Redness on scalp after a HT

Hello, I am just wondering how long the "redness" lasts on your scalp after a HT so people wouldn't know.

I work in an office but in my current position can still get away with wearing a hat even though it's "frowned upon" but I'd like to know when I can lose the cap safely.

Thank you.

Hello, I am just wondering how long the "redness" lasts on your scalp after a HT so people wouldn't know.

I work in an office but in my current position can still get away with wearing a hat even though it's "frowned upon" but I'd like to know when I can lose the cap safely.

Thank you.

Honestly, the area is red or pinkish for 2-3 months, but even if the redness fades, the area will be unsightly until significant new growth has emerged. I lost the hat around 5 1/2 months which was the point where new growth did not look abnormal and was roughly equivalent to the remaining native hair I had before the surgery.

Unsightly? Each incision leaves a tiny divot that will diminish in appearance over time and as hair starts to grwo, but until about 5-6 months, your scalp will look "rough".

You will go through a difficult period. Because of the strip removed in back, your side an back hair will be long and unkempt to hide the healing strip.

It just doesnt look normal until the new hair has started to grow in significantly.

If you have alot of native hair or a small procedure, you may look normal alot sooner.

You have to decide if you are going to hide for 5+ months, or are comfortable with everyone knowing. They will figure it out eventually so maybe you shouldnt hide it.

If you have native hair on top that is going to be shaved down for the procedure, I would recommend buzzing the top and sides very short so everyone gets used to seeing you bald. Do this about 2 months before the procedure so the hair has grown out enough to cover the scar. This way there will not be a drastic change in your appearance when you return. As soon as the redness fades, you can probably loose the hat.

Good luck.

Imissme,

As indicated by the above posters, experiences vary with postoperative redness. I've had 3 hair transplants and extended redness up to 5 months after my second surgery and 4 months after my 3rd. My first hair transplant wasn't as densely packed and postoperative redness was minimal and gone within a couple weeks to a month.

Some patients are lucky and either don't experience it at all, or it goes away quickly. It appears that those with fairer skin may be more vulnerable to extended redness.

In time though, it will go away. In the meantime, if you can't wear a hat in the office too long, you could consider some concealer as long as you are at least 2 weeks out from surgery.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Bill

I have had four procedures and did not have any redness issues on the first three after about a week. I also started with a fair amout of hair and all the grafts were placed behind my hairline and in my mid-scalp. I have had the same luck with my recent forth procedure except that my temples were done. They are still very red 16 days post op but this is a delicate area. The rest of the grafts were pretty scab-fee and normal in color after 7-10 days.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I'm hoping I'm one of the lucky ones who has the redness go away quickly. I can't say how tired I am of wearing ball cap already so I will definately use some concealer if i can get away with it.

Luckily, my head is already shaved but I've been growing it out a little since my surgery is in October and I'd like to cover the scar somewhat initially. Dr.Rahal does some good work with the scar so I'm cautiously optimistic it will look alright.

Bill, what concealer would you recommend? I've been looking at Nanogen recently and was considering giving it a shot post-op.

Any other suggestions? Does Nanogen work well? I will probably keep the hair short for the first six months or so, if that factors in to any of the choices for concealers.

Many thanks.

10-12 days and you can use some Dermatch to cover the area if you have some exisiting hair

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Dermatch. I've heard differing opinions on this stuff. It's not shoe polish is it?

I'm open to anything but I'll be wearing it short for some time and I do have some existing hair so would that be my best bet? I'm a patient man so having said that, I'm pretty good with concealers.

spex and the aloe vera gel icon_smile.gif..listen to the man..its great and really helps with the itch too.

I lost the hat at around 1.5 months. Dermatch and toppik really help..i have some pics with the stuff on my blog. I'd recommending practicing with the stuff for a few days before going out in public. When done well its virtually undetectable, but when done badly it can look terrible.

- badger

3279 grafts with Dr Gabel - 06/12/08

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Gabel