Using minoxidil immediately after transplant

• Administrators

Note - This message was recopied by Pat the editor from the original discussion group to this vastly improved online community.

The name of orginal poster and the date posted are listed below:

Date: 3/20/01

Time: 8:29:22 PM

Remote Name: 24.0.104.173

Comments

I had 2000 grafts done 5 days ago. I used Graftcyte until I ran out so started using a small amount of 2% minoxidil sprayed on lightly. I have never had any irritation from 2% and don't have any now. Has anyone tried this and does it sound like a good idea? I am hoping to skip the resting phase of the transplanted follicles which is why I also used massive amounts of minoxidil on the donor site for a month before surgery. Any thoughts, experience, or comments?

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

• Administrators

Note - This message was recopied by Pat the editor from the original discussion group to this vastly improved online community.

The name of orginal poster and the date posted are listed below:

Date: 3/20/01

Time: 8:29:22 PM

Remote Name: 24.0.104.173

Comments

I had 2000 grafts done 5 days ago. I used Graftcyte until I ran out so started using a small amount of 2% minoxidil sprayed on lightly. I have never had any irritation from 2% and don't have any now. Has anyone tried this and does it sound like a good idea? I am hoping to skip the resting phase of the transplanted follicles which is why I also used massive amounts of minoxidil on the donor site for a month before surgery. Any thoughts, experience, or comments?

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

• Administrators

Date: 3/30/01

Time: 8:37:17 PM

Remote Name: 24.169.213.198

Comments

You asked about experience with using Minoxidil (Rogaine) before or after transplants and the possible benefits. Over the past five years I have heard anecdotal reports by other hair surgeons that using topical minoxidil for a month before and after a transplant could be beneficial. The principle benefit that has been described has been that of helping prevent "shocking" to the existing hair in the area being transplanted, especially the hair there that is somewhat "weak" (vellus), and also for those persons who have had a lot of work on their scalp and in whom the blood supply may not be so good. It is thought that it might help "prime" that blood supply and offer additional insurance that the new grafts will take and grow. I use it presently in two situations: First, in all of my women paients I use it for the purpose of preventing shock to the existing hair. Secondly, I use it as I just mentioned, on those persons who have had three or more transplant (or reduction) sessions either somewhere else or by me. One very well-known French doctor has his patients all use it for six weeks before the transplant procedure and he feels it is of benefit. I am not aware, however, of any reports that it allows the transplanted hair to all start right off growing without taking the usual three month "rest". Hope that helps. Mike Beehner, M.D. Saratoga Springs, N.Y.

My Hair Loss Blog