rogaine only to hairline?

podge

Hi,im 22 and my hair has been receeding either side at the front of my head for the last two years or so.What is the effectiveness of rogaine for this area of the head without using any other drugs?i am wary of spending massive amounts of money on numerous drugs.i previously used rogaine for two months and noticed no difference so gave it up.Thinking of giving it a second go for a longer period this time but using the 5% solution and does this need to be taken once or twice daily?

Hello Podge,

when using any of the meds that come recommended by the members of this forum ,i believe at least six months is a good rule of thumb to evaluate its effectiveness.

The medication itself should have instructions on how much and how frequently it should be applied.

The 5% should be administered twice per day as per the label. However, several HT docs believe that once a day dosing is sufficient since the liquid or foam has a long enough half life.

I would consider the foam over the liquid. It's easier to use, less greasy and supposedly has enhanced absorption.

You can load up on good deals for the liquid or foam on ebay. I would give it at least 6 months before re-evaluating if it has provided any benefit for you.

I would suggest switching to Dr. Lee's xandrox formula which has azelaic acid which is clinically proven to inhibit DHT within the scalp. I've only been using it on and off like three times a week before I go to bed, but it has still regrown some hair in the front area.

Also consider using nizoral ketoconazole shampoo or dr. lee's own ketoconazole shampoo. If you do do this make sure you use a moisturizing conditioner because if you don't your hair can end up looking and feeling like crap.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Azelaic acid is not clinically proven as a hair loss treatment though some doctors "believe" in it. I agree however, that due to it's 5-alpha-reductase inhibitor properties, that in theory - it may work as a hair loss treatment. But there have been no formal clinical studies on Azelaic acid for hair loss - therefore efficacy and dosage is at best conjecture at this time.

However, I see no harm in trying Xandrox especially because it has the minoxodil component.

Read my article on Xandrox.

Revita shampoo also contains ketoconazole and is much gentler on the scalp.

Best wishes,

Bill

There are many cheaper items than Dr. Lee's. Items such as Nizoral shampoo ( Matt mentioned this) is very good as well as plain old Minoxidil . The difference in results would be a non factor between the designer products and the over the counters.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!