is taking proscar/minox after a HT important????

For people that only have minor hairloss in their family, lets say NW3 at the most, is it necessary to use Proscar/minoxdil after a HT??

If the implanted follicles are not sensible to DHT to start with, then proscar and minox?

For people that only have minor hairloss in their family, lets say NW3 at the most, is it necessary to use Proscar/minoxdil after a HT??

If the implanted follicles are not sensible to DHT to start with, then proscar and minox?

Your family history is not a guarantee of what your own hair loss will be, so be careful. Baldness can skip generations, and it can vary among family members. For example I have two older brothers and we all have different levels of hair loss. The eldest has almost no hair loss, I have had a lot of hair loss. You can't use family history as a guarantee of anything.

In my opinion, Propecia is important (or Avodart) to inhibit the DHT. It is much more effective at retaining hair you still have than it is at regrowing lost hair. So I encourage you to consider using it for prevention.

Still, I realize every guy is different. I recommend that you work closely with your doctor on this issue.

What you really want to avoid if possible is getting a transplant, and then continuing to lose lots of hair. Because if that happens, even if your doc does a great job with the surgery, you will still not look as good as you would like to (and even possibly look quite bad).

arfy: thanks for your help.

I just had a HT with Dr. Bernard Nusbaum in Miami. HE gave me 1306 to my temples.

Thisis the thing, I have pictures of my dad, my grandfather, my grandgrandfather and my grandgrandgrandfather!! I swear to you I am not kidding!!!! And they all have more or less the same pattern of hairloss.

By the way, I have an identical twin brother with the same pattern as well, just less advanced since he did not use stereoids and I did 2 years ago.

Deadcactus

I don't think steroids "cause" hair loss, they just accelerate it if you are predisposed to having it. There are some guys who use steroids, who have never had a problem with hair loss, and (I believe) that it is because they are simply non-balding to begin with. Some people have the genes and can get away with it.

In your case, you might have just jump-started the hair loss process with steroids. Your brother might match your level of hair loss eventually, you just sped it up a little with your steroid use.

The worst-case scenario is obviously being a guy who is VERY succeptible to hair loss, and then using steroids. Not good!

I wanted to post about that in your other thread, and I never got around to it.

(I have no personal experience with steroids but do lift weights.)

Stablizing your hair loss is a very very good thing (obviously). If that happens for you naturally without Propecia, more power to you. Most guys will probably need to resort to DHT inhibitors or other medication to accomplish that, though. Keep a close eye on things (I'm sure you will...!) You need to retain as much hair as possible.