is a little tight but no, let me stress, no pain whatsoever.

Please call the doc and get in to see him if you can.

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

have you had your stitches/staples out yet? That made a big difference for me. I had tightness for a few weeks and was told that I had excellent laxity and that was with only 3200 grafts so I can only imagine that its normal. Wouldn't hurt to call your surgeon and check with him. You'll sleep *alot* better after your stitches/staples are out.

- badger

3279 grafts with Dr Gabel - 06/12/08

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Gabel

Just came back from the clinic. Dr. Hasson had a good look at my donor area and says that it is heaaling very nicely. I got my staples removed on the 7th day post surgery. The doc was pretty impressed with the scalp laxity as I had done a lot of scalp exercises.

If it is a matter of 1-2 weeks of tightness, I am fine with that.

By the way, does sleeping posture have any effect on the tightness? From last few days, I have only been using one pillow. What would be the best posture to sleep for maximum healing and less dis-comfort?

5700 Grafts, Dr. Hasson

I had my surgery about 2 wks ago and I can empathize with the "rubber band" analogy. It hurts to tilt your head due to the tightness. I had my stiches removed yesterday and it feels 1000% better.....The sooner you can remove your staples or stiches, the better you will feel. Best of luck to you.

The tightness is so much better, I mean, lesser. The Problem I believe is the sleeping position. I started sleeping on 3-4 pillows again and the tightness has really gone down. Earlier, I used a single pillow for 2-3 days and that led to the extra tightness.

Dr. Hasson says that the head should be kept failry above the heart so that it doesn't get extra blood supply. That advice really helped.

I would recommend to us 3-4 pillows for 2-3 weeks, till he head feels better with less tightness.

5700 Grafts, Dr. Hasson

First, relax. Second check with your doctor. It is rare for a big problem to be going on this quickly and a quick check will exclude that.

Third, one man's severe tightness is another man's "normal". It is NOT that you are making too much of it, but you haven't been through this before and its an abnormal sensation.

Hey, I have the same problem with the dental visits. I am wimpy and don't chew on the filling for 2 months. Fortunately I operated on my dentist, who is equally neurotic, and gives me reassurance. That is what you need from your doc.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Scalp tighness and even numbness can be very normal. I experienced the same thing in my third surgery with Dr. Hasson. It took some time for my scalp to feel completely normal (almost 6 months), but it feels great now with a lot of returned laxity.

At only 10 days post-op, there is a lot of healing time left. Give it time.

Best wishes,

Bill