Ht's and Infomercials

Jozef

Hey when was the first time you guys saw HT advertisments on T.V. ?

My first recollection were the Bosley commercials around the mid 90's which i almost got sold on but thankfully i didnt have the funds at the time.And then towards the late 90s MHR started reeling out the ads like crazy too.

How about in the 70's and 80's were there any clinics doing these silly infomercials ? How were these blatently obvious big plugs "sold" back then ?

Hey when was the first time you guys saw HT advertisments on T.V. ?

My first recollection were the Bosley commercials around the mid 90's which i almost got sold on but thankfully i didnt have the funds at the time.And then towards the late 90s MHR started reeling out the ads like crazy too.

How about in the 70's and 80's were there any clinics doing these silly infomercials ? How were these blatently obvious big plugs "sold" back then ?

I don't recall any TV ads until the early 90s... "Chambers Institute" for example.

Before then, it was ads in the newspapers, magazines, radio, yellow pages, etc.

There used to be a law that doctors could not advertise on television, but in the mid-80s it was overturned. Same goes for lawyers, too.

Notice that most of the lawyers who advertise on TV are sleazy "ambulance chasers"? The same often goes for doctors, too. Legitimate doctors usually think it is beneath their dignity to advertise. But many HT docs are just interested in profits, more than anything else.

I saw an infommercial put on by Dr.Distefano over the weekend. It featured a young couple, casually paddling around in a canoe talking about the procedure. The script was so contrived (what else is new) and included this awful backround music. Somehow I expected them to tear off the clothes at one point and have at eachother.

Maybe if these spots had a little more substance, they'd be taken more seriously and wouldn't reflect so negatively on the clinic. On the other hand, maybe they'd attract less of an audience.

Uncjim's Journey

"Temples 'n Crowns Forever"

Uncjim's Hair Loss WebLog

I think Arfy is right. Hair infomercials weren't around in the big plug days.

But before Bosley, I remember seeing Nuhart commercials featuring Dan Haggarty, of Grizzly Adams fame. Later, they added the drummer from the Doobie Brothers.

I almost got sucked in by the Bosley infomercial. I got the video tape in the mail. I went to their location which is in a very expensive suite near pricey Lenox Mall in Atlanta. The doctor told me it was going to cost me about $40,000 to get good results and wanted me to start with a reduction in the crown. I scheduled one but later cancelled it. I'm really glad I didn't go that route.

I did however go back to Dr. Chambers even though I never saw any commercials that he was in. I got my first HT from him in 1983 and as you can imagine, they were pluggy grafts. When I went back for more work, he was doing mini's (I think I've had every size that has ever been offered). I'm sure that if Dr. Chambers was still alive he would be doing FUTs, maybe even FUEs.

JohnH:

Haha! I got the Bosley and MHR videos (too)!

I think they are a MUST WATCH for any prospective HT patient.

Why? Because they show you how most of the industry is run and how wishy-washy and deceitful it can be.

And AFTER you get your procedure done with a top doc, watch them again. Have a good laugh on them!

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.

The videos are actually pretty good at showing the process of HT without showing the blood and scabs. What they don't tell you is that your are going to pay twice as much as you should. $10 a graft was an ok deal a few years ago when mini grafts were the norm. Of course you weren't getting the best looking results. Now that even MHR and I suppose Bosley are doing smaller grafts (micros and singles) they haven't lowered their prices.

I guess running infomercials on TV costs a lot of money. That's what you pay for when you pay that extra $5 per graft.

There should be a disclaimer that goes with these ads as I beleive they are harmful to alot of people that have not found this site before making their decision and think that a hairtransplant is a simple commonplace procedure.Which it isn't.

"The first cut is the deepest." Cat Stevens