Looking to buy finasteride

SlickBlack

If the $69.50 is for 90 5mg pills, financially, it's practically unbeatable.

That said, I feel that patients should be very careful when buying any medication online. Some sites are certainly trustworthy, but others are not.

It's certainly better to pay more for legitimate pills than less for snake oil.

I don't know anything about the site you've linked to, but all I can say is - proceed with caution.

Best wishes,

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

Absolutely buy the Proscar 5mg and split into 4ths with a pill splitter-- TONS cheaper than Propecia.

SHOP AROUND AND SHOP AROUND!!!

Pharmacies charge different prices and depending on time of year, inventory stock, special pharmacia bonus contest, ect-- they can vary WIDELY! Sometimes your Mom and Pop family pharmacy might be cheaper. I remember shopping around for prices once and a small local pharmacy had price at $75 while Wal-Mart was $135 for the same drug!!!

PS__ 80% Of the time WAL-MART IS MOST EXPENSIVE. (they might be cheaper with retail items but make HUGE profits in pharmacy dept.)

Just shop around as there are huge mark ups in drugs at the pharmacy level (pharmaceutical companies actually sell the drugs to Wholesalers for about 65% less than what consumers pay for it) Wholesalers mark it up and sell to the pharmacies which mark it up again and sell to consumers.

Amazing how all you hear about drug prices are toward the pharmaceutical companies and not Wholesalers or Pharmacies. (my opion we should abolish drug wholesalers--middle men which would lower drug costs by 30% unless the pharmacies jack up the price to make more money)

SMOOTHY

Dr. Shapiro

Propecia & Rogaine xtra

MSM/Zinc/B6/Saw Pallmetto

3 oz Zrii daily

• 2 weeks later...

Bill (Flac),

I was told by Ailene at Dr. Cooley's office to split the 5mg of Proscar in 1/2 and take the 2.5mg half pill M-W-F. If you split the little proscar pill in 1/4's it is hard keep them in exact 1/4's. Do you take the 1/4 proscar pills everyday ?

Tony,

I take 1/4 pill for 4 days and skip the 5th day.

However, there are several different approaches and I know Dr. Cooley has written his thoughts on taking finasteride on this forum. I don't have the link handy, but I've recorded it and quoted it below:

-----------

"Propecia is approved by the US FDA for once a day use for hair loss. This does not mean it is the best dosage, only the one that was studied and approved. The average serum "half-life" of finasteride 1mg is about 5 hours in young men and 8 hours in older men. This does not mean that half of the medicine is out of your body in that time period though. The finasteride molecule is distributed throughout the body where it binds to the type II 5-alpha-reductase enzyme, thereby inhibiting conversion of testosterone to dihydrotesterone (DHT). Serum DHT is reduced about 65%, and less DHT means less balding. But several studies show that a single dose of finasteride suppresses serum DHT for 7 days or more (Eur J Drug Metab Pharmacokinet. 1991 Jan-Mar;16(1):15-21, J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1990 Apr;70(4):1136-41, Prostate. 1989;14(1):45-53). So the finasteride is leaving the bloodstream, entering the tissue throughout the body, and binding to the type II 5AR (5-alpha-reductase) enzyme, resulting in long lasting DHT suppression.

I do not "recommend" my patients take finasteride daily, every other day, twice weekly, etc. Rather I feel it is my duty as their doctor to advise them of the known facts about this medication. Most of my hair loss patients choose to take it on a Mon-Wed-Fri schedule, which is rational from my point of view. Many of my younger patients take it daily ??just to be sure' while my older patients are happy to take it two or three times a week. There are no clinical studies showing that less than daily dosing is as effective to treat baldness as daily dosing and for obvious financial reasons, the pharmaceutical company making finasteride has no incentive to fund such a study.

I hope this information is helpful. It is up to each patient to make an informed decision about which dosage is right for them.

Dr. Jerry Cooley"

-----------

I hope this helps.

Bill

Originally posted by TonySC:

Bill (Flac),

I was told by Ailene at Dr. Cooley's office to split the 5mg of Proscar in 1/2 and take the 2.5mg half pill M-W-F. If you split the little proscar pill in 1/4's it is hard keep them in exact 1/4's. Do you take the 1/4 proscar pills everyday ?

Tony,

I think one of us must have misunderstood, or our ages or something are different. Anyway, Dr. Cooley told me to cut the pill in 1/3, and take it M-W-F.

I must admit, though, it's hard as hell cutting that pill into 1/3's so maybe I'm the one who misunderstood. I think I'll look up his post on the subject.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week