My experience with SMG with Dr Rose.....3 days post op

TRESNHVN

Since I had received much of my HT research from this forum I thought I would share my experience. This is a little long and detailed but something like this would have been helpful for me.

After a few weeks of research this summer I decided to go with SMG, I was lucky they had a local office though that wasn't a deciding factor.

I'm 36 - Norwood 5ish.

The initial consultation was mostly just a review for me since nothing Matt told me was new to me. They would take @2000 grafts and place them on the frontal half of my scalp to get to about 20fu. He then took my initial deposit and setup the surgery appointment.

I got my blood work done that same week at a recommended clinic by SMG. What I didn't know was that SMG should have been sent the bill. The clinic sent me the bill which I paid, then at time of the surgery I was billed again by SMG.

The SMG staff gladly took the clinic receipt and will contact the clinic to get my refund back since its charge was a lot more then what SMG is billed for. I was glad they took the ball on that, since I hate dealing with stuff like that.

As for my surgery appointment, they are currently scheduled about 3-4 months out which I kind of expected since it looks like they only do about 1 or sometimes 2 HT a day.

About 2 weeks before my appointment I called SMG to confirm my appointment. I found out later this shouldn't of been necessary since they send out a confirm letter (which I forgot they told me about but never received one). Anyway when I called, they didn't have me scheduled, they had record of me setting up the appointment but it never was entered on the calendar.

The receptionist was very concerned and apologetic about it (I kind of felt sorry for her). She had Matt call me back ASAP to discuss it. Matt called back within 10 min and was also very concerned and apologetic and said this has only happened one other time. Matt was very persistent on what my concerns/feelings were even though I told him it's no big deal. I had no travel plans and my work schedule can change on the fly. It's almost like he didn't believe me and kept really trying to understand my feelings on the whole thing.

I told him to schedule me at the next opening (3 months out) and if an earlier one pops up give me a call. He said he would deduct some of the cost and would talk with Dr. Rose about it. They would also try and graft/harvest more then 2000 at no extra charge.

Anyway, a week later Matt called me and he had an opening in 2 weeks in which I jumped at. I got the discount price plus 2400 grafts! I was very satisfied on the resolution.

As for the procedure: The whole routine lasted from 8:30 to 4:30. You fill out one final medical form. I met with Matt and paid the remaining balance (duh). Matt took some before pictures of me. Then I sat down with Dr. Rose to discuss my blood work and other medical stuff and the procedure. He did let me know that he was aware that my original appointment was missed scheduled. I think he was trying to gauge how I felt about it, I just joked with him about it.

He then led me into the HT room and introduced me to the technicians. (I didn't realize I would be in the same room that the 4 to 5 technicians were to do the micro cutting). I removed my shirt and put on a gown. Dr. Rose then took more pictures of me. He then started measuring and drawing on my head and asked if I agreed on what layout he was planning. He then measured and did a hair cut of my donor area. At this time they took my lunch order, which was my toughest decision of the day icon_smile.gif

I then leaned over face down on a special pillow and they cut out my donor area and sutured it closed. This was a little painful but it was my fault for not asking for more antistatic before they started cutting. They asked me plenty of times by probing the area if I felt anything. I guess I think I'm tough of something.

They then sat me in the chair and gave me some pills and antistatic over the scalp. Dr. Rose made all the incisions while the technicians start splicing away. By the time the incisions were done it's was lunch time. After lunch 3 technicians starting placing the grafts. I've never had 3 women fighting over my head before, kind of strange. I did get a little hot with 3 bodies standing around me. I could have watched a movie but had a fun time talking to the technicians. Dr. Rose would come in periodically and check on things, he did do some final graft placements. They take calculations on the number of potential grafts a couple times, the first estimate was around 2100 but that changed to 2400 by the end.

Couple of things I would do differently, ask for more anesthesia when I started to feel some pain and take more bathroom breaks. The technicians kept asking me how I was doing so it wasn't their fault, just my stubborn self.

I drove myself to the HT and one of the pain pills they gave me did make me dizzy when I would stand or walk. Luckily it didn't seem to effect my driving (I guess I should ask the other drivers around me). I haven't told anyone that I was getting this done so I didn't ask anyone to drive me.

I came back the next day to have my first shampoo. Was funny, all the technications said hi to me by name and wanted to know how I was doing and some took a look at my it, that was kind of cool. After the shampoo Dr. Rose took one more look at me and now I just have to go back next week to get my sutured removed.

My post op experience has been smooth, no problems. I'm really glad I went with SMG, I guess you could say I put them to the test with some of the problems I had. They came through for me with flying colors. I'll be going back to them if I do anymore HT.

Hope this "walkthrough" helps someone out on what to expect, at least at SMG.

Thanks

Since I had received much of my HT research from this forum I thought I would share my experience. This is a little long and detailed but something like this would have been helpful for me.

After a few weeks of research this summer I decided to go with SMG, I was lucky they had a local office though that wasn't a deciding factor.

I'm 36 - Norwood 5ish.

The initial consultation was mostly just a review for me since nothing Matt told me was new to me. They would take @2000 grafts and place them on the frontal half of my scalp to get to about 20fu. He then took my initial deposit and setup the surgery appointment.

I got my blood work done that same week at a recommended clinic by SMG. What I didn't know was that SMG should have been sent the bill. The clinic sent me the bill which I paid, then at time of the surgery I was billed again by SMG.

The SMG staff gladly took the clinic receipt and will contact the clinic to get my refund back since its charge was a lot more then what SMG is billed for. I was glad they took the ball on that, since I hate dealing with stuff like that.

As for my surgery appointment, they are currently scheduled about 3-4 months out which I kind of expected since it looks like they only do about 1 or sometimes 2 HT a day.

About 2 weeks before my appointment I called SMG to confirm my appointment. I found out later this shouldn't of been necessary since they send out a confirm letter (which I forgot they told me about but never received one). Anyway when I called, they didn't have me scheduled, they had record of me setting up the appointment but it never was entered on the calendar.

The receptionist was very concerned and apologetic about it (I kind of felt sorry for her). She had Matt call me back ASAP to discuss it. Matt called back within 10 min and was also very concerned and apologetic and said this has only happened one other time. Matt was very persistent on what my concerns/feelings were even though I told him it's no big deal. I had no travel plans and my work schedule can change on the fly. It's almost like he didn't believe me and kept really trying to understand my feelings on the whole thing.

I told him to schedule me at the next opening (3 months out) and if an earlier one pops up give me a call. He said he would deduct some of the cost and would talk with Dr. Rose about it. They would also try and graft/harvest more then 2000 at no extra charge.

Anyway, a week later Matt called me and he had an opening in 2 weeks in which I jumped at. I got the discount price plus 2400 grafts! I was very satisfied on the resolution.

As for the procedure: The whole routine lasted from 8:30 to 4:30. You fill out one final medical form. I met with Matt and paid the remaining balance (duh). Matt took some before pictures of me. Then I sat down with Dr. Rose to discuss my blood work and other medical stuff and the procedure. He did let me know that he was aware that my original appointment was missed scheduled. I think he was trying to gauge how I felt about it, I just joked with him about it.

He then led me into the HT room and introduced me to the technicians. (I didn't realize I would be in the same room that the 4 to 5 technicians were to do the micro cutting). I removed my shirt and put on a gown. Dr. Rose then took more pictures of me. He then started measuring and drawing on my head and asked if I agreed on what layout he was planning. He then measured and did a hair cut of my donor area. At this time they took my lunch order, which was my toughest decision of the day icon_smile.gif

I then leaned over face down on a special pillow and they cut out my donor area and sutured it closed. This was a little painful but it was my fault for not asking for more antistatic before they started cutting. They asked me plenty of times by probing the area if I felt anything. I guess I think I'm tough of something.

They then sat me in the chair and gave me some pills and antistatic over the scalp. Dr. Rose made all the incisions while the technicians start splicing away. By the time the incisions were done it's was lunch time. After lunch 3 technicians starting placing the grafts. I've never had 3 women fighting over my head before, kind of strange. I did get a little hot with 3 bodies standing around me. I could have watched a movie but had a fun time talking to the technicians. Dr. Rose would come in periodically and check on things, he did do some final graft placements. They take calculations on the number of potential grafts a couple times, the first estimate was around 2100 but that changed to 2400 by the end.

Couple of things I would do differently, ask for more anesthesia when I started to feel some pain and take more bathroom breaks. The technicians kept asking me how I was doing so it wasn't their fault, just my stubborn self.

I drove myself to the HT and one of the pain pills they gave me did make me dizzy when I would stand or walk. Luckily it didn't seem to effect my driving (I guess I should ask the other drivers around me). I haven't told anyone that I was getting this done so I didn't ask anyone to drive me.

I came back the next day to have my first shampoo. Was funny, all the technications said hi to me by name and wanted to know how I was doing and some took a look at my it, that was kind of cool. After the shampoo Dr. Rose took one more look at me and now I just have to go back next week to get my sutured removed.

My post op experience has been smooth, no problems. I'm really glad I went with SMG, I guess you could say I put them to the test with some of the problems I had. They came through for me with flying colors. I'll be going back to them if I do anymore HT.

Hope this "walkthrough" helps someone out on what to expect, at least at SMG.

Thanks

Glad to hear everything went well. I'm meeting with Matt at SMG in a couple weeks. Man I'm glad you said thta they are booked for several months. I didn't realize it would take that long to get in, but it's good to know they're booked that long in advance. That's a positive thing in my opinion. Thanks for the info.

TRESNHVN:

That was a good post. I had very similar experiences.

The anesthesia part of the procedure is the only "bad" part I'd say. It really can't be avoided anywhere because you have to numb up a big area. Sorry that means a lot of needles. The back felt worse than the top for me.

But . . . it only lasts like 10 minutes then the valium puts you in happy land. I think I slept for a couple of hours during the procedure.

I do sincerely appreciate the professionalism that SMG showed during my procedure. I'm glad you had a similarly good experience.

The next few months will be very exciting for you! Good luck and happy regrowth!

Other note: Oh yeah, like he said, SMG is usually about 3 months booked out. December is especially tough. It is booked out longer, I'd say. I booked in August for my procedure in December, and still had to "sift" through dates.

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.