FALCEROS-QUESTION?

Hey Bro,

Thanx for all the great answers and time you put in to this forum. Was wondering, I got a prescription from Dr. Bernstein in New York for Finasteride. To take a 4th of a pill a day, I've read so many bad things about the side effects, that it's been four months now and I still haven't filled the script. I was considering an HT with either Bernstein, Feller[scheuled to see] and now I'd like to go see your guy Hasson. I mean, what do you do? I've read that taking this stuff can also help shock loss etc. But what if you don't take the meds? Also, Is the consensus to shave the receiving area? And how long till the new hairs start to grow? I've read 3-4 months...I assume the older hairs will keep growing asap.

Will these meds also help future thinning?

Alot to ask, But always appreciate any insight and knowledge that you have

Thanx again

Shmutzydawg

Hey Bro,

Thanx for all the great answers and time you put in to this forum. Was wondering, I got a prescription from Dr. Bernstein in New York for Finasteride. To take a 4th of a pill a day, I've read so many bad things about the side effects, that it's been four months now and I still haven't filled the script. I was considering an HT with either Bernstein, Feller[scheuled to see] and now I'd like to go see your guy Hasson. I mean, what do you do? I've read that taking this stuff can also help shock loss etc. But what if you don't take the meds? Also, Is the consensus to shave the receiving area? And how long till the new hairs start to grow? I've read 3-4 months...I assume the older hairs will keep growing asap.

Will these meds also help future thinning?

Alot to ask, But always appreciate any insight and knowledge that you have

Thanx again

Shmutzydawg

schmutzydawg,

Before jumping into hair transplant surgery, I recommend taking some time and doing some research.

Medication:

You would take 1/4 pill a day if you have a prescription for Proscar and 1 pill a day if you have a prescription for finasteride.

To learn more about the differences between Propecia and Proscar click here

Regarding side effects, yes they are possible. Many take finasteride without side effects though some do experience them. According to Propecia's website, in the event you experience side effects, they are reversible once the medication is stopped.

Medication should be tried for at least a year to determine it's benefit.

Hair Transplant Surgeon

You are on the right track with your selection process.

Selecting among elite hair transplant surgeons is a subjective process. My advice is take some time to view before/after pictures of these physicians' hair transplant patients posted by patients and draw your own conclusion as to who fits your needs the most.

I recommend you read How do I choose a hair transplant doctor?

Surgical Questions

Some doctors require shaving the recipient area while others do not. Personally I feel that shaving the recipient area is beneficial, creating less risk of transection while ensuring proper angling of the transplanted hairs. Some will disagree with me on this point.

You can read Dr. Hasson's point of view here

New hairs will shed between 2-4 weeks and will begin to grow back between 3-5 months. Maturation is between 12-18 months. Native hairs may or may not be shocked. Click hhere to learn more about shockloss and how it can impact you.

I hope this helps.

Bill

Great,,thanx for the help.Answer's alot of questions....what do make then of Dr. Bernstein giving me Finasteride script and saying only use a quarter a day?..Also, are places in Canada a viable source for getting the meds to save some money?..My script was like 300.00 for the year..Canada was alot less..I am on my way in a month to see Dr. Feller,see what he has to say...Hasson, don't know when,but I'd really like to see him..Guess shaving would be the way to go.It does make alot of sense

Thanx again and again

Shmutzydawg

From what you've heard and seen. How much hair growth can one obtain from taking meds?...Or is it more like, Just be happy with maintaining what is left? My problem and mostly frontal with a bit in back..Plent of donor hair as Dr. Berstein said, "You have a nest back there." Which is a good thing

Thanx

Shmutzydawg

schmutzydawg,

finasteride is the active ingredient in Propecia and Proscar. Do you have a prescription for Proscar or Propecia? See my link above which explains the difference. 1/4 pill per day of Proscar is normal - he probably prescribed you Proscar.

Finasteride is pretty good at slowing down or stopping future hair loss. It is more rare for miniaturized hairs to thicken and grow back - but it can happen. Don't look for miracles but it may just help you.

Bill

Hey Bill,

The prescription actually says

Finasteride 5 mg #100 1/4 tab p.o. daily

So what do make of that?..

Ya know when i talked to Dr. Berstein, as nice as he was and I know he has a great reputation. There were still alot of unanswered questions. I feel like I'm getting more help from you and this forum. Even the people that worked there make it seem like it's a cakewalk. They never got into stuff like,shock loss,shaving the area possibly, how long to take meds before surgery,

etc.It was obviusly consultation day at the office, and I don't know if it was like,rush rush or what.. When I was there, they had a cancelation and asked if i would like to fill the spot..

As much as i want to do this and just get it over, I don't want to make any huge mistakes either...I guess that's why we're here

Regards

Shmutzydawg

shmutzydawg,

5mg of finasteride = Proscar = 1/4 pill a day is perfectlly acceptable icon_wink.gif.

Regarding physician selection - I think it's important to go to a doctor that you are comfortable with. Though I feel confident in Dr. Bernstein's skill level being a coalition doctor, if you are uncomfortable with him choose another. I certainly agree that you should not rush into anything and certainly a clnic should not be pushing you. Offering the spot of a cancelation is not in itself a bad thing - but clearly you have more to learn before diving in hair first icon_wink.gif

I always recommend consulting with at least 3 of our coalition doctors anyway.

Good luck,

Bill