# of grafts per seession and scarring....

my question to vets and doctors regards these mega sessions that i often hear about... is it advantageous to transplant as many grafts as possible in a session and what effect does this have on scarring?? esssentially what im asking is if one were contemplating a transplant of about 500 to 900 grafts should it be done in one session?? and if further sesssions are needed in the future is the same donor site reopened so to speak, and what effect does this have on the scarring and healing of the donor site????

any educated response would be dearly appreciated.. thanx..

my question to vets and doctors regards these mega sessions that i often hear about... is it advantageous to transplant as many grafts as possible in a session and what effect does this have on scarring?? esssentially what im asking is if one were contemplating a transplant of about 500 to 900 grafts should it be done in one session?? and if further sesssions are needed in the future is the same donor site reopened so to speak, and what effect does this have on the scarring and healing of the donor site????

any educated response would be dearly appreciated.. thanx..

I think all the doctors have different ideas

here but I had 1500 per session and could have

had up to 2000. It all depends on how much you

can spend. I have learned this after 6000 grafts

and 5 years of experience. Start on the front area

and get it packed in to the density you desire

if you have a Class 5 or Greater . (Instead of

trying to spread it all over the head).

Greg D.

I have had two mega-sessions. First one was 3475 FU's. The second was 3,200 FU's. I am done for life. I am also now on Proscar/Finasteride.

• 4 weeks later...

As long as the grafts are handled carefully there is generally no reason to split 900 grafts into 2 sessions. 1 session of 900 follicular unit grafts is considered reasonable as a single session by most surgeons in the field.

B.L. Limmer, MD/jal

Dr. Limmer