HT CAUSING FURTHER HAIRLOSS????

Is it possible that getting a hair transplant would cause further hairloss. I am aware of shock loss but i was wondering if getting a HT would diminish blood supply to the existing hair and cause further permanent hairloss?? Has anybody done any research on this particular topic??thanks

Is it possible that getting a hair transplant would cause further hairloss. I am aware of shock loss but i was wondering if getting a HT would diminish blood supply to the existing hair and cause further permanent hairloss?? Has anybody done any research on this particular topic??thanks

Never heard of anything like this, if others have please chime in.

I highly doubt this would happen since hair loss is caused by DHT, not poor circulation. Getting an HT may temporarily affect blood supply to existing scalp hair but I doubt it.

Shock loss is the only issue I'm aware of regarding the risk of losing more hair because of a HT.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

It is certainly possible to walk away from a procedure with less hair than you started out with. This possibility is compounded when a physician attempts to thicken existing thin hairs by placing grafts in areas of the scalp that are not bald, but thin. Permanent shock loss due to the trauma to the scalp and follicle transection that can occur while making the incisions for the grafts are the two largest culprits.

Luckily, the truly skilled physicians have made every effort to limit the possibility of this from happening. For instance, Dr. Cooley uses innovations like custom blades and ultra-refined follicular-unit transplant techniques that leave clean, precise graft incisions and placement that greatly reduce trauma to the scalp and the risk of transecting existing follicles.

The risk you mentioned is just one more reason to research and find a physician that truly cares about their refined techniques and patient results.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog