libido/L-arginine

I realize I need to give it more time, but just started proscar a week ago, and am noticing some of the sexual side effects. Question -- is there anything to using l-arginine as a supplement to help, or is that worthless?

I realize I need to give it more time, but just started proscar a week ago, and am noticing some of the sexual side effects. Question -- is there anything to using l-arginine as a supplement to help, or is that worthless?

L-Arginine helps the body produce Nitric Oxide, which is involved in getting an erection.

The issue here, however, is that the sexual side effects of Finasteride have nothing to do with N.O. Loss of libido is not going to be affected by NO, and even a problem getting an erection wouldn't be affected by N.O, because Finasteride has nothing to do with N.O.

So I don't think Arginine is going to help. But it is cheap, so it may not hurt to try it. But if it works for you, then maybe your problem may be more psychological than being due to Finasteride. I think it is possible that some guys can hear about side effects, and they might subconsciously expect them. I'm not suggesting you're an example of that, though.

I agree with Matthew, what I have heard is the side effects usually go away over a couple weeks' time. If they don't, think about dropping down to a half dose or taking it every other day... discuss this with your doctor.

You could also try Tribulis terrestis, an herb that stimulates your body to increase testosterone. That should help your libido, but it may be counter-productive for your hair.

I would try to ride this out, if you can.

If you want to try Arginine, try taking about 3 grams (3000 mg) on an empty stomach, with a glass of water. I recommend buying the capsules and not getting the tablets, the caps digest a lot better.

[This message was edited by arfy on November 30, 2003 at 10:41 PM.]

L-Arginine helps the body produce Nitric Oxide, which is involved in getting an erection.

The issue here, however, is that the sexual side effects of Finasteride have nothing to do with N.O. Loss of libido is not going to be affected by NO, and even a problem getting an erection wouldn't be affected by N.O, because Finasteride has nothing to do with N.O.

So I don't think Arginine is going to help. But it is cheap, so it may not hurt to try it. But if it works for you, then maybe your problem may be more psychological than being due to Finasteride. I think it is possible that some guys can hear about side effects, and they might subconsciously expect them. I'm not suggesting you're an example of that, though.

I agree with Matthew, what I have heard is the side effects usually go away over a couple weeks' time. If they don't, think about dropping down to a half dose or taking it every other day... discuss this with your doctor.

You could also try Tribulis terrestis, an herb that stimulates your body to increase testosterone. That should help your libido, but it may be counter-productive for your hair.

I would try to ride this out, if you can.

If you want to try Arginine, try taking about 3 grams (3000 mg) on an empty stomach, with a glass of water. I recommend buying the capsules and not getting the tablets, the caps digest a lot better.

[This message was edited by arfy on November 30, 2003 at 10:41 PM.]

Not sure if I'm sending this correctly, but I'd like Arfy's opinion on Dr. Bernstein. I had a consult with him last week and think I'll go with him after considering others. I'm 57, a Norwood 4A and he recommended 1500 grafts for frontal region.

So, any thoughts about Bernstein?

Thanks,

Newby

I try not to recommend doctors. What I do recommend is that guys read and learn as much as possible about transplants, so that you can make an informed decision on your own.

Even the best doctors have some patients who are not completely satisfied. Nobody bats 1000. I would never want to be in a position where someone was unhappy with their transplant, and it was all because of what I recommended.

I have made some recomendations in the past to guys who needed repair work. This is a little different than what you are asking about. Repair patients actually need to have surgery, in many cases. A first time patient does not actually need surgery.

Sorry if this seems like a cop-out, but I don't have a good track record with transplants. I am not a success story. How can I recommend a doctor when I have had mostly terrible and dissapointing experiences? If you want to know what to watch out for and what to avoid, that is something I can comment on.

If you look at the threads where people ask which doctor is the best, you will see that I never reply. Not because I don't have an opinion on which guys are best, but because I don't feel like it is my place to send other guys into surgery. My experiences are mostly as a repair patient. That doesn't really translate as far as what information you're looking for.

I'm sure other guys will be able to give you feedback on Dr. Bernstein, you should start a whole new thread, because some guys might not read this libido thread and see your question. Try doing a search in the forums on Bernstein, too.

Newby

I got your email, and I wrote you back.

I still suggest you might want to start a new topic for your various questions and concerns.

There are a whole bunch of guys who might give you some feedback. I think it helps to get a variety of responses.